The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 2, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #3,197 of 6,859
I'll wait, it's just covers and stupid wifi nothing major but thanks ! I'll pm Joe if nothing changes on 1.1
If you have n't tagged your music correctly then no FW update will correct it. Change your routers password to something simple you can not input wrong, chech the router can see the R3. I can get at least 20m from my ISP provoded router so wifi is strong. See if that helps.

Jul 2, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #3,198 of 6,859
Hi guys,

Backer number 12xx got his R3 in Europe.

I like it a lot though I do have some issues:
- non of my album cover works, I tried cover.jpg cover.png folder.jpg and folder.png without any success.
- the wifi doesn't work neither, tried 2.4 and 5ghz, also different hotspots but it always shows "Connection failed"
- some lags
Beside those points it's a hell of a device and I'm very happy.

Thanks Hiby !

-Try resizing all your covers to 600*600 pixels. I used a windows software known as FastStone Photo Resizer. It detects all images in a folder including subfolder. ALL OF MY ALBUMS NOW SHOW ALBUM ART.
- Try changing the channel setting of your wifi router. Your channel might be a fixed no. Changing it to random/automatic might help.
- Have no solution for that.

Cheers and have a good day :)

Jul 2, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #3,199 of 6,859
Like I said I'm not sure if this applies to the R3, but it does to other Hiby app based players. So it's something to look into. I don't have nearly that much music, do it's a non-issue for me.

But to answer your question:
1. Because it technically accept 2TB cards.
2. If you have a large High Res/DSD collection you might need LOTS of storage.
3. 2TB cards don't exist anyway.

I just got mine and tried to load a 256gb card with close to 25K songs and it stopped at 20K. In addition, the instant scroll feature on the right side from A-Z didn't seem to work when trying to quickly get from an A artist to Z artist.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #3,200 of 6,859
No. It actually hasn't shipped.

From DHL:

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Unfortunately, our records indicate that your shipment has not been physically handed over to DHL yet. The shipping label was made, but the package has not been shipped out. I suggest contacting the shipper to see when it will be shipped out. Once it is we will be able to provide you an estimated delivery date. My system does not indicate that the sender has dropped it off, or asked for DHL to pick it up yet

Jul 2, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #3,201 of 6,859
I just got mine and tried to load a 256gb card with close to 25K songs and it stopped at 20K. In addition, the instant scroll feature on the right side from A-Z didn't seem to work when trying to quickly get from an A artist to Z artist.
I've heard that 15k songs is the limit. Surprised you got that far.

Jul 2, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #3,203 of 6,859
Got my grey beauty tonight (one day early, thanks to DHL), and after updating the firmware (seriously guys, are you on a 28.8 modem?), I'm starting to put it through its paces. The AKG K7XXs take about 100 on most music to drive them loud enough, but the FH1s with a balanced cable are amazing! Steely Dan sounds about as good as I've ever heard it.

I know there was a lot of hand-wringing and whining over the delays, but my first impressions are that this was worth every second of the wait. I hope everyone gets theirs soon so they can stop b!tching and start enjoying good music. :L3000:

Jul 2, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #3,204 of 6,859
I agree, got mine today, updated firmware, set eq and mseb similar to my r6 and it sounds really nice, probably just not quite loud enough for me (using on 3.5, i dont have anything balanced to try). Its smaller and lighter than I imagined, looks great though. Quick to start, media scanned quick, UI is pretty quick. Touch screen is pretty responsive, top icons seem to be the hardest to hit first time though, must be because its checking for swipe downs from the top, maybe they can put everything on the swipe up screen instead? Overall its a great little player.

Update: I just realised, when I set the eq I had no issues setting it to the exact db on each band i wanted, unlike the r6 where it seems to jump above or below when I release my finger driving me nuts :/

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #3,205 of 6,859
Got my r3 today. Pretty impressed so far. I was able to log into Tidal and see my account, but couldn't play anything.

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #3,206 of 6,859
Congrats to all recipients. Mine still stalled in Hong Kong. DHL has not seen it yet.

Jul 2, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #3,207 of 6,859
400gb card no issues with cover art 1200+ tracks, 15000 songs is around 1200 cds (what's you problem!!!!!!!) plug in a 2TB ssd works fine (thought its a bit battery hungry) if you need more space. No WiFi problems with BT hub 5, work WiFi or Scotrail trains WiFi. Give it 50 hours of use it gets less treble harsh and opens up. Sounds good with iems many times the price of the R3 even with no eq.:)

Well, i currently have 25K songs on the card in my V20, but like i said i have 8 to 10,000 CDs...1200 isnt that much. :wink:
But no, i dont need my entire collection, but would like to know it can scan and work with more than 10-15k, otherwise, it doesn't matter if it works with larger cards. And dont think many people have huge collections with only hi-res large files yet (DSD). Also, is it slow to access files, or starts quickly? Glad you're liking it so far... Im just trying to see if it will work for me, not a backer, only considering fir future purchase, and if its truly an upgrade from my v20.

Jul 2, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #3,208 of 6,859
As owner of sp1000 zx2 r3 and many others before, i agree...

But sp1000 and Utopia is not same as r3 and Utopia...

But currently enjoying my r3 with f9 at the beach, fantastic

Of course not, 1 is a headphone another is a DAP :dt880smile:
For the R3 price to build quality/features ratio, i've yet to see any competing at that level (except Apple, but their limited storage and format is a big minus)

Exactly what i find very minimal sound difference its either warmish sounding or sterile sounding (yuk!!)

Yep, just different flavors :D
If there is anything i miss about the AK products it would be their design and build quality. Other than that, absolutely nothing...

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #3,209 of 6,859
Hey Guys, got my R3 today and it is beautiful and sounds wonderful. Although there seems to be an issue with the "shuffle" function. I popped in my 200gb card with just shy of 15,000 track on it. I set the play mode to shuffle and started the first track. all was well until it moved to the second track ( Like Clockwork/ Queens of the Stone Age). This track then repeated multiple times only with a different track number (4455, 8641, etc.). Occasionally another random track would be thrown into mix, then another 5 or 6 repeat plays of Like Clockwork. Is this an issue that has already been discovered and if so is there a future firmware fix in the work?

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #3,210 of 6,859
The saga continues
-Try resizing all your covers to 600*600 pixels. I used a windows software known as FastStone Photo Resizer. It detects all images in a folder including subfolder. ALL OF MY ALBUMS NOW SHOW ALBUM ART.
- Try changing the channel setting of your wifi router. Your channel might be a fixed no. Changing it to random/automatic might help.
- Have no solution for that.

Cheers and have a good day :)
You could also try tagscanner. Brilliant piece of software. Did you get your r3? Our Indian customs are ensuring mine goes back.. and added with DHL mammoth incompetence it looks like I'll wait to wait a long time for mine to get to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back