The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Jan 9, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #751 of 2,052
Definately. But of course things aren't broken according to their records, which is the silly thing.

Test another cable. Test another player. If still bad, send back.

Burn in won't change anything realistically.
I agree with you in most cases... but the Ether 2’s in particular benefit tremendously from Around 100 hours of play time. I contacted DCA with my pair thinking it could be defective upon the first couple listens but after a few days the sound sig smoothed out nicely!

For some reason Dan’s drivers need burn in. My Ether C’s have shown similar traits.

Testing another cable seems like a prudent idea.
Best-

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #752 of 2,052
Definately. But of course things aren't broken according to their records, which is the silly thing.

Test another cable. Test another player. If still bad, send back.

Burn in won't change anything realistically.

Of course they are not recorded as being broken, or they wouldn’t have shipped them. That doesn’t mean they are not broken and just slipped through QC. I don’t know why it seems you are being so resistant, yet want to bash the sound profile. If they aren’t broken, they aren’t for you. But you won’t know unless you send them back and try another pair.

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #753 of 2,052
Of course they are not recorded as being broken, or they wouldn’t have shipped them. That doesn’t mean they are not broken and just slipped through QC. I don’t know why it seems you are being so resistant, yet want to bash the sound profile. If they aren’t broken, they aren’t for you. But you won’t know unless you send them back and try another pair.

I'm not in US and shipping to there and from here would be expensive. They told me that a product with such defectivity certainly wouldn't pass their extended test. I should believe that I am not that unlucky to receive a defective pair out of thousands of properly working ones.

This isn't the first time someone on head-fi find a headphone's sound awful. This doesn't mean his pair is 100% defective.

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #755 of 2,052
What are you on about? I think you been skimming through. Or you getting me mixed up?

I'm not bashing the sound. Haven't heard the things yet.

I was making fun at their reply to the guy who is having the issue. They told him they passed QC (durrr) and aren't damaged because they ship in padding (as if that means anything).

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #756 of 2,052
I'm not in US and shipping to there and from here would be expensive. They told me that a product with such defectivity certainly wouldn't pass their extended test. I should believe that I am not that unlucky to receive a defective pair out of thousands of properly working ones.

This isn't the first time someone on head-fi find a headphone's sound awful. This doesn't mean his pair is 100% defective.

True, but they way you are describing them as just really really bad - is not consistent with others impressions - especially the treble - and based on the other headphones you have which have extended treble - like the HD800 treble does not bother you but aeon does. It just seems kind of weird . Just does not make sense- I would check if there are any dealers in your country to compare - but bottom line is up to you. My advice if you are not satisfied just return them

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #757 of 2,052
What are you on about? I think you been skimming through. Or you getting me mixed up?

I'm not bashing the sound. Haven't heard the things yet.

I was making fun at their reply to the guy who is having the issue. They told him they passed QC (durrr) and aren't damaged because they ship in padding (as if that means anything).

Sorry, didn’t mean to reply to you, but the OP.

Jan 9, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #758 of 2,052
True, but they way you are describing them as just really really bad - is not consistent with others impressions - especially the treble - and based on the other headphones you have which have extended treble - like the HD800 treble does not bother you but aeon does. It just seems kind of weird . Just does not make sense- I would check if there are any dealers in your country to compare - but bottom line is up to you. My advice if you are not satisfied just return them
HD800s have rather boosted treble than extended IMO.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #759 of 2,052

Just my 5 cents. They sound much better than AFC1 out of the box, they have bass and are very resolving. I am using black filter 1. Amp8EX less than 200h, Vivo cable around 250h with AFC1 & AFC2 and AFC2 ca 20h.
My Flac library is HD. Now I am listening with the DX220 to Let’s Rock from The Black Keys at 24bit & 48Khz and the sound is, while typical of The Black Keys, very good.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #760 of 2,052

You've lost all credibility with me.

Jan 11, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #761 of 2,052
Just my 5 cents. They sound much better than AFC1 out of the box, they have bass and are very resolving..
Interesting. To me the AFC has the right amount of bass. Does that mean that the AFC2 are bass emphasized?
Can anybody share a FR curve to compare both? Thanks.

Jan 11, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #762 of 2,052
Just my 5 cents. They sound much better than AFC1 out of the box, they have bass and are very resolving. I am using black filter 1. Amp8EX less than 200h, Vivo cable around 250h with AFC1 & AFC2 and AFC2 ca 20h.
My Flac library is HD. Now I am listening with the DX220 to Let’s Rock from The Black Keys at 24bit & 48Khz and the sound is, while typical of The Black Keys, very good.

I bought my AFC1's used, so whatever effects break-in may have had with those was already in place before I got them. I bought the AFC2's new and they sounded very good out of the box, but needed (to my ears) around 100 hours for the dynamics to fully develop. They were a bit boring initially, but after a good amount of play time became anything but boring.

Jan 11, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #763 of 2,052
Interesting. To me the AFC has the right amount of bass. Does that mean that the AFC2 are bass emphasized?
Can anybody share a FR curve to compare both? Thanks.
Well, don’t get me wrong. I did not like initially the AFC1 out of the box, but after burn in I love the mids and highs (black filter 1). But regarding bass, for me it’s a bit anemic. I am not a bass-head, but I find it lacking on drums, or in baroque music when a basso continuo is used. The AFC2 has clearly more bass, but less than HEXv2 or the Empyrean.

Jan 11, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #764 of 2,052
Well, don’t get me wrong. I did not like initially the AFC1 out of the box, but after burn in I love the mids and highs (black filter 1). But regarding bass, for me it’s a bit anemic. I am not a bass-head, but I find it lacking on drums, or in baroque music when a basso continuo is used. The AFC2 has clearly more bass, but less than HEXv2 or the Empyrean.

Agree. I wouldn't refer to the AFC2's as pronounced or heavy in the bass, but they are filled in more nicely in the mid-to-upper bass than the AFC1's. I have a Schiit Loki (equalizer) in the chain, and with the AFC1's I'd normally turn the bass control up into the 1:00 - 2:00 position (12:00 being neutral) depending on the music. With the AFC2's, I leave it pretty much at the 12:00 position.

Jan 11, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #765 of 2,052
I don't have any sound measuring equipment, but maybe someone who does can chime in. I was just looking for resources on safe listening levels and am wondering if someone could tell me roughly where on the ifi Micro BL would cover the 65-95 decibel range? I find I enjoy my music most with the A2C around 12 o'clock using normal power mode with windows volume at 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back