The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Jan 31, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #901 of 2,052
I've been to a local audio store here in Toronto and I brought the A2C to compare with a few closed backs they had on display. They were the Focal Elegia, Focal Stellia, Sony MDR-Z7M2, and Sony Z1R. The listening was done via Tidal, on an iPhone connected to the Audioquest Cobalt (which is not ideal to me, but just suggests that everything I say here can be improved with a proper amp). The seller was enjoying the A2 while I went through his inventory.

After a user here in the forum mentioned that the Elegia was way better, I had high hopes for it. Turns out it felt bright, even harsh at times, with a lack of bass. Good soundstage and instrument separation, but sounded somewhat digital.

The seller, like me, liked the A2 more with the white thick felt. He described it as if he was listening to vinyl, which I suppose is a great praise. If I could change the original tuning, I'd bring up mids a bit. There's no harshness anywhere to be heard.

The Stellia was...well...stellar. Hard to put into words how I liked it. Wiped the floor with everything else. If I had my THX 789 amp with me I guess I could still get a good 20% more out of it. The sound is great throughout the whole sound spectrum. Detailed, but not bright. Very comfortable, and looks so good in person. It's incredible, but so is the price. Incredibly high.

The Sony MDR-Z7M2 sound was very creamy, with pretty much no soundstage. No harshness to be seen a mile away. Very, very smooth.

The Sony Z1R felt like the Z7M2 with a proper soundstage and recessed mids. I don't know why the heck they cost so much.

If I could put all of them in the order I prefer, that would be: Stellia >>> A2C > Z1R > MDR-Z7M2 > Elegia. I wonder hey they'd fair against ZMFs. So far the A2C are winners.

Feb 1, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #902 of 2,052
Guys, I have a question to you.

I own a good pair of dynamic HP (HD800S) and I wish to add a good pair of planar-magnetic HP.
Don’t know yet if it should be open or closed. With a closed version I have more flexibility but don’t want to sacrifice SQ.

I owned Aeon C Flow in the past and I liked it a lot, better than Ether C Flow.

So now considering the price of new Aeon 2 with shipping over $1000.

By the way, Dan.
You should review you shipping options to Russia. Fedex will not work. It should be USPS only.

I have some options to consider :

Aeon 2 vs used Ether 2 ($1100-1300)
Aeon 2 Open vs Aeon 2 Closed
Aeon 2 vs used Aeon C Flow (~$400)

So, what do you guys think about it? Thoughts?
Do Aeon 2 worth 2,5 times higher price vs used ACF

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #903 of 2,052
I've been to a local audio store here in Toronto and I brought the A2C to compare with a few closed backs they had on display. They were the Focal Elegia, Focal Stellia, Sony MDR-Z7M2, and Sony Z1R. The listening was done via Tidal, on an iPhone connected to the Audioquest Cobalt (which is not ideal to me, but just suggests that everything I say here can be improved with a proper amp). The seller was enjoying the A2 while I went through his inventory.

After a user here in the forum mentioned that the Elegia was way better, I had high hopes for it. Turns out it felt bright, even harsh at times, with a lack of bass. Good soundstage and instrument separation, but sounded somewhat digital.

The seller, like me, liked the A2 more with the white thick felt. He described it as if he was listening to vinyl, which I suppose is a great praise. If I could change the original tuning, I'd bring up mids a bit. There's no harshness anywhere to be heard.

The Stellia was...well...stellar. Hard to put into words how I liked it. Wiped the floor with everything else. If I had my THX 789 amp with me I guess I could still get a good 20% more out of it. The sound is great throughout the whole sound spectrum. Detailed, but not bright. Very comfortable, and looks so good in person. It's incredible, but so is the price. Incredibly high.

The Sony MDR-Z7M2 sound was very creamy, with pretty much no soundstage. No harshness to be seen a mile away. Very, very smooth.

The Sony Z1R felt like the Z7M2 with a proper soundstage and recessed mids. I don't know why the heck they cost so much.

If I could put all of them in the order I prefer, that would be: Stellia >>> A2C > Z1R > MDR-Z7M2 > Elegia. I wonder hey they'd fair against ZMFs. So far the A2C are winners.

Simply excellent!! That's why it's important to be able to try the headphones yourself as what you hear may be very different to the next person irrespective of what the FR chart says. Some folks simply may not hear the peaks or dips in the FR chart. I used to own the Utopia and I have heard the Elear and Clear, but not the newer Elegia and Stellia. I also used to own the MDR-Z1R. So I get an idea of where you're coming from.

Glad you're able to compare and share your findings here.

Feb 1, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #904 of 2,052
Are there any good reviews (even on head-fi) of aeon 2 open?

Is there or will be there an upgrade program (send us old Aeon and get discount to buy new Aeon 2?)

Is it possible to adapt 4.4 ballanced to 3.5 single ended without too much loss in audio quality (comparable to changing vivo SE dummer cable to SE vivo cable for example)?

Feb 1, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #905 of 2,052
Guys, I have a question to you.

I own a good pair of dynamic HP (HD800S) and I wish to add a good pair of planar-magnetic HP.
Don’t know yet if it should be open or closed. With a closed version I have more flexibility but don’t want to sacrifice SQ.

I owned Aeon C Flow in the past and I liked it a lot, better than Ether C Flow.

So now considering the price of new Aeon 2 with shipping over $1000.

By the way, Dan.
You should review you shipping options to Russia. Fedex will not work. It should be USPS only.

I have some options to consider :

Aeon 2 vs used Ether 2 ($1100-1300)
Aeon 2 Open vs Aeon 2 Closed
Aeon 2 vs used Aeon C Flow (~$400)

So, what do you guys think about it? Thoughts?
Do Aeon 2 worth 2,5 times higher price vs used ACF

If you think you will ever require a closed back (travel, or just a noisy environment), then A2C is the way to go. A2O has a lot of competition at various price points, but for a closed back, A2O is really special, in my opinion.

Feb 1, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #906 of 2,052
@mrspeakers

I have been nothing but impressed with my AEON 2 Closed with my VIVO cable. The bass in punchy, the mids and vocals are crystal clear and The highs sounds just about right. My question is, I noticed DAN Clark Audio website is selling perforated pads for AEON 1 and 2s ; however, the description states its only for open version. What kind of sound would i expect from the perforated pads with my aeon 2 closed. Can the perforated pads be used with the closed version? Would you recommend it?

Thank you for your time

Feb 1, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #907 of 2,052
If you think you will ever require a closed back (travel, or just a noisy environment), then A2C is the way to go. A2O has a lot of competition at various price points, but for a closed back, A2O is really special, in my opinion.

As far as I understand these are different tonality wise from the original Aeon C flow, right?
What are the main advantages over the first Aeon?

"But what complimenting the detailed low frequency is just a slightly emphasized bass response. Offering just a bit of slam, this bass response makes these headphones an excellent option for hip hop, rock, electronica, and some pop." - not sure if I need more bass than it was in the first version.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #908 of 2,052
As far as I understand these are different tonality wise from the original Aeon C flow, right?
What are the main advantages over the first Aeon?

"But what complimenting the detailed low frequency is just a slightly emphasized bass response. Offering just a bit of slam, this bass response makes these headphones an excellent option for hip hop, rock, electronica, and some pop." - not sure if I need more bass than it was in the first version.

I only heard the original Aeon closed at a meet, and I liked it, but it was a bit rough up top as I recall. This one has no such issues to me, and I’m using it without any tuning pads. 53 year old ears, but no other hearing loss than is typical, LOL.

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #909 of 2,052
Last couple of days i left my A2O playing music for about 30 to 40 more hours. They have been getting better and better. The imaging is not that flat anymore and expanded more 3d. The coherence between the bass and mids improved, so the upper bass doesn't feel that dominant anymore. In one of my previous posts about my first impressions, I mentioned I was sensitive to treble and preferred the one notch filters. The highs smoothened and I feel comfortable using the foam filters now.

Feb 2, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #910 of 2,052
So, after reading all this thread and tons of reviews I think for the closed HP I would stick to the first version of the Aeon since it fully meets my requirements for tonality and bass quantity / quality as I can recall it now.
For the open I still have two options: A2O or used Ether 2.

Feb 2, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #911 of 2,052
@mrspeakers

I have been nothing but impressed with my AEON 2 Closed with my VIVO cable. The bass in punchy, the mids and vocals are crystal clear and The highs sounds just about right. My question is, I noticed DAN Clark Audio website is selling perforated pads for AEON 1 and 2s ; however, the description states its only for open version. What kind of sound would i expect from the perforated pads with my aeon 2 closed. Can the perforated pads be used with the closed version? Would you recommend it?

Thank you for your time

+1. I would like to know this also.

Feb 2, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #912 of 2,052
@mrspeakers

Thank you for your time

been a while since I tried I will check it out in the office tomorrow.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 2, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #913 of 2,052
I personally would have bought and tried out the perforated pads myself had it not for the adhesive. I feel like if i dont like the perforated ones, it will be too late since the stock adhesive of the stock pads will be ruined. So if you can help me with some suggestions about the sound, i would gladly purchase the perforated pads.

Feb 3, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #914 of 2,052
I personally would have bought and tried out the perforated pads myself had it not for the adhesive. I feel like if i dont like the perforated ones, it will be too late since the stock adhesive of the stock pads will be ruined. So if you can help me with some suggestions about the sound, i would gladly purchase the perforated pads.

FWIW the adhesive on the pads generally will last at least 4-5 attach and release cycles, when removed just cover the adhesive with "wax paper" to keep it clean, dust and dirt will reduce the tack. When removing the pad the first time they do adhere strongly, so we generally peal the pad back starting right over the jack. Be gentle and don't yank on the pad, that will rip the pad off the base.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 3, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #915 of 2,052
FWIW the adhesive on the pads generally will last at least 4-5 attach and release cycles, when removed just cover the adhesive with "wax paper" to keep it clean, dust and dirt will reduce the tack. When removing the pad the first time they do adhere strongly, so we generally peal the pad back starting right over the jack. Be gentle and don't yank on the pad, that will rip the pad off the base.
Was a clip in, or magnatized, type system too expensive to implement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back