The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Jan 17, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #813 of 2,052
I heard the Aeon 2 Closed very briefly. I got a couple of quick first impressions. They did a very good job with busy orchestral life recordings where headphones usually struggle to separate instruments and voices. There was more space around them filling up a larger space than usual. My other impression was that they have quite high energy and speed bringing you close to the stage with the vocals up front. I felt that the energy in the treble would accentuate the nastiness in bad recordings, and that the bass is just the right amount always as expected to be.

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #814 of 2,052
I heard the Aeon 2 Closed very briefly. I got a couple of quick first impressions. They did a very good job with busy orchestral life recordings where headphones usually struggle to separate instruments and voices. There was more space around them filling up a larger space than usual. My other impression was that they have quite high energy and speed bringing you close to the stage with the vocals up front. I felt that the energy in the treble would accentuate the nastiness in bad recordings, and that the bass is just the right amount always as expected to be.

My POV is to tune so good recordings sound right with default tuning on solid state or hybrid gear. Generally this means exactly what you say, they are very fast and will deliver a nice presentation with good content but bright (or over compressed) recordings will be bright. I've found that if I pitch the tuning to make lesser recordings more palatable that the good recordings loose their pop, therefore I try to make the best sound their best and adapt to the worst with tuning kits. When I pull out my old 70s punk, out come the white pads. I use pads as compensation for lesser recordings, or when I want electronica to bump harder, but tend to use nothing when doing acoustic, singer-songwriter, etc.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 17, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #815 of 2,052
My POV is to tune so good recordings sound right with default tuning on solid state or hybrid gear. Generally this means exactly what you say, they are very fast and will deliver a nice presentation with good content but bright (or over compressed) recordings will be bright. I've found that if I pitch the tuning to make lesser recordings more palatable that the good recordings loose their pop, therefore I try to make the best sound their best and adapt to the worst with tuning kits. When I pull out my old 70s punk, out come the white pads. I use pads as compensation for lesser recordings, or when I want electronica to bump harder, but tend to use nothing when doing acoustic, singer-songwriter, etc.
I love seeing this level of insight. It seems more and more rare in this mass-produced world. I actually hadn't tried the tuning pads on the A2C yet because I hadn't found much that sounded "bad" (and when I did, it was clearly the recording), but now I think I will specifically try them with some of the higher-energy music I listen to and see what sort of difference it makes.

Jan 17, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #816 of 2,052
Hi all, I am wondering where the reviews or impressions are for the Aeon 2 open model. I’ve seen 2 online reviews, and a questionable video review. Any insight to share if you own them? I have the original Aeon Flow Close and now would like to add am open back to my stable. This new model seems like a good option. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #817 of 2,052
Did you look at the head-fi FR graph as well done on far more accurate equipment rather than hanging on to the only evidence you have? Again... I do not hear any significant dip. A -20dB dip would be very obvious.
Head-Fi graph is raw and is labeled as such. Max's EARS graph is HPN compensated. They can't be compared, and yes since EARS has the wrong acoustic impedance because of its nonexistent canal sim, etc. it's less trustworthy. I find raws hard to read without an overlaid target but sometimes Jude will overlay it to make it easier. A2C is definitely missing an expected upper mid peak on the raw measurement, but that's just a graph.

Max gets the thumbs up in my book. One of the very, very few trustworthy reviewers who are not paid to do reviews and refuse to use affiliate links.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #818 of 2,052
Hi all, I am wondering where the reviews or impressions are for the Aeon 2 open model. I’ve seen 2 online reviews, and a questionable video review. Any insight to share if you own them? I have the original Aeon Flow Close and now would like to add am open back to my stable. This new model seems like a good option. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

I'm reviewing them right now...I would say they lean more towards neutral than their closed counterparts, but still offer incredible bass, dynamics and sound staging. I love them so far...more to come.

Jan 18, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #819 of 2,052
I'm reviewing them right now...I would say they lean more towards neutral than their closed counterparts, but still offer incredible bass, dynamics and sound staging. I love them so far...more to come.

Thanks! I look forward to your review when it is available.

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #820 of 2,052
Please, Mr. Speakers distribution channels is terrible.

If I will buy the AFC 2, I will also be forced to import from a different country like him. I had to do the same with the AFC 1.

Jan 18, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #821 of 2,052
Happen to have a Z1R around to make comparisons too?

Jan 18, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #822 of 2,052
One of those things I’ve noticed... flarex3 has complained about them more than everyone else combined. One measurement of a headphone is insufficient evidence. Subjective but to my ears they sound nice. Not perfect... but nice. To flarex3 they don’t sound at all... they 20% VAT. No EQ. No different amp. No different cord. No other pair tried. Minimal effort. Maximum opinion.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #824 of 2,052
Please, Mr. Speakers distribution channels is terrible.

If I will buy the AFC 2, I will also be forced to import from a different country like him. I had to do the same with the AFC 1.

I am sure that if you live in a territory where no distribution exists, you can buy direct from Dan Clark Audio. I am also sure Dan Clark Audio would support their sale in a way that is a more pleasant experience. Dan Clark Audio is known for a very high customer service level. In fact, he built the company on that same exemplary customer service.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 20, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #825 of 2,052
I am sure that if you live in a territory where no distribution exists, you can buy direct from Dan Clark Audio. I am also sure Dan Clark Audio would support their sale in a way that is a more pleasant experience. Dan Clark Audio is known for a very high customer service level. In fact, he built the company on that same exemplary customer service.

Exactly. As they have no representation in Saudi Arabia, I could buy directly from them. And I am glad I did. Really good headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back