The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 6, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #3,392 of 6,859
I have a few issues with R3.

1. I cannot play any songs via Tidal. If I was able to manually enter a DNS in wireless setup of R3, I could have fixed it. There is no manual DNS option in my wireless router setup.
  2. I cannot log on to the internet at work. Because it requires me to enter username and pass after connection. There is no pop-up or anything on R3. It just says connection failed.
  3. I cannot use any public wi-fi hotspots. Free wireless connection at coffee houses etc. calls a webpage for the authentication. But R3 just says connection failed.
  4. When wi-fi is on I can hear some RFI noise mostly on the left channel if there is nothing playing. I can hear it with only Shure SE846 though.
  5. Even if the in-line remote option is checked, I cannot use my RHA MA750i's remote.

Overall I am satisfied with the sound and offline capabilities. Display is just beautiful no need to comment on that.
I have the same Tidal issue but have not found any song that plays - all fail to load.

Hiby said to change my DNS on router but didn’t say what to or why.

Can you explain or give any insight into the issue and potential work around?
Thanks,

Jul 6, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #3,393 of 6,859
I have the same Tidal issue but have not found any song that plays - all fail to load.

Hiby said to change my DNS on router but didn’t say what to or why.

Can you explain or give any insight into the issue and potential work around?
Thanks,

Yea, I'd like to know as well.

Looks like it might not be R3 problem, but Tidal port problem on our router like one user said. Can you try to play a song from Tidal app on your phone on the same wifi? My guess is it won't work...

I've ran Tidal off more than a dozen sources from my same Wifi and haven't had any issues.

Jul 6, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #3,394 of 6,859
Yea, I'd like to know as well.

I've ran Tidal off more than a dozen sources from my same Wifi and haven't had any issues.

Me too I can play Tidal on all my other devices just fine. Hiby mentioned to change DNS but not what to?
In the same breath they also told me to be patient for updates so maybe its a known bug. Actual words were we will check and fix this issue soon. I was just hoping there is a work around I can try?

Jul 7, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #3,397 of 6,859
No joy here :frowning2:
I did manage OTA upgrade to 1.09, BUT:
Using new SanDisk 200GB card - I tried to plug to mac mini, which did not recognize the microSD card. downloaded the formatter utility from sdcard.org website, formatted the card (ExFAT with 128KB allocation units) - so far so good...
Trying to copy music to it - it keep losing connection every few songs! Tried both on mac (latest MacOS) and PC (windows 7).

How do you guys manage to copy anything to it?! Do I have a bad unit?
I did try to remove the microSD card, and plug it back (powered off the R3) - same behavior.

VERY frustrating. Never had those issues with R6 (or M0 or any FiiO DAP).
Is there a way to format the card inside the R3? I did not see an option for formating in the menu.
After formatting the card on windows 7 machine directly in the SD card reader - I could finally copy music.
Unfortunately, something is still VERY wrong with it :frowning2:
While a song plays (all FLAC) - ANY navigation (to different artist / album) causes a 1-2 second stutter. Then song resumes, stutters once more, and continues.
That is without me actually starting another song. Just navigating to different folder or album.
Brand new SanDisk 200GB card, formatted as exFAT, R3 at latest 1.09 firmware. WiFi and BT - both off. Approx. 50-60GB filled on the card.
@Joe Bloggs - Am I doing something wrong?! I never ever had such issues with my R6. So far, very bad experience for me :frowning2:

Jul 7, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #3,398 of 6,859
No joy here :frowning2:
I did manage OTA upgrade to 1.09, BUT:
Using new SanDisk 200GB card - I tried to plug to mac mini, which did not recognize the microSD card. downloaded the formatter utility from sdcard.org website, formatted the card (ExFAT with 128KB allocation units) - so far so good...
Trying to copy music to it - it keep losing connection every few songs! Tried both on mac (latest MacOS) and PC (windows 7).

How do you guys manage to copy anything to it?! Do I have a bad unit?
I did try to remove the microSD card, and plug it back (powered off the R3) - same behavior.

VERY frustrating. Never had those issues with R6 (or M0 or any FiiO DAP).
Is there a way to format the card inside the R3? I did not see an option for formating in the menu.
Remove the card from player and drag and drop files directly to it works for me using windows 10.

Jul 7, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #3,399 of 6,859
I think its a big error, and as mentioned something that has been known for many months. Hoping for something more than:
Faq: If you have so many files (insert number) shuffle all songs do not work. Solution: remove files
Well i got my card up to just over 5000 files and i am still good. Gonna push it further though. I know i will hit the limit at some point

Jul 7, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #3,400 of 6,859
Remove the card from player and drag and drop files directly to it works for me using windows 10.
How did you format the card?
Something is screwed up - navigating between folders or albums (through R3 GUI) is VERY laggy. Like 2-3 seconds after screen press until it displays the folder content (folder is 1 album, so 10-15 tracks on average).
Want to format card. again. Tried exFAT with 128KB allocation unit size (for 200GB card). Will try again...

Jul 7, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #3,401 of 6,859
I’m using a 64gb card, it seems that the r3 plays nicely with cards up to that size. I haven’t got any bigger than 128gb, but haven’t tried them yet. Formatting, I used windows 10 to do that for me.

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #3,402 of 6,859
Both my 400gb Sandisk cards used in my Fiio x7ii work without any problems. exFAT, 1200+ tracks mostly Flac & DSD. Filled by drag and drop on a Windows 10 pc to at least 3 other daps over the last 6 months.

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #3,403 of 6,859
Lot of issues, lot of issues, it's quite bad Hiby. Maybe open sourcing at least a part of the OS would be good ? I'm sure that a lot of us would love to help.
Also, where the luck is that leather case ? Didn't you say late June ?

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #3,404 of 6,859
Well i got my card up to just over 5000 files and i am still good. Gonna push it further though. I know i will hit the limit at some point

I just tried my 128GB card from the ap60 that I have used with no issues since I got that Dap. The sd card has around 8000 files and the r3 hangs on ★ (Blackstar).

Hiby solution: Dont answer questions you have no answer for

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #3,405 of 6,859
After just reading this thread for about 3 Months i registered to share :D
I got mine on Thursday. However, because Hiby cheated with the bill, I got a call from customs that the bill is doubted. I had to send a proof of purchase and in the end I paid 87,22 € customs and german taxes. Very sad...Hiby rated the R3 as 25 $ in the invoice.
The device itself, on the other hand, is pretty good. My F9 Pro IEMs are pretty clear and open on this device. Also, the Hifiman Sundara gets more airy on the device again noticeably. Likewise, I have no problems with Tidal to connect, only stutter when playing in some songs.
Got a 400GB card in it. Shuffling all songs (about 8000) is no Problem at all. Only Problems with Songs having Characters like ä ö ü or ! ? in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back