The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Jun 3, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #1,291 of 2,052
From the NYT Wirecutter... Somehow I missed this.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-400-over-ear-headphones/

1591212477055.png

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 3, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #1,292 of 2,052
Just wanted to mention that after listening to the A2C for a couple months with the black felt inserts, at first it kind of felt weird when my ears touched the pads but after a couple of months I have to say that I probably got used to the feeling or the pads settled better. No issues right now, super comfortable and enjoying the sound. So for those who find the inserts uncomfortable or weird just give some time to see if you get used to them.

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #1,293 of 2,052
I've had the AFO2 for about 3 months now and i really like it. I've upgraded my Dragonfly black to a Topping E30 as Dac as well (to Shiit Magni3), and it seems better. Probably because the dragonfly only puts out 1,2v.

The issue i've had though is microphonics in the cable. I've made my own cable afterwards, but it didn't solve the microphonics, anyone have an idea on how to solve this? any vibrations probably go through the Hirose connector so i'm thinking of something to anchor the cable in a way that doesn't attach to the cups permanently.
( My DIY cable )

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #1,294 of 2,052
I've had the AFO2 for about 3 months now and i really like it. I've upgraded my Dragonfly black to a Topping E30 as Dac as well (to Shiit Magni3), and it seems better. Probably because the dragonfly only puts out 1,2v.

The issue i've had though is microphonics in the cable. I've made my own cable afterwards, but it didn't solve the microphonics, anyone have an idea on how to solve this? any vibrations probably go through the Hirose connector so i'm thinking of something to anchor the cable in a way that doesn't attach to the cups permanently.
( My DIY cable )
I have no issues with the Vivo cable, but it's a little expensive. You might be able to find a third party cable that solves the issue. From the picture of the cable you built, I think you might have chosen a very stiff wire or the paracord is too tight. I made a cable using mogami 2534 and I had no issues.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #1,295 of 2,052
I spent a good bit of time with the Aeon 2c at launch and enjoyed them very much. At the time, I didn't have a great need for a closed headphone and always felt that if I had a choice between open and closed, it just made more sense to opt for the open headphone.

Well, times they are a changin'. Many of us are working from home and the home environment (at least at my house) grows ever so noisier. So with that said, it seemed a no-brainer to bring the Aeon 2c back into the fold.

So I just received the A2c this afternoon. I'm fairly familiar with this headphone having heard it all through the beta period through to production. But, upon cuing up the music and putting on a few of my favorite tunes, something was different. Uhm...something was better. I continued to run through my favorite tracks and continued to be impressed.

At this point I'd felt compelled to hit Dan up and just ask if there were any changes to the original production headphones or if I was just getting old and senile. Well, turns out that I'm not (quite) as old and senile as I thought. Dan responded to say that they have improved tolerances and production techniques and that they have been able to get closer to the curve than ever before. And I would certainly second that sentiment.

Burning these in as I speak and will report back later with more details.

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #1,297 of 2,052
Has anyone heard both the AFO2 and the Ether Flow Open 1.1 that can compare the two? Saw some small comparisons earlier in the thread but curious to see more.

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #1,298 of 2,052
Hi all,
I just auditioned the Aeon 2 Open and really enjoyed them. I liked the openness in the soundstage, separation and detail with a solid helping of bass. I just wanted to ask the community a few questions to see if this set might be the right fit for what I have now and intended use.

1.What is the sound leak like? I might be using this in a cubicle situation and don’t want to annoy others. But I do want to be able to hear them so I don’t have to keep taking off my cans.
2. What’s the portability like? Do you take it on the go? Or is it just a little too bulky? Can you wear them on the go?
3. How is they with portable DAPs? I’d be using a Hiby R6 Pro (probably 4.4mm balanced)
4. Anyone try it with a Hugo 2? impressions
5. Does the Aeon 2 signature compliment these genres: Electronic, Hip hop, Pop, Rock, Jazz & Symphonic music
6. Based on the criteria above, is there a reason to look at something else?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #1,299 of 2,052
Hi all,
I just auditioned the Aeon 2 Open and really enjoyed them. I liked the openness in the soundstage, separation and detail with a solid helping of bass. I just wanted to ask the community a few questions to see if this set might be the right fit for what I have now and intended use.

1.What is the sound leak like? I might be using this in a cubicle situation and don’t want to annoy others. But I do want to be able to hear them so I don’t have to keep taking off my cans.
2. What’s the portability like? Do you take it on the go? Or is it just a little too bulky? Can you wear them on the go?
3. How is they with portable DAPs? I’d be using a Hiby R6 Pro (probably 4.4mm balanced)
5. Does the Aeon 2 signature compliment these genres: Electronic, Hip hop, Pop, Rock, Jazz & Symphonic music

I don’t have all the answers but I do have some.

sound leak would be minimal with the closed which from what I understand sound very similar to the open. I have the open X and the 2 closed sound way better imo but they’re different animals.

portability is amazing, idk about wearing them around as that depends on your style sense. I don’t believe there’s anything else out there that could be considered portable that sound this good.

I use them with electronic, hip hop, and jazz to great effect. I think the other genres will fare well too.

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #1,300 of 2,052
Hi all,

Hey, I have the A2 Closed and the A1 Open, but here's my answer to your questions:
  1. Don't know if it's different for the A2O but the A1O leak quite a bit, at least at the volume I listen to, and I wouldn't use it in a cubicle situation. I only used them at home and my GF would complain they're too loud sometimes. We live in a small apartment however.
  2. Portability of A2C is pretty great, I took them to school and while traveling. The volume is kinda like a small ball that you're carrying around in your bag. Never listened to them while on the go, only stationary at the library, airport, hotel etc.
  3. I used the A2C with my Hiby R5 via 4.4mm balanced and it was great. Currently only using with my SMSL SP200 THX amp since we're stuck at home, but using the A2C sounded great with the Hiby R5 when outside.
  4. Don't have the Hugo 2, but the A2C is awesome with my Mojo. My preference is SP200 > Mojo > Hiby R5.
  5. I listen to everything but 90% of the time I would be listening to hip hop, and it's great with the A2C. From soulful productions to boastful trap beats. Electronic music-wise, love listening to HEALTH, and to the TRON soundtrack.
  6. I've auditioned some pricey stuff at CanJam NY 2020 like the ZMF Vérité, Meze Empyrean, Abyss Phi, Focal Stellia, and none of them really made me excited. Especially not for the price they retail at compared to the A2C. I just prefer the sound signature of the A2C, and their incredible comfort.
Hope this helps!

Jun 6, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #1,301 of 2,052
A big thank you to both hilmGrant and 1000ROUNDZ. I think the A2C might be the way to go! The shop I was at didn’t have the Closed, but by many of the comments there are many similarities between the two. I think that might have saved me quite a bit of $$.

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #1,302 of 2,052
I've been very impressed with the resolution of the A2O. Greatly improved from the original and at the same level of the Ether 2, from my memory. I make a lot of adjustments to my upstream setup and I've been able to hear the changes come through in things like different DACs, USB vs S/PDIF, power connections to UPS vs wall...the changes in sounds are coming through very audibly showing the capability of the resolution and insight the headphones offer. I've been able to hear a nice difference from changing from the stock to a Cardas cable as well. I really liked the VIVO when I had it with my Ether 2, but $300 was a bit much for it, I felt.

Jun 7, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,303 of 2,052
Anyone have tips for a good seal?

When I first received my A2C, it didnt sound good. It sounded compressed and distant, and I thought that flarex guy had merit. I'm coming from an Oppo PM3 which was pretty good to my ears. Then, I tried many different positions of the headphone, I got a better seal and the sound was markedly better. However, no matter what I do the A2c always sounds much better when I slightly press on my earcups, which suggests that the seal is a problem (or I just like the drivers closer to my ear). When the earcups are pressed to my ear, it all sounds so much more corherent and better imaged. It may have worse soundstage but I'm less stressed about that.

I do wear glasses, but they have thin rims and I can't be putting the arms above the headphones on a regular basis. I have very short (thinning) hair.

So, any tips on getting the optimal seal on this headphone? I'm willing to invest in new earpads if it gives me a good clamping force and seal.

I'm currently using a DX7 Pro, but I'm getting a Toping A90 soon.

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #1,304 of 2,052
Forget about the Aeons if you have short or no hair. The fit adjusting mechanism is broken for all kind of reasons. Pads will stick, and never settle. And the Aeons can sound compressed for a multitude of reasons. Seems consistency with overall build is an issue. No other explanation for all of the conflicting experiences. Prob should RMA.

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #1,305 of 2,052
Forget about the Aeons if you have short or no hair. The fit adjusting mechanism is broken for all kind of reasons. Pads will stick, and never settle. And the Aeons can sound compressed for a multitude of reasons. Seems consistency with overall build is an issue. No other explanation for all of the conflicting experiences. Prob should RMA.

I would say basically just the opposite is true. I have short to very short hair around the ear and have never had a single issue with seal with any of the Aeon series (I do not wear glasses though).

The fit mechanism works exceptionally well in my experience. The only thing that will cause trouble is if the set screw needs tightening. I like to keep mine very tight because I almost never adjust this.

I've owned just about every headphone out there at one point or another and I would easily put these products at the top of the list when it comes to build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back