The NEW Headphone Lounge Thread
Feb 18, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #82 of 719
just ordered a set of the smaller gauge occ silver cables for my se846! ABSOLUTELY CAN'T WAIT TO GET THEM!

also, would like to compliment ted for making my first time ordering anything from overseas a breeze :) will post pics as soon as i have them!

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #86 of 719
  I’ve been using Ted’s (Ted from headphonelounge.com) magic OCC Silver cable now for less than a couple days. At first I was blown away by the beauty of the silver opalescent cable and the braided texture that I’ve never had the pleasure of seeing first hand before. The workmanship of the wood is first class. The fit is better than the standard 846 cables since the over-the-ear wire is a bit more flexible and it also feels lighter. Now the 846 feels much more similar to my 530s. The added detail of the wood, Y block and overall look/feel set this cable apart from anything factory made.

Aesthetics aside, the sound quality of the 846 has taken a leap forward. Same source, IEM, tips, different cable; magic. The sound stage is open, airy and simply better than stock. It doesn’t change the sound, just opens it up, making it cleaner and crisper, and adds detail and clarity. I had Ted terminate the cable in RSA and also make a matching adaptor for RSA-3.5. It matches beautifully and the amazing magical sound I’m hearing at this point is with the RSA-3.5 adapter via phone/PC. I am planning to try this setup with a CL Theorem 720 via RSA just as soon as the new ear molds come back from this Audiologist.

Bottom Line: If you have the 846 and want to take them to the next level of aesthetics and sound, one of Teds custom OCC Silver cables is a great option. Toss on some custom molds and an AK or Cypher Labs dac and you’ve got yourself a rig of envy by almost anyone. 

I am also looking for a cable upgrade for my 846. However, I have no experience with iem cables. Ted offers a variety of cable types: COPPER/SILVER PLATED COPPER/HYBRID/SILVER.
Does anyone have any comments on other types of cables besides pure silver with 846? Also, there are 24AWG and 30AWG silver cables. Is there a significant difference between the two?  

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #87 of 719
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only difference in the two is gauge. In theory, the slightly higher gauge should transfer a little cleaner.

We've all tried another blend cable with the 846, the stock cable. In sure Ted offers those as affordable stock replacements.

For me, the small cost difference between the two OCC and the silver blend made it a no brainer. It really does make a huge difference and for around $200, anyone who has the 846 should have no problem affording one.

Justus

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #88 of 719
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only difference in the two is gauge. In theory, the slightly higher gauge should transfer a little cleaner.

We've all tried another blend cable with the 846, the stock cable. In sure Ted offers those as affordable stock replacements.

For me, the small cost difference between the two OCC and the silver blend made it a no brainer. It really does make a huge difference and for around $200, anyone who has the 846 should have no problem affording one.

Justus

30AWG could make it a bit more flexible as well compared to 24AWG, it would seem, but I am not sure if there is a noticeable difference quality wise. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #89 of 719
One more questions, between NEUTRIK, OYAIDE, VIABLUE and FBI Custom, which one is smaller? Looks to be VIABLUE?

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #90 of 719
One more questions, between NEUTRIK, OYAIDE, VIABLUE and FBI Custom, which one is smaller? Looks to be VIABLUE?

You also have to know what DAP or player do you plan to use and does that player have a case around it. If for example you are using an iPhone or iPod with a case you need either a Viablue or Oyaide plug as both are long enough to fully connect to the headphone out using the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back