The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Nov 29, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #4,819 of 6,859
Question...Is the r3 MQA decoding done prior or after Bluetooth processing? In other words, can I send my decoded MQA via Bluetooth to my Bluetooth headset. (Since v.2.1, my MQA is working perfectly via headphone out.)

Nov 29, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #4,820 of 6,859
What USB cable are you using to connect the Mojo and the R3 (sorry if you have mentioned this already somewhere)... and does it leave the volume active on the R3?
Remember to buy it from Alibaba. It does not leave volume active. I preferred audio quality with USB-C to Micro USB output than USB-C to Audio output to Mojo (Shanling cable I think).

Nov 29, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #4,821 of 6,859
Remember to buy it from Alibaba. It does not leave volume active. I preferred audio quality with USB-C to Micro USB output than USB-C to Audio output to Mojo (Shanling cable I think).
Do you have a link for this otg cable?

Nov 29, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #4,824 of 6,859
And now the option to connect the R3 is gone. And even though I select masters on my R3 they play as flac. I thought it would play MQA.
I don't think all Masters are MQA encoded. Some of mine show MQA when playing and other show flac. I think this was discussed awhile back in the thread.

Nov 30, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #4,828 of 6,859
Does anyone know what the Shanling L2 cable is doing differently to bypass the internal volume control on the R3 when connecting an amp/dac (especially with the mojo)?

I am trying to connect my iDSD nano black label to the R3 and have tried the Apple OTG cable and the iFi OTG cable and both leave the volume active on the R3 as well as the low/high gain settings.

To my ears it sounds much better in high gain but then there is little room to adjust the volume on the nano black label because even with iEMatch it is too loud as soon as you touch the volume.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #4,829 of 6,859
Does anyone know what the Shanling L2 cable is doing differently to bypass the internal volume control on the R3 when connecting an amp/dac (especially with the mojo)?

I am trying to connect my iDSD nano black label to the R3 and have tried the Apple OTG cable and the iFi OTG cable and both leave the volume active on the R3 as well as the low/high gain settings.

To my ears it sounds much better in high gain but then there is little room to adjust the volume on the nano black label because even with iEMatch it is too loud as soon as you touch the volume.

I have no specific information but I think it's safe to assume that the R3 has 2 different digital-out pins connected to the USB-C.
What is not clear is whether the digital signal is exactly the same when EQ is switched off and volume is set to 100%.
With early FW there seemed to be a difference between the Shanling L2 and the HiBy coax cable output, but I could not hear a difference after one of the updates which came in early summer.

I did a quick test with the Mojo, and yes, SQ is better when R3 output is set to 100%. Reducing the R3's output to 30% and increasing gain on the Mojo leads to a more compressed, less airy sound.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #4,830 of 6,859
I have no specific information but I think it's safe to assume that the R3 has 2 different digital-out pins connected to the USB-C.
What is not clear is whether the digital signal is exactly the same when EQ is switched off and volume is set to 100%.
With early FW there seemed to be a difference between the Shanling L2 and the HiBy coax cable output, but I could not hear a difference after one of the updates which came in early summer.

I did a quick test with the Mojo, and yes, SQ is better when R3 output is set to 100%. Reducing the R3's output to 30% and increasing gain on the Mojo leads to a more compressed, less airy sound.
output r3, do you mean the maximum volume to connect it to the mojo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back