The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Sep 28, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #4,501 of 6,859
Screenshot_2018-09-28-12-50-44.png
I ran into the same issue. Go to settings, USB audio tweaks and see if usb tweak 1 is checked. :smile_phones:

Thank you very much, this solved that issue.

The option was under 'Fine Tuning' or 'Tweaks' item on Settings.

With your help I am able to play tracks from my smartphone that Hiby R3 could not find and play. Shame on you Hiby R3!

Also I have uploaded the error message UAPP displays for an album that is listed in Tidal directory but is not present anymore. Looking at the error message may help Hiby if they are interested.

R3 error message is 'Error code: 4007 Unknown error'.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #4,502 of 6,859
Screenshot_2018-09-28-13-22-23.png
Screenshot_2018-09-28-13-22-23.png
Thank you very much, this solved that issue.

The option was under 'Fine Tuning' or 'Tweaks' item on Settings.

With your help I am able to play tracks from my smartphone that Hiby R3 could not find and play. Shame on you Hiby R3!

Also I have uploaded the error message UAPP displays for an album that is listed in Tidal directory but is not present anymore. Looking at the error message may help Hiby if they are interested.

And here is the corresponding failure to Hiby R3 'Error code:4007 Unknown Error' on UAPP screenshot - it is a timeout that occurs while connecting to Tidal API.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #4,503 of 6,859
So, there is no unknown errors at all. Just bad programming and bad exception handling and very very bad exception handling messages.

I am here to help Hiby if they need any debugging sessions.

And here is the corresponding failure to Hiby R3 'Error:4007 Unknown Error' on UAPP screenshot - it is a timeout that occurs while connecting to Tidal API.

Sep 28, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #4,504 of 6,859

And here is the corresponding failure to Hiby R3 'Error code:4007 Unknown Error' on UAPP screenshot - it is a timeout that occurs while connecting to Tidal API.
What is your rationale for saying that this is the equivalent of error 4007 on the R3? Just wondering--as you may know I'm no longer a HiBy employee.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 28, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #4,505 of 6,859
I open the same Tidal song/album that gives error on both R3 and UAPP. Of course the wireless network, wireless settings, distance to router etc are the same. Only the hardware and software is different.

Then I hold R3 on my left hand and tap on the song giving the error and record the error. Then I tap the same song on UAPP I hold on my right hand and take screenshot of error message. The time difference between these two errors are less than 10 seconds.

The end result is the same - song does not get played.

So
- I give the same input to both
- I get error message on both
- I get the same end result
- R3 and UAPP are accessing Tidal using an API as described by Tidal to get information and to play tracks, so it is impossible that Tidal API is returning different response codes to different applications ( no one bothers to keep different API that is accessed ftom outside - no one has that much money to build and maintain multiple API s).

So, the error must be the same, right ?

Hiby R3 giving 'unknown error' messages does not mean other software developers will not do their jobs properly and output meaningful messages containing their method names etc.

For gods sake, there are at least 2 C# open source projects to stream Tidal.

https://github.com/jackfagner/OpenTidl

https://github.com/Pwnoz0r/TidalSharp

All the programmer has to do is look at how these work, how connections work and what errors are checked for.

Programming in C++ ? Find a C++ project, I won't do that for Hiby.

What is your rationale for saying that this is the equivalent of error 4007 on the R3? Just wondering--as you may know I'm no longer a HiBy employee.

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #4,506 of 6,859
I open the same Tidal song/album that gives error on both R3 and UAPP. Of course the wireless network, wireless settings, distance to router etc are the same. Only the hardware and software is different.

Then I hold R3 on my left hand and tap on the song giving the error and record the error. Then I tap the same song on UAPP I hold on my right hand and take screenshot of error message. The time difference between these two errors are less than 10 seconds.

The end result is the same - song does not get played.

So
- I give the same input to both
- I get error message on both
- I get the same end result
- R3 and UAPP are accessing Tidal using an API as described by Tidal to get information and to play tracks, so it is impossible that Tidal API is returning different response codes to different applications ( no one bothers to keep different API that is accessed ftom outside - no one has that much money to build and maintain multiple API s).

So, the error must be the same, right ?

Hiby R3 giving 'unknown error' messages does not mean other software developers will not do their jobs properly and output meaningful messages containing their method names etc.

For gods sake, there are at least 2 C# open source projects to stream Tidal.

https://github.com/jackfagner/OpenTidl

https://github.com/Pwnoz0r/TidalSharp

All the programmer has to do is look at how these work, how connections work and what errors are checked for.

Programming in C++ ? Find a C++ project, I won't do that for Hiby.
If the R3 were failing with this error code only where other players are also failing, we won't even have these complaints and discussion in the first place will we?

The sore point has always been when the R3 returns an "unknown error" while other players play fine from the same network. And here the errors ARE by definition "unknown".

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 29, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #4,507 of 6,859
I tried the R3 again with the Micro BL after updating to latest FW and it seems the usb out volume is drastically reduced... Am i overlooking any settings? The volume was at 95 on the R3
@fanoble

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #4,509 of 6,859
Noticed same issue, now usb volume is low than previous update.
I can also confirm this on my Mojo fed via USB from the R3. Using the Fiio USB C version. Haven't noticed any sound changes tho, other then volume, but that's only after an evening of active speaker listening.

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #4,510 of 6,859
Noticed same issue, now usb volume is low than previous update.

I can also confirm this on my Mojo fed via USB from the R3. Using the Fiio USB C version. Haven't noticed any sound changes tho, other then volume, but that's only after an evening of active speaker listening.
Yes the volume but the decrease is drastic. Volume on R3 was 95... Dial on eco mode was at 2 O'clock and i could barely hear anything!

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #4,511 of 6,859
Sure. My point is, these errors are not unknown at all, other people know what these are.

In case of 4007, they are even trying multiple times if there is a network related issue, a latency issue, a slow response issue.. and so on.

In some cases it seems R3 is not even trying to contact Tidal servers at all - I tap on something, it immediately gives 'unknown error'. I don't think it even waits for a response from Tidal API servers.

My main point is this: R3 OS is a wireless network connected one, so without wireless is is useless, and Hiby's OS experience from disconnected OS is useless as experience for this device.

Wireless network connections are still shaky after decades in use, so if you want to have as problem free device as possible, your WiFi chip and antennas must be top quality, antenna placement must be flawless, hardware design around wireless chip must be solid to remove any interference and do on.

So, basically R3 is a 'wireless embedded IoT device' and that must be the base for OS design.

Top quality DAC chip ? Sure, that's the requirement for sound reproduction. Top quality wireless chip ? That is the most essential requirement for a wireless device design - it will make or break the product.

These symptoms show that there are problems happening while requests are handled between Tidal API, wireless chip API, general network connection API of OS , caching mechanism between these API, and error handling and reporting between these API. Even the most basic CPU can handle thousands of complex operations each microsecond, so VPU can make thousands of extra checks if instructed. Here it doesn't seem to be enough or relevant checks.

It all starts with error handling and outputting correct messages between these API to see what is going on.

Hope this helps.

If the R3 were failing with this error code only where other players are also failing, we won't even have these complaints and discussion in the first place will we?

The sore point has always been when the R3 returns an "unknown error" while other players play fine from the same network. And here the errors ARE by definition "unknown".

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #4,512 of 6,859
Hiby have just posted on FB that Error 4007 is because people are attempting to play expired songs. Looks like the Tidal API is returning some songs that are no longer there, there's going to be a mid-October update that removes those tracks from the list

Sep 30, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #4,515 of 6,859
I experienced reduced bass compared to expectations with this unit. Certainly less bass than all other DAP units that I currently own. Why? Don't know; but impedance issues could explain my experience.
You could always manage your expectations.... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back