The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Jan 20, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #826 of 2,052
I have just deleted a whole bunch of posts. Some of them did have valid content however are replies to deleted posts. I would like to summarize a few points from what I do remember :-

1) flarex3 is entitled to have his own opinion on the headphones however I do not see the need to dwell and carry on about it. One should not be upset if others hear differently, nor should one “force” his/her opinions onto others
2) Various very valid points were raised about the (lack of) synergy between the DAP and the headphone. Note this does not mean that it’s a poor headphone, nor a poor DAP. It’s merely finding the right tool for the right purpose.

There probably were other valid posts whose points I have missed and folks are free to re-post/share if the information is general audience/readers of this thread however please do -NOT- dredge up conversations that lead to personal attacks.

Jan 21, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #828 of 2,052
@mrspeakers Dan, what is your favourite padding for the A2 closed? I've tried them all (and without it) for 10h+ each at least, and can't decide what's best for me, so I got curious about your preferences. I think I prefer the white padding though...

Been using with the THX AAA 789 and SMSL M100.

It depends on my setup and music. I generally go with no pads on the open if I'm on tube gear, I might use the thin foam on a bright recording. On solid state portable gear black felt plays well for me, or for brighter stuff like a lot of 70s recordings I switch to white. They get switched a lot because my taste varies. Also, at the end of the day I often get a little fatigue even if listening at low levels and then pop a white in.

The short answer is there is no right answer, experiment and have fun. Leave them in for a while to get used to them, going back and forth real fast will bias your ear, leaving them in and seeing how you feel after a few albums works best, or just spend a night with white, then blank, then black foam etc and see which felt like the most enjoyable overall experience to find your preferred "default" then tweak if and when needed.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 21, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #829 of 2,052
It depends on my setup and music. I generally go with no pads on the open if I'm on tube gear, I might use the thin foam on a bright recording. On solid state portable gear black felt plays well for me, or for brighter stuff like a lot of 70s recordings I switch to white. They get switched a lot because my taste varies. Also, at the end of the day I often get a little fatigue even if listening at low levels and then pop a white in.

The short answer is there is no right answer, experiment and have fun. Leave them in for a while to get used to them, going back and forth real fast will bias your ear, leaving them in and seeing how you feel after a few albums works best, or just spend a night with white, then blank, then black foam etc and see which felt like the most enjoyable overall experience to find your preferred "default" then tweak if and when needed.
What tube gear you have running these things?

Jan 21, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #830 of 2,052
What tube gear you have running these things?

Cavalli Liquid Crimson and Liquid Glass, both hybrid
Woo WA5 300B tubes
LTA Z10e OTL amp
LTA MicroZOTL 2
Cavalli CTH from Drop
Schiit MJ2 with Miniwatt 6922

Also really like the Modwright amps. Lower cost tube gear can be tricky and I don't have that many recommendations besides the Liquid Platinum.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 21, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #832 of 2,052
Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #833 of 2,052
I found A2C's soundstage is disapoointing as well . No depth- only 2D sound field. And the sound is either at the exact left, center, or right (9-12-3 o'clock) . Nothing at the space between the three points.
In terms of soundstage A2C is just like a cheap regular closed back. Other expensive closed backs (Focal, ZMF, Senn) have semi-open soundstage but A2C is very intimate.

[This post has been edited by Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 21, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #834 of 2,052
I found A2C's soundstage is disapoointing as well . No depth- only 2D sound field. And the sound is either at the exact left, center, or right (9-12-3 o'clock) . Nothing at the space between the three points.
In terms of soundstage A2C is just like a cheap regular closed back. Other expensive closed backs (Focal, ZMF, Senn) have semi-open soundstage but A2C is very intimate.

Not really LoL this is what others have said quoting MattTCG “. There was good air and a spacious stage. I was picking up on subtle depth cues and room decay which I typically don’t hear at except with better open back headphones. In fact, in terms of sound stage these may be the best that I’ve heard from a closed back headphone“
So I guess it is still subjective, but it’s ok if you hear different

Jan 21, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #835 of 2,052
Not really LoL this is what others have said “. There was good air and a spacious stage. I was picking up on subtle depth cues and room decay which I typically don’t hear at except with better open back headphones. In fact, in terms of sound stage these may be the best that I’ve heard from a closed back headphone“
So I guess it is still subjective

I haven't heard the Aeon 2 Closed yet, but the Open is quite spacious and I am impressed by them!

Jan 21, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #836 of 2,052

To me it's the contrary. I find soundstage to be quite large in the closed version.

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #837 of 2,052
[Post has been edited by Mod]
I have to agree with others that compared to many closed backs, these have a pretty decent sound stage. Still lacking to a good open back, but not at all compared to most closed backs.

Jan 22, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #838 of 2,052

Interesting to hear you feel fatigue after a lot of listening to these cans. I feel nothing. But I'm someone with a HD700 in the arsenal, and even though I can hear it only after a lot of EQ is applied, it is still reasonably brighter than the A2C imho.

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #840 of 2,052
Interesting to hear you feel fatigue after a lot of listening to these cans. I feel nothing. But I'm someone with a HD700 in the arsenal, and even though I can hear it only after a lot of EQ is applied, it is still reasonably brighter than the A2C imho.

It's not that... My ears just get tired at the end of the day from having music on most of it. I don't play loud but eventually the ears just say "enough," happens with any ear gear I've ever used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back