The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Dec 3, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #4,831 of 6,859
output r3, do you mean the maximum volume to connect it to the mojo?
Yes - max volume = 100% output (digital, through HiBy coax cable) into Mojo

Dec 3, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #4,833 of 6,859
thanks, better usb-usb to mojo or usb-coaxial?
I use Usb-Coax, because it's mechanically the better solution and they both sound the same to me.

Dec 3, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #4,834 of 6,859
Has anyone seen or heard anything back on "Native" MQA through the Tidal app? Like many of you, I can now see the MQA recordings in Tidal however the R3 identifies them as FLAC whereas when I stream them via DLNA to the R3 they are identified as MQA and light up as 88kHz or 96kHz on my Chord Mojo.

I wonder if R3 MQA support includes everything but Tidal at least at this point. Also, does MQA support only include the first fold of MQA - meaning if the song is natively192 kHz, the R3 will only do the first fold and play it at 96 kHz? Do other devices that support MQA like the Dragonfly, Onkyo/Pioneer DAPs, iFi iDSD Nano and others support full MQA (ie, second fold and 192 kHz)?

Is Joe Blogs or someone from Hiby on these forums to answer any questions?

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #4,835 of 6,859
In early test device, R3 has step count like Hidizs AP80? :)
I found this image on headfonics

options-menu.jpg

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #4,838 of 6,859
Has anyone seen or heard anything back on "Native" MQA through the Tidal app? Like many of you, I can now see the MQA recordings in Tidal however the R3 identifies them as FLAC whereas when I stream them via DLNA to the R3 they are identified as MQA and light up as 88kHz or 96kHz on my Chord Mojo.

I wonder if R3 MQA support includes everything but Tidal at least at this point. Also, does MQA support only include the first fold of MQA - meaning if the song is natively192 kHz, the R3 will only do the first fold and play it at 96 kHz? Do other devices that support MQA like the Dragonfly, Onkyo/Pioneer DAPs, iFi iDSD Nano and others support full MQA (ie, second fold and 192 kHz)?

Is Joe Blogs or someone from Hiby on these forums to answer any questions?
The problem with Hiby R3 and Tidal is - if you notice carefully most of the MQA albums in Tidal have another non-MQA version and whenever you try to search a MQA album, both MQA and non MQA one arrive side by side and R3 streams the non MQA one by default, so R3 can't identify the MQA album in Tidal . If the album in Tidal have only MQA one then R3 streaming it beautifully and showing as MQA. Hiby clearly mentioned in Facebook that they didn't have the permission from Tidal yet. Another problem is you can't tell exact bits rate or sample rate while in Tidal mode. MQA doesn't support digital pass through from any capable device so you can't actually tell about the signals. Thus while you use third party app like Mconnect then R3 can recognize Tidal MQA albums and decode them as MQA.

R3 with offline stored MQA albums - Doing ok. If you want to know the bits and sample rate , go to the properties of the song playing and notice the ' ORFS ' .

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #4,839 of 6,859
The problem with Hiby R3 and Tidal is - if you notice carefully most of the MQA albums in Tidal have another non-MQA version and whenever you try to search a MQA album, both MQA and non MQA one arrive side by side and R3 streams the non MQA one by default, so R3 can't identify the MQA album in Tidal . If the album in Tidal have only MQA one then R3 streaming it beautifully and showing as MQA. Hiby clearly mentioned in Facebook that they didn't have the permission from Tidal yet. Another problem is you can't tell exact bits rate or sample rate while in Tidal mode. MQA doesn't support digital pass through from any capable device so you can't actually tell about the signals. Thus while you use third party app like Mconnect then R3 can recognize Tidal MQA albums and decode them as MQA.

R3 with offline stored MQA albums - Doing ok. If you want to know the bits and sample rate , go to the properties of the song playing and notice the ' ORFS ' .

Hi Palash, appreciate the response. Could you explain what you mean by MQA doesn't support digital pass through from any capable device?

Also, do you know or anyone else know how other DAPs or mobile DACs (iFi iDSD Nano) support MQA? Do they have Tidal permission and is it the full on MQA stream (ie, max out at 192 kHz)?

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #4,840 of 6,859
Hi Palash, appreciate the response. Could you explain what you mean by MQA doesn't support digital pass through from any capable device?

Also, do you know or anyone else know how other DAPs or mobile DACs (iFi iDSD Nano) support MQA? Do they have Tidal permission and is it the full on MQA stream (ie, max out at 192 kHz)?
' MQA doesn't support digital pass through' means the the players can't decode MQA albums fully if you bypass the player inside DAC. For example when i connect my R3 with fiio Q1 mk2 using type c to micro usb cable (Digital connection) , R3 shows its MQA file but the signal coming from it is not fully unfolded. When i used R3 with my Xduoo XD 05 (Digital connection) , the XD05 display showing a lower bit rate sample , that means R3 not decoding MQA when used as a digital transporter.
I use Audioquest Dragonfly Black which is MQA certified, and yes whenever you open Tidal prompt you saying MQA device detected. And fully decode the file to its original bit rate.
Few things to remind, not all the albums are ' MQA Studio' some files are only ' MQA'. only MQA files are mostly 24bit92khz.

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #4,841 of 6,859
' MQA doesn't support digital pass through' means the the players can't decode MQA albums fully if you bypass the player inside DAC. For example when i connect my R3 with fiio Q1 mk2 using type c to micro usb cable (Digital connection) , R3 shows its MQA file but the signal coming from it is not fully unfolded. When i used R3 with my Xduoo XD 05 (Digital connection) , the XD05 display showing a lower bit rate sample , that means R3 not decoding MQA when used as a digital transporter.
I use Audioquest Dragonfly Black which is MQA certified, and yes whenever you open Tidal prompt you saying MQA device detected. And fully decode the file to its original bit rate.
Few things to remind, not all the albums are ' MQA Studio' some files are only ' MQA'. only MQA files are mostly 24bit92khz.

Thanks for taking the time to explain further. Makes total sense now.
I also didn't realize there was a distinction between MQA but i've seen some listed a "MQA Studio" - so that is the full 24bit/192 kHz.
Appreciate the clarification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back