The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Jun 7, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #1,323 of 2,052
And another thing about the fit. I used to extend the sliders to position my ears higher into the pads and also to alleviate the clamping force. But the leather strap hits the nitinol wires pretty early, at a little over half extension. That makes so that the nitinol wires will create really bad hot spots as they press against the leather strap. Painfully bad hot spots.

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #1,325 of 2,052
Every forum always has contentious opinions usually coming from people who never even laid hands on the product or heard/tried it in person.

My last forum talkbass has dozens of guys sell hundreds of instruments due to the most minute of details that don’t matter in the bigger picture IME when you’re actually using the instrument/tool.

That said my A2O are the comfiest headphones I’ve tried and has dethroned my 660s and Sundaras.

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #1,326 of 2,052
I find it easier to adjust the A2O leather strap while on my head. I place them over my ears with the strap loose, and put my index fingers on top of each slider on the nitinol band. My other fingertips gently grip the ear cups on their respective sides. I gently press down on the sliders with my index fingers, trying to apply equal pressure on the R and L sides, until the ear cups feel snug.

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #1,327 of 2,052
I would say basically just the opposite is true. I have short to very short hair around the ear and have never had a single issue with seal with any of the Aeon series (I do not wear glasses though).

The fit mechanism works exceptionally well in my experience. The only thing that will cause trouble is if the set screw needs tightening. I like to keep mine very tight because I almost never adjust this.

I've owned just about every headphone out there at one point or another and I would easily put these products at the top of the list when it comes to build quality.
I echo this sentiment.
I have no troubles with seal whatsoever and would rate this as high as my ZMF when it comes to comfort and seal.
The adjustment system works just fine for me.
The clamping force isn’t Sennheiser hd600 clamping force but it’s enough for me.
However I don’t wear glasses so no idea how that may affect the seal.

as for the comment about soundstage, that does make sense? The aeons do tend to put you a few rows more towards the middle than the front row.
I personally really enjoy that for piano or classical pieces. Being in front row isn’t preferred in that type of music imo.
It could be that you prefer a more energetic and closed sound?

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #1,328 of 2,052
On,y problem I have is I have to adjust the strap after unfolding it, because folding it pushes it out of position. I don’t mind it much tho

Jun 8, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #1,329 of 2,052
Well, from the fr graphs the AFC2 seems it could pass the nasty trumpet challenge easily. While the AFO2 fr graph looks a little suspect. :p

The instrument playing at the timestamp of the song you linked is a trombone, not a trumpet.
- amateur trombone hobbyist :)

Jun 8, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #1,331 of 2,052
I find it easier to adjust the A2O leather strap while on my head. I place them over my ears with the strap loose, and put my index fingers on top of each slider on the nitinol band. My other fingertips gently grip the ear cups on their respective sides. I gently press down on the sliders with my index fingers, trying to apply equal pressure on the R and L sides, until the ear cups feel snug.

Just to clarify. I do that too. Holding onto the end of the hinges with my middle and thumb fingers, while pulling the sliders down with my index. But since the headband is not tall enough, that doesn't solve my initial issue of positioning my ear higher in the pad and lowering the clamp force. Idk, if the Aeon 2 headband is taller since it can be folded to shrink. If the nitinol wires were not bent that flat but of rounder, more arched, shape on top, perhaps it would be better.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #1,332 of 2,052
I, also, have never owned, heard, or touched an Aeon 2 Closed. But here are my complaints and criticisms and comparisons about them:
Nope, jk. I have just ordered a new pair and they should arrive in a week or so. I may post my impressions about sound, fit, etc., after experiencing them, not before.

Jun 10, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #1,333 of 2,052
Good for you. Just make sure you compare them to the Elear and HD600, and not just to the X2 and Owl. Possibly in a meaningful way. :wink: Also if you could avoid to include quotes, like those found under your profile, with your impressions, that would be a plus.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #1,334 of 2,052
I, also, have never owned, heard, or touched an Aeon 2 Closed. But here are my complaints and criticisms and comparisons about them:
Nope, jk. I have just ordered a new pair and they should arrive in a week or so. I may post my impressions about sound, fit, etc., after experiencing them, not before.
Having never heard the closed version either, I can honestly say that you have nailed this one on the head beautifully! Incidentally, I also now know why my own pair are being held up. :wink:

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #1,335 of 2,052
A quick note to say thank you to Dan at DCA and Mark at Electromod and Peter Igloo in the UK.

My Aeon 2 C's developed an intermittent issue on one side. It was marginal loss of quality on the right but only intermittently. The headphones are 7 months old and I use them every day.

Sent them back to Igloo who teste and heard the issue once. They sent them on to Electro mod who couldn't hear the issue, but they decided to replace them anyway.

Intermittent issues are a Bitch, but with such excellent service who cares. A little trust goes a long way.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back