The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Jan 8, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #721 of 2,052
@flarex3

Definitely not how I’d describe them. You mentioned not having tried the filters. Perhaps try the filters? I’d skip straight to the white based on your description. If still no then talk to Dan Clark Audio. Their service is excellent. What was your previous and/or favourite closed headphone?

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #723 of 2,052
Surely if you put on a pair of 900 USD headphones that are recieving vast amounts of praise at that price point, and you think to yourself "these sound like absolute trash", you would make sure something isn't wrong first.

Jan 9, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #724 of 2,052
To me, it's a defective cable, maybe short circuit at the plug(s), or bad plug contact with your DAP.

Not really.

@flarex3

Definitely not how I’d describe them. You mentioned not having tried the filters. Perhaps try the filters?

I've tried filters, they dampen highs as expected but no help to fix the horrible sound.

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #725 of 2,052
Today I've received my A2C. I am driving it with my iBasso DX220 DAP AMP8

I wasn't a fan of the previous Aeon but I wanted give a try to the new one.

I've been listening to the A2C (no filters) for an hour and it is a disaster so far. The sound is horrible, everything sounds like 128 kbps mp3. The music is extremely unclear. I keep browsing my library but everything sounds unlistenable. Worse than the AFC1

I've tried several high-end headphones, I liked some and disliked some but never faced something like this.
I don't know if anything will get better after burn-in but I'm shocked so far.

I have exactly the same setup and it sounds good to me, Some thoughts, you seem to be using the stock cable from the pick ? which is single ended. Your AMP8 is balanced so Im guessing you are using some sort of adaptor ? Balanced out into a single ended cable will short the balanced circlet on the amp unless you have a smart adaptor or a balanced cable replacement for your cans ? How is the sound when you go single ended into the stock amp1mk2 ?

I made a cable up myself that is fully balanced and I get a nice clear evan SQ, Im using the thinnest filer pads too.

Hope this helps in some way.

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #726 of 2,052
I have exactly the same setup and it sounds good to me, Some thoughts, you seem to be using the stock cable from the pick ? which is single ended. Your AMP8 is balanced so Im guessing you are using some sort of adaptor ? Balanced out into a single ended cable will short the balanced circlet on the amp unless you have a smart adaptor or a balanced cable replacement for your cans ? How is the sound when you go single ended into the stock amp1mk2 ?

I made a cable up myself that is fully balanced and I get a nice clear evan SQ, Im using the thinnest filer pads too.

Hope this helps in some way.

I ordered it with 4.4mm VIVO cable to use with my AMP8

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #735 of 2,052
How do these sound against the Z1R?

The Z1R is V or U-shaped with a bigger soundstage and dynamics against the AFC 1. And it seems that this seems also how the AFC 2 sounds like in comparison to the AFC 1 based on what I have been reading?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back