The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Jan 13, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #796 of 2,052
what is it that a shop could say without sounding like a shill? I will offer a “sold unit” comparison on cans between $700 USD & $1000 USD. Since the release of the A2O & A2C, those 2 models are about 10% of that price range of cans in our sales. We’ve had 1 return from a user that made a different selection. Zero defective units 1 faulty cable. These are actually statistics that say they are both popular choices and with very little issues. My opinion is I find both highly competitive in sound quality by comparison to that price range and when compared to their predecessors, definitely an improvement in most ways, particularly in the mid detail and bass presentation. Best I can offer you!
Haha. Cheers

My concern is this

- I bought AC1 for 1100 AUD when it came out. Mostly liked it, but found it bit boring.
- They sell for $700 AUD now. More in line where I think it should sit.
- AC2 is $1500 AUD
- Does it deserve to be at $1500, or will I feel like it should be $1000 or so

I don't know!

At $1500 here, it competes with new Z1R, Fostex TH900 MK2 demo, new Focal Clear, Ether 2 Demos, etc. Serious cans

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #797 of 2,052
Please talk about the headphone, not about users
Of course I know this hobby is subjective Fof example I dislike Focal Elear. Not my preferred sound sig. But I understand how can some like it and I don't call it broken or something.
But I think that Aeon 2C sounds completely wrong and inacceptable at this price point. $1100 with cable... Of course this is just my opinion. If you disagree and like this headphone you are free to share why you like it.

If you want to hear a direct comparision, at the exact same price Elegia sounds much better. Out of the exact same gear. And the difference is night and day.
It's your right to express your opinion and it's everyone's right to ask you why.
But you failed to explain why you are not happy with the headphones and keep on posting negative comments.
If you want to keep the headphones why don't you just EQ the dip between 1-4k?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #798 of 2,052
A problem is:, the sound starts to get worse and "clip" at higher volumes. I'm talking about just slightly louder than moderate levels. When increasing the volume, the sound should homogeneously get louder but I guess high treble gets louder than anything else and the sound quality breaks down.
This problem isn't present with Aeon 1. It starts to clip after a volume too but the threshold is very high (around 100 dB I guess). But for Aeon 2 the problems start around 80-85 dB.

Jan 14, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #801 of 2,052
[Edit by Mod: Off topic quote removed]
Here is a closed back comparision between Stellia, Elegia, HD820 and A2C
https://www.headphones.com/blogs/ne...io-aeon-2-vs-focal-elegia-vs-sennheiser-hd820

His thoughts are similar to mines. A2C is among the best in terms of isolation and portability. But for the sound, he ranks the A2C the very worst for Dynamics, Soundstage and Imaging. He ranks the A2C's tonality below Stellia and Elegia

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 14, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #802 of 2,052
Jan 14, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #803 of 2,052
[Edit by Mod: Off topic quote removed]

Here is a closed back comparision between Stellia, Elegia, HD820 and A2C
https://www.headphones.com/blogs/ne...io-aeon-2-vs-focal-elegia-vs-sennheiser-hd820

His thoughts are similar to mines. A2C is among the best in terms of isolation and portability. But for the sound, he ranks the A2C the very worst for Dynamics, Soundstage and Imaging. He ranks the A2C's tonality below Stellia and Elegia

Just note that in this review he is comparing a planar driver to 3 dynamic drivers. Personally, when I swap from the two driver types it takes a while to re-accustom myself (brain burn) to the sound reproduction.

Also read their review of the A2C on its own https://www.headphones.com/blogs/ne...eview-lightweight-portable-closed-back-planar where they clearly enjoy the headphone and recommends it. He finds it reminiscent of the Ether 2, and better than the LCD-2 Closed, and again better than the HD820, but falling behind the Elegia in a few areas, but besting in a few others.

Headphone comparisons are very tricky because they emphasize changes in the sound sig. of each headphone and make strong, finite decisions about which sounds best in each of the key areas (staging, timbre, etc.) but really should only be considered a subjective test of how they perform against each other and not the true merits of each individual heaphone.

Perhaps, call me crazy, you just do not like the way the A2C sounds (whether because you do not like the planar sound, or they have some QC issue) and you should just sell them or return them.

Please just sell them, someone will gladly purchase them from you! Or even better, send them to one of the more senior members here (easy to do) and get their honest assessment of the phones to determine if its your sonic preference or something off with the headphone creating all this noise.

Best-

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 14, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #804 of 2,052
Just note that in this review he is comparing a planar driver to 3 dynamic drivers. Personally, when I swap from the two driver types it takes a while to re-accustom myself (brain burn) to the sound reproduction.

Also read their review of the A2C on its own https://www.headphones.com/blogs/ne...eview-lightweight-portable-closed-back-planar where they clearly enjoy the headphone and recommends it. He finds it reminiscent of the Ether 2, and better than the LCD-2 Closed, and again better than the HD820, but falling behind the Elegia in a few areas, but besting in a few others.

Headphone comparisons are very tricky because they emphasize changes in the sound sig. of each headphone and make strong, finite decisions about which sounds best in each of the key areas (staging, timbre, etc.) but really should only be considered a subjective test of how they perform against each other and not the true merits of each individual heaphone.

Perhaps, call me crazy, you just do not like the way the A2C sounds (whether because you do not like the planar sound, or they have some QC issue) and you should just sell them or return them.

Please just sell them, someone will gladly purchase them from you! Or even better, send them to one of the more senior members here (easy to do) and get their honest assessment of the phones to determine if its your sonic preference or something off with the headphone creating all this noise.

Best-

I am already returning it.
Believe me if I simply disliked the sound I wouldn't be bothered this much. For example I disliked Focal Elear but that headphone sounds fine and just not my tastes. So I don't whine on the Elear thread.
But A2C seems to have significant issues. Sound quality of a headphone shouldn't change much with volume. All headphone break apart after a point but usually above 100 dB, out of regular listening volumes. But A2C breaks after 80-ish decibels , right at the moderate llistening levels. Isn't this a significant issue ? And this is not a sub $100 IEM, it is a $1100 headphone...

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #805 of 2,052
But A2C seems to have significant issues.

Closed backs are generally not ideal at loud volumes because the sound pressure has nowhere to go. My set most certainly does not distort, clip, or sound bad in any way at high volume... your issues are again your own. My phone dB meter pushes 80dB and still they just sound... loud. Louder and my ears start to bleed but I’m sure that’s entirely normal... /s :beyersmile: At 80dB you are at the cusp of hearing damage. I would imagine you are almost out of straws, you’ve grasped them all.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #806 of 2,052
A problem is:, the sound starts to get worse and "clip" at higher volumes. I'm talking about just slightly louder than moderate levels. When increasing the volume, the sound should homogeneously get louder but I guess high treble gets louder than anything else and the sound quality breaks down.
This problem isn't present with Aeon 1. It starts to clip after a volume too but the threshold is very high (around 100 dB I guess). But for Aeon 2 the problems start around 80-85 dB.

I am already returning it.
Believe me if I simply disliked the sound I wouldn't be bothered this much. For example I disliked Focal Elear but that headphone sounds fine and just not my tastes. So I don't whine on the Elear thread.
But A2C seems to have significant issues. Sound quality of a headphone shouldn't change much with volume. All headphone break apart after a point but usually above 100 dB, out of regular listening volumes. But A2C breaks after 80-ish decibels , right at the moderate llistening levels. Isn't this a significant issue ? And this is not a sub $100 IEM, it is a $1100 headphone...

Pretty sure you are clipping your amp. A2 is a bit less sensitive then A1 and both will clip at a lower volume than dynamics, which are almost always more efficient than planar magnetics. The behavior of the headphone DOESN'T change with volume so if the brightness happens when its louder clipping is 95% likely the issue. I suspect you are playing louder than you think and that your SPL is a lot higher than 80, which is a flag to watch for hearing damage. I did ask you right away if this happened at all volumes as clipping is the usual suspect if someone says "bright"...

I did a rough check on my DX220 and hit 100dB with no audible clipping and well south of full volume but I didn't go higher to avoid exposing myself to that much SPL. Please direct further support questions to me if you have them. The community isn't going to be able to help you and your issue is suitability to your listening level with that amp rather than a product fault.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 14, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #807 of 2,052
Pretty sure you are clipping your amp
Hey Dan, This reminded me of something I wanted to ask you, Not sure I understand what clipping is. I had an issue with my amp that was only evident on the A2's. It is a Questile CMA400I. It is a current mode amp and can support IEM's too, But It has a power limiting circlet for low impedance headphones. This seems to get trigger by the A2's so it thinks they are IEM's and drops the power down to 410mw@32Ohms. Its not an issue for me as I orders an amp especially for the A2c's and just use the Dac stage of the 400i, they sound brilliant now.

But I was wondering if that is clipping or is it something else entirely ? Sorry if this is a stupid question ....

Jan 14, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #808 of 2,052
Hey Dan, This reminded me of something I wanted to ask you, Not sure I understand what clipping is. I had an issue with my amp that was only evident on the A2's. It is a Questile CMA400I. It is a current mode amp and can support IEM's too, But It has a power limiting circlet for low impedance headphones. This seems to get trigger by the A2's so it thinks they are IEM's and drops the power down to 410mw@32Ohms. Its not an issue for me as I orders an amp especially for the A2c's and just use the Dac stage of the 400i, they sound brilliant now.

But I was wondering if that is clipping or is it something else entirely ? Sorry if this is a stupid question ....

I don't know how that unit's load detection functions but if it's automatic and based on impedance then it would probably trigger. Never heard of anyone doing that before...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 14, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #809 of 2,052
Never heard of anyone doing that before...

I know right, its a Class A amp too, but I think they put a 2.5mm socket in parallel with the 4 pin XLR and assumed any low impedance headphone are IEM's. I diffident even know it did that until I plugged the A2c's in. Still gave me a good excuse to get a new amp :) The THX 888 chip set keeps the noise down down and drives the A2's brilliantly. And I have something else to play with :).

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #810 of 2,052
Pretty sure you are clipping your amp. A2 is a bit less sensitive then A1 and both will clip at a lower volume than dynamics, which are almost always more efficient than planar magnetics. The behavior of the headphone DOESN'T change with volume so if the brightness happens when its louder clipping is 95% likely the issue. I suspect you are playing louder than you think and that your SPL is a lot higher than 80, which is a flag to watch for hearing damage. I did ask you right away if this happened at all volumes as clipping is the usual suspect if someone says "bright"...

I did a rough check on my DX220 and hit 100dB with no audible clipping and well south of full volume but I didn't go higher to avoid exposing myself to that much SPL. Please direct further support questions to me if you have them. The community isn't going to be able to help you and your issue is suitability to your listening level with that amp rather than a product fault.

The behavior of the headphone DOESN'T change with volume

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/hp-fr7.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back