The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Nov 2, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #76 of 2,052
I am really excited about this announcement of the Aeon 2.

I currently use Oppo PM-3, which I really love for their neutral tonal balance, that suits all kinds of music. Unfortunately, the pads start to deteriorate after few years of intensive use. I have looked at the Aeon Flow closed to replace my PM-3s. But the bulk of the package kept me from buying them. Well, that excuse is gone now. So I will seriously look into the new Aeon 2 closed.

Question for Dan (or anyone else who could answer this based on experience): have you tried them with the Audioquest DragonFly Red (or the new Cobalt)? How is the output for classical music? The reason I ask, is that the PM-3 has a sensitivity of about 103 db/W I believe, higher than the Aeon 2. And I have to put the volume of my iPhone to almost max when I use DragonFly Red + PM-3. So I am a bit afraid if the DragonFly will be enough with the Aeon 2 closed and classical music.
Furthermore, looking at the cable and connection choices (XLR), I assume that the phones are balanced design. A confirmation of this would be nice.

I plan to use them for travel in the following configuration: iPhone 11 - DragonFly Red - Norse Audio silver cable (single ended) - Aeon 2 closed.

I plan to used them at home in the following configuration: iPhone 11 - Schiit Jotunheim MB - Moon Audio Silver cable (balanced) - Aeon 2 closed.

Note: this is all planned, no decision made yet. But it's tempting. Hopefully Dan Audio ships to Saudi Arabia (a literal and audiophile desert).

Edit: obviously, the PM-3 has a completely different connector. But I plan to buy from both cable manufacturers extensions with Aeon 2 connectors, rather than buying new cables.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #77 of 2,052
Dan, you are one of the most genuine guys in this hobby and thanks for all your work.

With Jason and Mike from Schiit Audio I have to say.

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #78 of 2,052
I am really excited about this announcement of the Aeon 2.

I currently use Oppo PM-3, which I really love for their neutral tonal balance, that suits all kinds of music. Unfortunately, the pads start to deteriorate after few years of intensive use. I have looked at the Aeon Flow closed to replace my PM-3s. But the bulk of the package kept me from buying them. Well, that excuse is gone now. So I will seriously look into the new Aeon 2 closed.

Question for Dan (or anyone else who could answer this based on experience): have you tried them with the Audioquest DragonFly Red (or the new Cobalt)? How is the output for classical music? The reason I ask, is that the PM-3 has a sensitivity of about 103 db/W I believe, higher than the Aeon 2. And I have to put the volume of my iPhone to almost max when I use DragonFly Red + PM-3. So I am a bit afraid if the DragonFly will be enough with the Aeon 2 closed and classical music.
Furthermore, looking at the cable and connection choices (XLR), I assume that the phones are balanced design. A confirmation of this would be nice.

I plan to use them for travel in the following configuration: iPhone 11 - DragonFly Red - Norse Audio silver cable (single ended) - Aeon 2 closed.

I plan to used them at home in the following configuration: iPhone 11 - Schiit Jotunheim MB - Moon Audio Silver cable (balanced) - Aeon 2 closed.

Note: this is all planned, no decision made yet. But it's tempting. Hopefully Dan Audio ships to Saudi Arabia (a literal and audiophile desert).

Edit: obviously, the PM-3 has a completely different connector. But I plan to buy from both cable manufacturers extensions with Aeon 2 connectors, rather than buying new cables.

The original AFC needs adequate power to sound their best. The PM3 is way more efficient. The dragon fly red, will be inadequate. The AFC sounded bad when underpowered. As an alternative, look at E1DA 9038S, using an otg cable with external power, it can power and drive my AFC making it sound right. On iPhone however, it requires a CCK adapter.

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #79 of 2,052
Just purchased mine. After a Bifrost 2 on Monday. I thought about both soooo long and hard. :smile_phones:

Sweet!!

True Multibit means Soundstage. Apparently Aeon 2 also means Soundstage. So you will be a very happy listener :)

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #80 of 2,052
Does the 2 meter 1/4" VIVO cable fit inside the smaller case with the Aeon 2?

Yes.

@mrspeakers Hey Dan, can you comment on the differences between the AF1O vs AF2O? I love the AF1O with my Lyr 3 SO FREAKING MUCH and if the AF2O is an improvement I am seriously thinking of upgrading, but I would feel so bad to leave my friend AF1O behind, specially if AF2O is too much different. Also will there be trade-ins for the first generation headphones? I might consider upgrading if I could cut something. I got my AF1O on June this year so they are pretty much still very new and the feeling of not waiting a little bit more for these is a bummer.

Bigger soundstage, more midrange presence, more detail, more dynamic.

I'm curious to know what it is about the VIVO cable that does this --> "We're also now offering an upgrade option to select our super-premium VIVO cables, which offer a larger soundstage, smoother tone, improved ergonomics". How much of a larger soundstage and smoother tone are we talking about? What does this cable look like and how does it improve ergonomics?

It's a fully custom designed cable, made in the US with a low capacitance design derived from our electrostatic headphone project. The cable is very flexible and non-microphone, and the conductors are silver plated, which we felt offerred an optimal tonal balance, deliverng silver resolution without the thin midrange silver can deliver.

Have you finally decided to sell your headphones in the UK yet?
If so will you sell via Amazon.co.uk?

not sure why you have not sold in uk before. Have been available via a few unknown dealers at 50% higher price than usa.
Not acceptable

We have been selling in the UK for 6 years. Mark at Electromod is our distributor and he will be bringing A2's soon. He's a great guy and a great partner, and also disributes Schiit. He's been at London CanJam showing every year...

Not available in uk and probably will not be

Not true. Actually always has been and always will be. :)

Our old site had a store locator with all the UK railer and distributor information, that will be up on the new site within a week.

We ship worldwide, we encourage people to support local distributors as their price = ours plus taxes and you get local support. However as yet we have no Mideast distributors so we ar happy to ship direct.

The Red is adequate for lo to medium listening w A2. If you are a jazz and classical listener hat may be fine, but loud and bass heavy won't work with the Red.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 2, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #82 of 2,052
Think best not to buy product near its launch. Wise to wait for any (if any) issues to be corrected, as well more reviews from users.

I agree with you on that with most everything I buy. But I also have a patience problem in that I don't have any. :slight_smile: The deciding factor here (for me) is knowing that if some unforeseen manufacturing or design issue surfaces, Dan will make things right with those who have already purchased. Just sent my order in...

Nov 2, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #83 of 2,052
I can sell you my black AFC to finance the purchase of Aeon 2 :)

Im loving the new design of the Aeon 2 but unfortunately im not really a fan of the colour scheme. I also would love a graphite or black option which has already been mentioned. Maybe a limited edition at some point in the future Dan?

I for one would be more than happy to pay a deposit up front like I did for the pre-order with the original Aeon closed. Just saying hint, hint

Nov 2, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #84 of 2,052
Thanks for the support! This has been the best selling introduction we've ever had!

:dt880smile:

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 2, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #85 of 2,052
Thanks for the support! This has been the best selling introduction we've ever had!

:dt880smile:

Congratulations to your success. I'm pretty sure this will be a fantastic headphone. The Aeon2 is obviously a clear improvement over its predecessor. Also for an interesting price point.:)

I can sell you my black AFC to finance the purchase of Aeon 2 :)

You rascal. You are very clever.:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back