"The Lab"
Apr 2, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #2,402 of 20,136

First of all I am actually touched by the helpfulness of all the labsters, much appreciated folks! And for the tenore, as good as they are, I don't want her to have to deal with typical tenore syndrome. Unless they have worked out all the QC problems? They would be a fantastic choice otherwise.

I love you guys for realz, its like we are a tight family 

Hmmm... the Phonak Audeo 012 are on special right now on Amazon for $70. They're a really great pair of IEMs and they're customizable if you can get your hands on those filters. (These don't come with filters if Im not mistaken, but they're compatible)

http://www.amazon.com/Audeo-Perfect-Bass-Earphones-Black/dp/B003V9QDXK

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #2,403 of 20,136

Hmmm... the Phonak Audeo 012 are on special right now on Amazon for $70. They're a really great pair of IEMs and they're customizable if you can get your hands on those filters. (These don't come with filters if Im not mistaken, but they're compatible)

Oh yeah, I didn't even think of them! Awesome find DJScope! They were given positive impressions by Hisoundfi as well as Peter. No to mention I think the earphone solutions code discount is still working. :D

Although I did mention cable down being preferable, the PFE fit so nice I think it might be a sold choice as well. Will add that to the list

Edit: earphonesolutions front page is even advertising the code but it doesn't seem to be working at the checkout menu. Are the PFE worth getting without the extra filters? Just don't want to complicate things for her

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #2,404 of 20,136

Oh yeah, I didn't even think of them! Awesome find DJScope! They were given positive impressions by Hisoundfi as well as Peter. No to mention I think the earphone solutions code discount is still working. :D

Although I did mention cable down being preferable, the PFE fit so nice I think it might be a sold choice as well. Will add that to the list

You can wear these cable down. My friend has these and they are extremely good. Also they very light and comfortable. I think it will be a perfect entry into the IEM world.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #2,405 of 20,136
Labsters I humbly request your assistance in a matter of great importance.... :p

I have been trying to get one of my closest friends into audio and she has finally relented. I want to get her a pair of in ears with the wire down that she can use at work while working. I haven't been keeping up with the chinese headphone thread as I spend most of my time here with the rest of the cool kids :wink:

I am not sure what to recommend her. I was primarily thinking of going with something that is cable down as this will be her first good headphone and I don't know how she will like cable going up. Any suggestions would be welcome, bonus points if its on amazon. She's in the states so she will be buying it there.

I was thinking Pistons 2.1 

Kc06. Cable down or up. Great sound. Great price. Bam!

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #2,406 of 20,136
To give you a hint on what I'm about to post - these are the best I've heard under USD 50.00, and I'd also take them over the Havi any day of the week (and I like the Havi).  Pics are done. Just formatting now.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #2,407 of 20,136
  To give you a hint on what I'm about to post - these are the best I've heard under USD 50.00, and I'd also take them over the Havi any day of the week (and I like the Havi).  Pics are done. Just formatting now.

Stop teasing us!!!!

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #2,408 of 20,136

You can wear these cable down. My friend has these and they are extremely good. Also they very light and comfortable. I think it will be a perfect entry into the IEM world.

Would they be worth getting without the extra filters? Just want to keep it as simple as possible as it is the first time. Then once I hook her then I can get her to waste money errr I mean invest on better pairs :p  I

Kc06. Cable down or up. Great sound. Great price. Bam!

Nice one wayne, and they look pretty nice and offers some situational awareness and is not 100 percent isolating which would be a plus in this case :) Much appreciated 

Holy smokes, seriously? Darn it, now you got me hooked as well LOL. I recall you got your own pair of Havis after your review so this would have to be something special to replace that :)  Am giddy now because I will get myself a pair too haha. 

So this is the list thus far of possible candidates:
- Piston 2.1 or 3.0
- SoundMagic E10 or E30
- Audeo Phonak PFE 012 without filter sets
- Ostry KC06a
- Titan 1 
- Mystery new IEM as hinted by Brooko

List is looking good so far :)

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #2,409 of 20,136

Would they be worth getting without the extra filters? Just want to keep it as simple as possible as it is the first time. Then once I hook her then I can get her to waste money errr I mean invest on better pairs :p  I

Nice one wayne, and they look pretty nice and offers some situational awareness and is not 100 percent isolating which would be a plus in this case :) Much appreciated 

Holy smokes, seriously? Darn it, now you got me hooked as well LOL. I recall you got your own pair of Havis after your review so this would have to be something special to replace that :)  Am giddy now because I will get myself a pair too haha. 

So this is the list thus far of possible candidates:
- Piston 2.1 or 3.0
- SoundMagic E10 or E30
- Audeo Phonak PFE 012 without filter sets
- Ostry KC06a
- Titan 1 
- Mystery new IEM as hinted by Brooko

List is looking good so far :)

I've only tried them with the neutral filters and the bass filters. Both sounded really good. But I preferred the neutral filters. But it down to preference really. Most people prefer more bass, hence why this is the cheapest package you can get for the Phonaks. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #2,410 of 20,136
Well i guess i may as well post my set of gear. I dont have much in terms of headphones since i only have one pair of IEM's and a semi dead pair of klipsch Image s4a2's (Build quality was awful, sold by klipsch through amazon so not fake either). I occasionally dabble in making music in my spare time.

My Yamaha EPH100 IEM's, I use a Logitech z5500 5.1 system on my PC, i play games so 5.1 is nice since im not a fan of wearing headphones.

Novation MiniNova synthesizer being powered by a usb battery bank because lights :p It can also be bus powered by my tablet which is below.

A Behringer FCA 202 that is not used due to a total lack of 64bit drivers grrr...

A Yamaha Piano synth, its a bit old originating from 1996 but sounds pretty neat in my opinion.

An Akai LPK 25 mini keyboard, just a little handy keyboard for when i need it. Also works with my Galaxy S2 via otg if i fancy working like that.

My computer screen setup with the tablet below also running Ableton Live. I use a Xonar DX soundcard with my computer since i use 5.1 speakers so i need more than 2 channel audio. The audio input on the xonar is pretty nice but due to my new graphics card setup is a little noisy. I am very tempted to get a Behringer UCA202 so i can plug audio in through that as well since i have used one before and it sounded pretty good, as well as being driverless and cheap.

All of this means i can pack the mininova up and put the tablet in its bag with a keyboard, mouse and usb hub and have a fully mobile usb powered set up, i can then charge the tablet from battery bank and have the tablet power the mininova while charging.

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #2,412 of 20,136
  @Brooko 's definitely talking about one of these :D
http://www.head-fi.org/t/760277/introducing-trinity-audio-engineering

Yep. If you haven't seen the thread you'd just go nuts over his constant teasing. 
biggrin.gif

The thread already has pics and impressions, so just go over there to know what he's talking about.

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #2,414 of 20,136
OK - here's the review - http://www.head-fi.org/products/trinity-hyperion-dynamic-iem/reviews/12834

I'll be putting my money where my mouth is on this one.  As soon as Kickstarter campaign is underway, I'm ordering three (of the Hyperion).  Bob would probably give them to me - but I'm doing this because they are genuinely that good and I would feel guilty taking them as a gift.  I'm going to keep my evaluation sample for myself and for further comparisons.  it has now become my default budget IEM for others to measure against.

Sorry for the delay - these things take a while to write.

Trinity thread is here for discussions for anyone interested : http://www.head-fi.org/t/760277/introducing-trinity-audio-engineering

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #2,415 of 20,136

Phonak PFE 012 comes with the green filters (bass filters) which attenuates the mids and highs. From my experience, the best sound from the PFE 012 is with the grey filters (neutral filters) but it's harder to come by nowadays. Another option is to get the PFE 111 or PFE 112 which are the exact same thing but comes pre-installed with the grey filters (neutral filters). Here's the Amazon link to the PFE 111 going for $102.99 with free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Aud%C3%A9o-Perfect-Fit-Earphones-White/dp/B004MA7MPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428020794&sr=8-1&keywords=phonak+pfe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back