The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Jan 9, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #737 of 2,052
How do these sound against the Z1R?

The Z1R is V or U-shaped with a bigger soundstage and dynamics against the AFC 1. And it seems that this seems also how the AFC 2 sounds like in comparison to the AFC 1 based on what I have been reading?

I'd like to know too.

I have the chance to buy a set of Z1R, fairly mint, for around 680 USD. But can't decide on those or Aeon 2 new (about 40% more). Aeon has a better shape, more portable, and unlikely to have the weird treble stuff the Z1R has. But Z1R cheap, solid headphone, copper cable can help the highs.

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #738 of 2,052
Correct.

I've been listening more, the exact problem is the high frequency grain which overshadows everything. If I can eliminate it the rest can sound good I guess.

I'm not familiar with the AMP8, but it appears to have plenty of output. You likely have a defective cable or headphone. If you haven't already, reach out to your dealer. What you've described definitely sounds "broken."

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Jan 9, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #740 of 2,052
Okay but how can they help me ? I will send them my headphones, they will send me a new unit which will magically sound much better ? ...
Assuming yours are broken, yes. That is the idea.

You need to test them on something else first, and then preferable with another cable.

Nobody else seems to be saying what you are about them, does that not make you wonder if yours are actually fualty?

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #743 of 2,052
Okay but how can they help me ? I will send them my headphones, they will send me a new unit which will magically sound much better ? ...

@FunderFURY is spot on when he says that Dan Clark Audio will take care of you and help you to sort through any problems that you are having.

From everything that you have stated it sounds like you headphones are either faulty and that you need to go through the proper channels (ie. talk to DCA) to rectify the situation, or that you just do not like them and feel that you were misguided in your purchase and are bitter.

I have to assume you have another pair of headphones (or speakers) that you can listen to your music library with? I am not sure how someone else telling you a song sounds good on a set of headphones is going to convince you that your set is broken.

If you do not like the sound signature that is ok too, just return them and move on. Since multiple other members have said that their Aeons sound nothing like your description I cannot imagine your set does not have some sort of hardware issue. Can you tell us what other headphones you own that have a signature that you enjoy?

Good luck getting it all sorted out, but please reach out to Dan as your next step.

Best-

Jan 9, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #744 of 2,052
I mentioned to check your cable termination and plug contact earlier because I had a similar problem with my Audioquest Nightowl. It has 1/8" TRRS plug (hp + mic). I use standard 1/4" TRS adapter which was picky with some amps. The signal bridge didn't work well with a couple of them and everything sounded muffled and distorted.

Jan 9, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #745 of 2,052
on. Since multiple other members have said that their Aeons sound nothing like your description I cannot imagine your set does not have some sort of hardware issue. Can you tell us what other headphones you own that have a signature that you enjoy?

I reached Dan and iBasso with my product serial numbers and they told me that my units are not defective, they make extensive tests of the products before shipping them. My products also came with super-safe multi layered package so they weren't damaged during the shipping. Therefore defectivity is probably not the case.

Both also told me to burn-in their respective products for at least for 100 hours and the highs will smooth out. Let's see.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #746 of 2,052
I reached Dan and iBasso with my product serial numbers and they told me that my units are not defective, they make extensive tests of the products before shipping them. My products also came with super-safe multi layered package so they weren't damaged during the shipping. Therefore defectivity is probably not the case.

Both also told me to burn-in their respective products for at least for 100 hours and the highs will smooth out. Let's see.

Glad to hear you heard a positive response from both companies. If burn in does not change your opinion on the sound sig. perhaps you can try finding a hifi shop that will let you try out a different cable or amp pairing. Only other option is to send it back as not to your taste.

Best-

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #747 of 2,052
It sounds like they're not to his taste. The highs on the A2C are the most energetic of all DCA headphones I've heard. They're close to or at Beyerdynamic level. The damping pads lower it somewhat. On poorly recorded tracks it can be punishing, but on well recorded ones you hear treble detail that just isn't there on many other headphones and it sounds fantastic. They're very unforgiving headphones to my ears.

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #748 of 2,052
It sounds like they're not to his taste. The highs on the A2C are the most energetic of all DCA headphones I've heard. They're close to or at Beyerdynamic level. The damping pads lower it somewhat. On poorly recorded tracks it can be punishing, but on well recorded ones you hear treble detail that just isn't there on many other headphones and it sounds fantastic. They're very unforgiving headphones to my ears.

Yes A2C's highs are very energetic. Actually I'm into sparky highs, I love extented high note violins and so. But for A2C it seems like recording flaws and other unwanted stuff are being emphasized in highs rather than "pleasing high note spark ".
Also agree to the being extremely unforgiving.

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #749 of 2,052
You can still ask to send them back and at least ask for a check up- just because is not defective according their records does not mean they are not broken. Things happen- that’s what I would do

Jan 9, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #750 of 2,052
You can still ask to send them back and at least ask for a check up- just because is not defective according their records does not mean they are not broken. Things happen- that’s what I would do
Definately. But of course things aren't broken according to their records, which is the silly thing.

Test another cable. Test another player. If still bad, send back.

Burn in won't change anything realistically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back