The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jun 18, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #2,461 of 6,859
Got my R3, can't get USB DAC to work smoothly on Windows 10 MusicBee. Some tracks play ok some not. Is there a ASIO version or is it only WASAPI @Joe Bloggs @fanoble? Also still figuring out what MusicBee settings work to get playlist files working in R3.

So far so good - the detail retrieval for sound is good though there is definitely some processing going on with the MSEB/equalizer off :wink: The headfonia/fonics reviews hit the nail on the head about bass and treble taking a slightly different approach but coming together for a great sound.

It would be good if some of the buttons are larger - the now playing's play/skip buttons have a lot of empty space around them, and the back button at the top left is sometimes too small and triggers the slidedown panel as a result.

But this is very competent overall, will be listening and possibly writing a quick review if I have time.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #2,462 of 6,859
I had this issue as well. Tidal wasn't working over the weekend. I could log in and see my playlists, search, etc. However, I would get the "playback failed" message. Brought the R3 to work today and it works. Could it be a network setting on our routers? Not sure as my work network is just as secure or more secure than my home network. Need to figure out why home vs work is different.

@Joe Bloggs

There are a couple of reports (in HiBy User Group on Facebook) of issues with Tidal playback -- "Playback Failed" error pops up when trying to play any track. Is this a known issue? Any fixes or workarounds?

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #2,463 of 6,859
I had this issue as well. Tidal wasn't working over the weekend. I could log in and see my playlists, search, etc. However, I would get the "playback failed" message. Brought the R3 to work today and it works. Could it be a network setting on our routers? Not sure as my work network is just as secure or more secure than my home network. Need to figure out why home vs work is different.

Wonder if both networks are 5G/2.4G or just 2.4G? Sometimes 5G connects better/faster.

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #2,464 of 6,859
Bingo. You nailed it. At home I broadcast at 2.4 GHz for distance reasons but at work I use 5GHz. At work, I switched to a 2.4GHz network and Tidal stopped working.

The only weird thing is that I can and do use Tidal at home via desktop Tidal on my computer > iFi IOne on a 2.4GHz network and there are no issues with streaming.

Will play around later with phone hotspot LTE to see if that is fast enough to support a connect R3 playing Tidal. I was hoping this would be possible when on the go with no wifi available.

EDIT:
Tested LTE hotspot via iPhone X and Tidal would stream but it was choppy. I'll blame that on just not a great Verizon service area. In any case, my home network is much faster than LTE and Tidal would give playback failure error. May not come down to 2.4 vs 5 GHz in the end, but I am glad Tidal is working and I'll figure out what setting I need to change on my home network. Hopefully this is useful to some people that were also getting the playback failure error.

Wonder if both networks are 5G/2.4G or just 2.4G? Sometimes 5G connects better/faster.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #2,465 of 6,859
b9RcGJ9.jpg

Arrived this pm in the UK, a cleaner sound than my Pioneer XDP-30R as detailed as my X7ii via balanced SE846. UI will take a bit of getting use to but first impressions positive :beerchug: time for a beer :ksc75smile: and more listening.

Jun 18, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #2,469 of 6,859
I have not found a way to connect to dlna/Lan. Am I missng something? I have enabled the dlna option but can't see where I can connect in practice. Anyone?

Same here, on other devices a list of drives to connect to comes up.

Jun 18, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #2,470 of 6,859
Same here, on other devices a list of drives to connect to comes up.
It seems it's missing the menu tab that normal Hiby app features.
On my R6 there is a tab option named DLNA/LAN that scans your local network giving you the ability to connect to local devices.

I can't find this option in the R3 even though I have enabled DLNA in ''wireless settings''.

Jun 18, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #2,473 of 6,859
It seems it's missing the menu tab that normal Hiby app features.
On my R6 there is a tab option named DLNA/LAN that scans your local network giving you the ability to connect to local devices.

I can't find this option in the R3 even though I have enabled DLNA in ''wireless settings''.

Same here, even after the firmware update

Users who are viewing this thread

Back