The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 2, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #3,166 of 6,859
As someone who used to own high end DAPs, e.g. AK100, AK240, ZX2... just enjoy whatever DAP you are using even if it costs below $200. Once you've outgrown hype-fi you'll realize the difference between most well implemented DAPs are very minimal to negligible regardless of the dumb pricing you see nowadays.

As owner of sp1000 zx2 r3 and many others before, i agree...

But sp1000 and Utopia is not same as r3 and Utopia...

But currently enjoying my r3 with f9 at the beach, fantastic

Jul 2, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #3,167 of 6,859
@Joe Bloggs One thing is really annoying, the clock time that keeps resetting to Beijing Time. Every time you connect to WiFi it resets ......
Also the loading time of the cover art is really long ... I've got a Samsung Class 10 UHS-I U3.
Could it be optimized in the next patch ?

Jul 2, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #3,168 of 6,859
As someone who used to own high end DAPs, e.g. AK100, AK240, ZX2... just enjoy whatever DAP you are using even if it costs below $200. Once you've outgrown hype-fi you'll realize the difference between most well implemented DAPs are very minimal to negligible regardless of the dumb pricing you see nowadays.
Exactly what i find very minimal sound difference its either warmish sounding or sterile sounding (yuk!!)

Jul 2, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #3,169 of 6,859
I’m wondering about the fit you had on the F9 Pro. I found that I needed to switch to smaller tips to get the bass response I wanted. The tips that came fitted out of the box yielded a sound signature like the one you describe.
I thought it might have been that too. I tried about 8 different tips from my other sets that fit well but just still wasnt dping it for me. A reall shame as they were actually some of the most comfortable fitting and stunningly made iems I've had.

But again for different musical genres they may be fine for other people.

Jul 2, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #3,170 of 6,859
Thx, will see if there’s stock, as it’s not a big priority for me atm will keep my eyes open for sales or clearance prices on quality ones that aren’t selling for whatever reason.

I think I remember the F5 & F9’s were being cleared out if I’m not mistaken even the F9Pro, will have to check, the 1 More Triple as well as whole back but will keep a look out!

Hope they work for you!

Got a treat for you.

Do you/have you watched ‘Endeavour’ the young Morse before he became Insp Morse?

Well if you haven’t watch this episode
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5433634/ & I think near the early part of the show he’s in a beautiful church/cathedral like performance theatre or something [been a while since I’ve seen it some time last year]
But he’s listening to a performance of Eric Satie’s Gnossienne No.1 on an French glass instrument like a glass tubular harpsichord or something played by a group called the Hope Ensemble.!

The effect in the that performance as Endeavour listens to it is quite stunning, best if you can watch the episode just for the effect.

But here’s the link in yt & I’m sure you’ll appreciate it with your iem of choice esp if you can dl the track into your R3, simply stunningly beautiful music of course no matter what instrument it’s pkayed on but on this glass performance almost sounds like a theramin, transcendent...

Enjoy.!

Here’s the groups webpage to order the album.
http://www.hopensemble.eu/-Discography-?lang=en#raccourci_contenu

Very haunting.

Jul 2, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #3,171 of 6,859
From Kickstarter:

HiBy R3 Shipping Status update
mail
For backers only

Posted by HiBy Music (Creator)

Dear Backers,

Firstly, we want to apologize to the backers who haven’t received their R3s yet. We’re so sorry for so much inconvenience all the delayed shipments have caused.

Secondly, we want to say we have always tried to be completely transparent with you. However, with so many moving parts, information does get scrutinized and we understanding there may be still some misunderstandings roaming around. We want to take this opportunity today to clear up the air about any misunderstandings we’ve seen amongst the backers.

We want to restate and confirm once again all the units, except for those missing a shipment address, have already been shipped out. We decided to use a shipping agency to fulfill all the orders because we thought they would have more experience and can get it done efficiently. After much communication, we want to state again all the units have been shipped and will be delivered via DHL.

This is the process of how each product has been shipped. Once we send all the products to the shipping agency, they pack each product and ship them to their Hong Kong warehouse. From there on, they’ll create the DHL labels (tracking numbers) for each order for the next shipping route. When the labels are processed, they will send the products to the DHL HK office to ship out. It take a few days for the products to process the customs clearance and arrived in DHL HK office.

Recently DHL is under a stricter control for what they classify as sensitive product, which includes items with batteries, powders, liquids, etc due to some explosion incidents that have occured in April and May in Hong Kong. Since R3 (batteries) is considered a sensitive product, they go under a strict examination when all the parcels arrive at the HK DHL.

Due to all the reasons above, the R3’s shipping time is taking longer than expected. However, we really can’t believer that some backers still have not received their orders yet and quite sorry about the hassle this has caused. This is the first time we’ve ever encountered a situation like this and tried our best to handle it the best we can.

Please believe us when we say we are doing our best to process and follow each shipment. We’ve greatly appreciate everyone’s patience so far and please wait a few more days for your order to show up. There are a few tracking numbers that have not been updated yet, we’re talking to the shipping agency and DHL to fix the tracking numbers within this week.

We have so much respect and are so grateful for this opportunity. We understand how frustrated you are as days pass and still no product. However, we sincerely hope you can understand and wait a little bit more. We always try to take full responsibility for our actions and commitments.

HiBy greatly appreciates all the backers’ support and patience from the bottom of our hearts. We are still doing our best to resolve all the tracking number issues and answer as many backer questions or requests.We will keep you posted for any more updates.

PS #1:Most of the parcels already arrived in the designated destination, please kindly mail to service@hiby.com if you need any assistance ( shipping document ) for the custom clearance in your side. We will do our best to support you.

PS #2: For some region, we used other carrier rather than DHL.

Bests,

HiBy Music Team

Jul 2, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #3,172 of 6,859
I have had the R3 for 1 week now and I have stopped using it. A couple of minor glitches, 1/3 of album art missing, slow to show album art that is available, but I could live with that. I have been listening to a Pono player going on 4 years through balanced cables to Custom Art Fibae 2 custom iem's. They have always sounded great. I also have Heir 3s iems and a pair of older custom iem's from a local builder. None of these iem's sound good on the Hiby. In fact, after 5 minutes or so I have to remove the iem's, the sound is that fatiguing. Now I have not listened to music through a cell phone so I can't say if the Hiby is better than a phone but I can say that is not a quality sounding player to my ears. I wonder if any one else who finally got one of these players has a similar experience. I only listen to 44/16 or higher resolution so streaming is out for my tastes. It's like there is a random frequency that interferes with the playback.

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #3,173 of 6,859
I have had the R3 for 1 week now and I have stopped using it. A couple of minor glitches, 1/3 of album art missing, slow to show album art that is available, but I could live with that. I have been listening to a Pono player going on 4 years through balanced cables to Custom Art Fibae 2 custom iem's. They have always sounded great. I also have Heir 3s iems and a pair of older custom iem's from a local builder. None of these iem's sound good on the Hiby. In fact, after 5 minutes or so I have to remove the iem's, the sound is that fatiguing. Now I have not listened to music through a cell phone so I can't say if the Hiby is better than a phone but I can say that is not a quality sounding player to my ears. I wonder if any one else who finally got one of these players has a similar experience. I only listen to 44/16 or higher resolution so streaming is out for my tastes. It's like there is a random frequency that interferes with the playback.

Have tried changing the gain setting?
I had the Hiby R6 which I sold recently and it's well missed.
The R3 is not going to be in that league but sounds good to me for the price paid.
Yep the album art is slow. Hopefully they will sort that out.
Not sure what the random frequencies would be. maybe switch off Wifi and bluetooth and see if that clears the noise.

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #3,174 of 6,859
Have tried changing the gain setting?
I had the Hiby R6 which I sold recently and it's well missed.
The R3 is not going to be in that league but sounds good to me for the price paid.
Yep the album art is slow. Hopefully they will sort that out.
Not sure what the random frequencies would be. maybe switch off Wifi and bluetooth and see if that clears the noise.
I tried all of the above fixes. I don't normally use EQ but even that made no difference. As for 1/3 of the album art missing, well it's all there on my other 2 devices. Maybe it's a dud.

Jul 2, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #3,175 of 6,859
I used to rock a V20/PX combo. Let me try to answer your queries in the same order :wink:

Sound quality is ok, I would say it is more a sidegrade. Detail retrieval is about tied, but different tuning. My V20 H990DS B&O play tuned version has a milder version of the R3 signature, which is fairly accurately described by Headfonics/Headfonia as a touch more bass quantity and less bass detail, contrasted with a slightly cleaner treble which works well on the move. The V20 to my ears has a mild midbass bump but not as much as R3. I think the V20 treble is a touch sharper and brighter than the R3.

R3 power is less than V20 on high impedance mode. I run my Pinnacle PX (same as P1) on about 60-80/100 on unbalanced low gain, 40-60/100 on balanced low gain. V20 drives HD600 a bit easier at about 60% volume, I do that on R3 high gain unbalanced at about 70-80% if you are into headphones.

I don't have a 400GB card only 64GB... if I recall correctly there is a file number cap at up to 15000 files but I can't recall where I read that from.

MSEB and EQ only have one custom preset. MSEB is interesting and works different to EQ, which is useful but now I've switched to listening without either enabled. Don't have more info haha.

I am old school and stick to wired. All I can say is if V20 finally gets its Oreo update, you will already have LDAC on your phone and do not need the R3's functionality, unless you want to avoid Android resampling/using bit perfect workarounds on Android.

The interface is great, but if you are purely hunting for sound quality, do check out the DP-S1 review in my signature. If I had multiple DAPs and had to choose only one, I will put up with the crappy interface and get that. Neutral to a fault and reviewed by others to be nearly as good sound quality as its big brother DP-X1, as well as at the measurement lab.
Or, stick with your V20 (amazing gcam mod and audio recording), and get the next Hiby model that appears next year :D

Cheers.

Jul 2, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #3,177 of 6,859
Thanks so much! I still like my v20, and am pleased with the sound overall. I do like lots of detail and sparkle, but dont mind some kicking bass either. The P1/v20 combo can be a bit too harsh at times, and i wouldnt mind more bass (although i hate muddy thumpy, love very deep fast impact). Really would still like a dedicated music player, as i also use my phone a lot for calls and work stuff - and would probably be better to get my 25k songs off of it to make it run faster! :wink: The v20 was intended as my stop-gap while waiting on the Pro-X dap though, as i originally also had Note7 as my phone :frowning2:
So, still considering a player, but as you say, maybe i could wait for the next version.
My main concerns with R3 would be 1)enough power to drive P1
2)sound balanced or able to eq to taste
3)quality of bluetooth
I also use Bluewave Get with v20, both having aptx HD, so don't want lesser sq--know there is hope for the sony codec, but is that for sure, and also need that for a receiver.
4)able to sort/play LOTS of files. As i said, i have around 7-10k CDs ripped to flac, plus probably as many albums as mp3 downloads. So hoping at least a 400gb card filled with music can work.
I dont really stream music. But like all of my card to be able to sort/random play from.
Thanks again for the help! Really like size, screen, features of r3.. Seems very close to my liking. :wink:

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #3,178 of 6,859
..it is not forgiving with mp3 files it just sounds hollow and lacks any depth to the sound ...have you tried Hi-res stuff

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #3,180 of 6,859
Hi guys,

Backer number 12xx got his R3 in Europe.

I like it a lot though I do have some issues:
- non of my album cover works, I tried cover.jpg cover.png folder.jpg and folder.png without any success.
- the wifi doesn't work neither, tried 2.4 and 5ghz, also different hotspots but it always shows "Connection failed"
- some lags
Beside those points it's a hell of a device and I'm very happy.

Thanks Hiby !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back