"The Lab"
Oct 4, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #13,006 of 20,136
As long as the touchscreen-based DAP has a goof GUI, hardware controls for quick/blind operation, and is reasonably priced I'm all in. Haven't seen one of those yet.

I'm honestly really looking forward to seeing some audio-centric reviews of the LG V10 and/or hoping for the Meizu Pro 5 to support 4G/LTE in the US. I'm really curious to see if those can take the place of a DAP.

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #13,007 of 20,136

Those DAPs do seem pretty sweet - I'll toss in the Cayin too, and I'm looking forward to more impressions, but… I'm going to have to rethink this whole DAP aquisition. It was pointed out in another thread, by a person far smarter than myself, that I do in fact want a device with a shiny touchscreen that takes up all the surface area. This goes for you guys as well. You just need to open your minds and accept it as fact.

Mr Trev, you are smart enough to know that there is perhaps only one person smarter that you - maybe "Trump-Man"

Please tell us more about these shiny touchscreen you refer to? 

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #13,009 of 20,136
Only $799.00, sorry bro, I am looking for something much more expensive that I cannot afford.
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #13,011 of 20,136
Unless that TEAC sounds super-amazing, it looks freaking huge and too expensive for what you're getting.

Methinks the same, any DAP maker that thinks they will get a free ride on the Lab -  better think twice!
devil_face.gif

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #13,012 of 20,136

Those DAPs do seem pretty sweet - I'll toss in the Cayin too, and I'm looking forward to more impressions, but… I'm going to have to rethink this whole DAP aquisition. It was pointed out in another thread, by a person far smarter than myself, that I do in fact want a device with a shiny touchscreen that takes up all the surface area. This goes for you guys as well. You just need to open your minds and accept it as fact.

This is a conclusion that I came to very recently, and I basically made a purchase decision based on that yesterday. means no more purchases for the year am totally tapped out :p Okay, might make one more small purchase but its a companion device then am set.
As long as the touchscreen-based DAP has a goof GUI, hardware controls for quick/blind operation, and is reasonably priced I'm all in. Haven't seen one of those yet.

I'm honestly really looking forward to seeing some audio-centric reviews of the LG V10 and/or hoping for the Meizu Pro 5 to support 4G/LTE in the US. I'm really curious to see if those can take the place of a DAP.

the lack of band support makes me hesitate in purchasing these phones. The LG will be available locally but not the Pro 5 obviously.

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #13,014 of 20,136
Unless that TEAC sounds super-amazing, it looks freaking huge and too expensive for what you're getting.

I didn't even know that TEAC even existed until today. Actually didn't even know TEAC still existed period its been so long since I heard the name. It does look huge, but price wise isn't it round the same range as those Pioneer/Onkyo devices.

Quote:

This is a conclusion that I came to very recently, and I basically made a purchase decision based on that yesterday. means no more purchases for the year am totally tapped out :p Okay, might make one more small purchase but its a companion device then am set.

the lack of band support makes me hesitate in purchasing these phones. The LG will be available locally but not the Pro 5 obviously.

Touchscreens really aren't for me, tbh (there was some guy stirring s--t up on the x5-2 thread because people weren't demanding touchscreens). They just don't seem all that important for a portable audio device. Granted alot of the companies still need to do a whole lot of work on their UI and control layout (I still can't figure out why the Cayin n5 has the forward/back buttons vertically arranged). I'm also pretty sure that there are some horrible touchscreen based interfaces too. I don't agree with the development route that smartphones are taking either. Really, does anybody need a phone the size of a freakin license plate.

Of course, this is just my 5¢

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #13,015 of 20,136

I didn't even know that TEAC even existed until today. Actually didn't even know TEAC still existed period its been so long since I heard the name. It does look huge, but price wise isn't it round the same range as those Pioneer/Onkyo devices.

TEAC and Onkyo are basically the same company. See:

http://www.amazon.ca/portable-headphone-amplifier-equipped-DAC-HA200/dp/B00L5H6B3C/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443988674&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=onkyo+dac+amp+portable
http://www.amazon.ca/TEAC-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-HA-P50/dp/B00IA8ULEY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FC62Z92ARJBD65JARXC

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #13,018 of 20,136
Not sure if others have tried this, but...

Havi + KZ ear tips + amp with power = some bloody good bass! First time I've heard the B3P1 sound this good.

Guess it being Massive Attack on play might help.

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #13,019 of 20,136
Speaking of DAPs, anyone familiar with this one? TEAC HA-P90SD

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_1305&item_id=088378

If the TEAC DAP is anything like the TEAC-UD501 I'll pass without a second thought.

Shanling M3 has REW=UP and FFWD=DOWN, too. Not sure why...

Luckily, they've changed to a horizontal arrangement with M2.

I think it's the association with prev (as in previous up the list) for rewind and next (next down the list) for fast forward.

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #13,020 of 20,136
Not sure if others have tried this, but...

Havi + KZ ear tips + amp with power = some bloody good bass! First time I've heard the B3P1 sound this good.

Guess it being Massive Attack on play might help.

Have been using these tips with B3P1 for over 2 months and prefer them even over the JVC Spiral dots with the Havi.

I have mentioned it sometime ago and this is the freshest post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/741221/havi-b3-pro-1-thread-2-0/1365#post_11963350

Glad to know that you discover them too. Seals better than spiral dots as well (YMMW). Thats one of the biggest reason for bass.

And dirt cheap too... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back