The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Jan 12, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #781 of 2,052
I'm having more time with A2C and I had some good sounds out of it, I wouldn't call it broken anymore as at least some tracks sounded good. A2C's bass is actually nice. Atmospheric music and similar calm stuff sounds good but "action packed" music sounds worse. I'm also not a fan of its vocal performance.

I also A/B it with Elegia (both driven by DX220 AMP8 - 4.4mm VIVO cable / $100 4.4mm Arctic Cables Elegia Cable

Elegia is better. Actually I am not super satisfied with Elegia and find it a litte bit overrated at its own. But compared to A2C it has bigger soundstage (both still nowhere near open backs) and much more clean/ fluid sound. Elegia has brighter more energetic tone but the "high frequency grain" problem of A2C is not present with Elegia, interestingly.

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #782 of 2,052
I listened to "A Place in Heaven" on my gaming headset (Beyer MMX300 / DT770 Pro) and can see it being a bit fatigueing in the highs there, not the best recording/mix for judging it I guess.

But if its what you listen to, you need a headphone to suit !

Jan 13, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #784 of 2,052
Now I watched. Actually the reviewer is one of the few honest ones as he mentioned the issues of the headphone: no dynamics -soundstage - upper midrange dip.
However I disagree to his "strings sound fantastic" comment. He showed the FR graph, with such a huge upper midrange-lower treble dip it is not possible for strings to sound detailed.

fe.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 13, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #785 of 2,052
Now I watched. Actually the reviewer is one of the few honest ones as he mentioned the issues of the headphone: no dynamics -soundstage - upper midrange dip.
However I disagree to his "strings sound fantastic" comment. He showed the FR graph, with such a huge upper midrange-lower treble dip it is not possible for strings to sound detailed.

They might still sound detailed. String instruments range from around 55-3500 Hz, which is pretty flat except the top 500 or so Hz. So unless the strings are playing high notes, that dip won't be obvious.

Also don't post any personal attacks. You make it hard for people to have any strong criticisms here.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #786 of 2,052
... the only common string instrument that commonly extends beyond 4k is the violin and it's rare that it does so consistently in music.

In that review they mention using minidsp EARS and their FR graph is completely different than the one posted by head-fi which is done with much better equipment. The dip that's mentioned isn't shown on the head-fi graph. I know it's semi-subjective but on my pair of closed I tried a sine sweep and didn't notice any substantial drops at or around the 4k frequency. I would imagine a 15dB dip as seen in the review would be very obvious. I'm happy with my A2C and I love information - I hope some of the few with proper measuring equipment get their hands on them! I'd love to see some other measurements like some square waves.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #787 of 2,052
@flarex3
... the only common string instrument that can easily extend beyond 8k is the violin and it's rare that it does so consistently in music. Your statement therefore is illogical and uninformed.

Look at the graph again. The dip is between 1k-4k and almost -20 dB around 3k. This is the presence region of most of the instruments/vocals.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #788 of 2,052
Look at the graph again. The dip is between 2k-4k and almost -20 dB around 3k. This is the presence region of most of the instruments/vocals.
Did you look at the head-fi FR graph as well done on far more accurate equipment rather than hanging on to the only evidence you have? Again... I do not hear any significant dip. A -20dB dip would be very obvious.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #789 of 2,052
Please talk about the headphone, not about users
Of course I know this hobby is subjective Fof example I dislike Focal Elear. Not my preferred sound sig. But I understand how can some like it and I don't call it broken or something.
But I think that Aeon 2C sounds completely wrong and inacceptable at this price point. $1100 with cable... Of course this is just my opinion. If you disagree and like this headphone you are free to share why you like it.

If you want to hear a direct comparision, at the exact same price Elegia sounds much better. Out of the exact same gear. And the difference is night and day.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #791 of 2,052
Just realised I joined these forums in 2009 :O

Basically no-one in Aus has these, so impressions from people down here is non-existant. Waiting to hear some shops thoughts on them and if they stack up against others in the price bracket. sound wise. Build, comfort, portable is all awesome, comes down to SQ.

Jan 13, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #792 of 2,052
Just realised I joined these forums in 2009 :O

Basically no-one in Aus has these, so impressions from people down here is non-existant. Waiting to hear some shops thoughts on them and if they stack up against others in the price bracket. sound wise. Build, comfort, portable is all awesome, comes down to SQ.

what is it that a shop could say without sounding like a shill? I will offer a “sold unit” comparison on cans between $700 USD & $1000 USD. Since the release of the A2O & A2C, those 2 models are about 10% of that price range of cans in our sales. We’ve had 1 return from a user that made a different selection. Zero defective units 1 faulty cable. These are actually statistics that say they are both popular choices and with very little issues. My opinion is I find both highly competitive in sound quality by comparison to that price range and when compared to their predecessors, definitely an improvement in most ways, particularly in the mid detail and bass presentation. Best I can offer you!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 13, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #794 of 2,052
Oh boy! The waiting is killing me. I was expecting my A2O to arrive Friday but it's coming tomorrow. I'm so curious to compare them to AFO (by memory) and to put them against my LCD-2.

Last night I used them for my review with Rush's Moving Pictures on my Hugo 2 and I absolutely loved the setup!!! RIP Neil Peart. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back