The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Jun 7, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #1,306 of 2,052
The pads wild design are a hit or miss depending on the individual. The substantial change in sound that arises from different placements clearly shows it's under engineered. Clamping force changes wildly depending on how much the sliders are extended etc etc... also "someone" mentioned "changes" in production units, could easily be inconsistencies from sample to sample. Could be all kind of issues. Drivers going out of spec over time etc etc.. one can only guess... but one thing is sure, since the very beginning, from the original, it's been a very conflicting headphone. That means something. 100%

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #1,307 of 2,052
The pads wild design are a hit or miss depending on the individual. The substantial change in sound that arises from different placements clearly shows it's under engineered. Clamping force changes wildly depending on how much the sliders are extended etc etc... also "someone" mentioned "changes" in production units, could easily be inconsistencies from sample to sample. Could be all kind of issues. Drivers going out of spec over time etc etc.. one can only guess... but one thing is sure, since the very beginning, from the original, it's been a very conflicting headphone. That means something. 100%

Strongly dissagree,
tho anecdotal (like your example), I at least have a much larger sample size (friends/family/colleagues) when i claim that these fit good on almost everybody,
minus a few oddballs.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #1,308 of 2,052
Then it must be the drivers, or some people just can't process their sound presentation, which is find by me. Still I found the pads too sticky when my hair was cut to 5mm long.

btw: I love my o.g. Aeons, especially since my hair grew back :wink:, they have some sound signature quirks, I exposed in their respective threads. But, overall a very special sound signature, love it or hate it, but still can't explain how some perceive them as sounding so bad. And how no review have any hint of these issues... guess reviewers don't test 'em 8h hours a day like some of us here :p

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #1,309 of 2,052

Can't tell if this is in jest or just trolling.

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #1,311 of 2,052
It's a fact. Read the threads. Or maybe just the positive impressions count? All the rest is trolling?
I have no hair, these work fine. Maybe I lucked out and have a great copy. These aren’t a mass manufactured headphone so some variance like you say is totally possible. However there are many other explanations for the differences in perception you reference.

Having owned both the ether CX and aeon open X, the a2c are the least compressed and best sounding to my ears. I say least compressed but I don’t actually hear compression in their signature.

this is actually one of the first times I’ve heard negative impressions on the a2c. I watched and read almost every review I could find before buying them. Though I tend to discount individual reviews on forums because the breadth of comparison would likely not be greater than my own, while someone who does this for a living has heard a lot more than me lol.

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #1,312 of 2,052
Then it must be the drivers, or some people just can't process their sound presentation, which is find by me. Still I found the pads too sticky when my hair was 5mm cut.

btw: I love my o.g. Aeons, especially since my hair grew back :wink:, they have some sound signature quirks, I exposed in their respective threads. But, overall a very special sound signature, love it or hate it, but still can't explain how some perceive them as sounding so bad. And how no review have any hit of these issues... guess reviewers don't test 'em 8h hours a day like some of us here :p

I don’t get the hair comments, either. Been using the A2C for 6 months, with fuller hair and the Covid lockdown buzz. No change. To the OP, I would say, try without glasses and it the sound is what you like, it just may be the pads aren’t good for wearing with your glasses also.

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #1,313 of 2,052
Yeah, I had problems while my hair was shorter. The pads would just kind of be really hard to get a proper uniform clamping force. Then I figured it's the combination of lack of vertical axis swivel, and the protein leather gripping to my short hair. Longer hair and softer pads kind of fixed that tho.

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #1,314 of 2,052
The fit mechanism works exceptionally well in my experience. The only thing that will cause trouble is if the set screw needs tightening. I like to keep mine very tight because I almost never adjust this.
Mine broke. I had to tighten the screw from time to time and eventually the plastic thread was broken and the plastic clip no longer holds, sliding freely. I haven't used my AFO in months as a result :frowning2: DCA has sent me a replacement clip but it's a month in transit and still not here :frowning2: I really miss listening to them.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #1,315 of 2,052
Mine broke. I had to tighten the screw from time to time and eventually the plastic thread was broken and the plastic clip no longer holds, sliding freely. I haven't used my AFO in months as a result :frowning2: DCA has sent me a replacement clip but it's a month in transit and still not here :frowning2: I really miss listening to them.

Drop us a note and we will send another set... sorry, USPS has had some missed deliveries with COVID we can always send a backup.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 7, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #1,316 of 2,052
Drop us a note and we will send another set... sorry, USPS has had some missed deliveries with COVID we can always send a backup.
I don't blame you, guys. Your customer service is stellar. I will wait a few more weeks and see if it arrives. If not, I will contact you again.

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #1,317 of 2,052
@hiImGrant All dedicated review sites feature promotional reviewers, that are there to promote products, as opposed to critical reviewing. I didn't find any review (outside of community reviews) of the original Aeons that even hinted at any of the many sound, fit and tech quirks they exhibit. Only Tyll mentioned some of those, and even he downplayed the extent of some of the issues, judging by a lot of other more critical impressions found here and elsewhere.

I didn't hear the new generation, Aeon 2, yet, but I can see there are, again, some clear, common and consistent reports of issues with these too, across multiple communities. Yet again, non of the promotional reviewers seem to notice those.

I had my fair share of headphones, amps, dacs etc... and I know that first impressions are to be dosed with a lot of salt. And that's what most (read all) of the reviews on dedicated review sites are, first impressions, but somehow those are the one that should be trusted... makes sense.

Jun 7, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #1,320 of 2,052
@merlinzeta forgot to mention that on my o.g. Aeons I found the included filters (of which one come preinstalled, white one notch, I guess?) to actually make the overall sound more confusing. Less focus, instruments lost their own well defined position and space, and a feeling of harmonics bleeding into each other. They did take down the highs in the sibilance region, but at cost of making them sound like what you are describing as "compressed" and "distant".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back