"The Lab"
Dec 18, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #15,376 of 20,136
Okay fellas (and Lorspeaker) :)

Question of the day!

What was your favorite purchase or acquisition of 2015?

If I bought one it would be the Mojo.... Hands down!

For headphone/IEM I'd say Angie (yes, over the ETHER C). Wish I could hear my K10 CIEM already but likely in the new year.

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #15,379 of 20,136

The Mojo was the biggest overall surprise for me. Not sure what is it about it but I am really smitten by it. 

Admit it. It's the big glowing lights, isn't it
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #15,381 of 20,136
Dec 19, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #15,382 of 20,136
Acquisition: Zen 2.0 and LZ A2 (A2 was the biggest surprise of the year for me)

The Mojo was the biggest overall surprise for me. Not sure what is it about it but I am really smitten by it. 

Tamal, Rob dropped this bomb in the Mojo thread.

I promised some time ago that I would show some measurements showing Mojo's performance. My reasoning for this was that Mojo does things that no other (non Chord) DAC does at any price; I was kind of annoyed that some people were comparing it to $100 DACs when the true competitors were $100K - and I kind of get that, its difficult to take Mojo seriously given its size and price. But if you could see the design complexity that goes inside Mojo then one could appreciate how much better it is; it really is vastly more complex than other DAC's, and this complexity is needed to recreate the original analogue signal accurately.

But I can show you that something special is going on from measurements. Take a look at this plot. This is a FFT of a 1kHz output at 2.5v RMS into a 300 ohm load (blue trace) and then with no signal (red trace):

Now what is very interesting is the noise floor at -175dB - it does not change at all with 2.5v or nothing which indicates a complete absence of measurable noise floor modulation. Noise floor modulation is extremely important subjectively - you perceive the slightest amount as a brightness or hardness to the sound. When it gets bad, you hear glare or grain in the treble. All DAC's (apart from Chord DAC's) suffer from measurable noise floor modulation - typically the noise floor would be -160 dB with no signal, and -140 dB at 2.5v RMS. Some Class D amps are awful with noise floor at -120 dB (one reason why Class D often sounds so bad).

To get this measurement is a massive challenge, as ADC's themselves have large amounts of noise floor modulation, way bigger than my DAC's. The only test instrument that has noise floor modulation that can actually measure Mojo's performance is the APX555. This uses a novel approach to solving the issue - 4 ADC's and an analogue notch filters. The outputs are combined in the digital domain, so this means one ADC is handling the fundamental sine wave, another ADC looks at the noise via the notch filter. So you will only be able to measure Mojo's true performance using the APX555. 

Many posters have commented on how smooth and musical sounding Mojo is - and its in part down to the absence of measurable noise floor modulation. Actually getting this performance is very complicated, as within the DAC there are a enormous number of mechanisms to create noise floor modulation. One reason why its taken me 20 years of DAC development to do it!

Rob

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #15,383 of 20,136
havent been paying attention to chordstuff....
and how much is the mojo again.... if it is 299...its a deal :p

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #15,384 of 20,136
havent been paying attention to chordstuff....
and how much is the mojo again.... if it is 299...its a deal :p

£399, $599 USD, $799 CAD. It's still a helluva deal. :)

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #15,387 of 20,136
Did they go on pretty easy? I have some angled pleathers laying around,  but I think the drivers are angled too.

Nica avatar Charlie, have you got them yet and if so how are they?

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #15,388 of 20,136
Dec 19, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #15,389 of 20,136
Nah, I just ordered them yesterday along with a bunch of stuff. Good stuff. :wink:

Sounds great, I'm looking forward to your impression on them when they do arrive.

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #15,390 of 20,136
  Did they go on pretty easy? I have some angled pleathers laying around,  but I think the drivers are angled too.

Those pads have been round the block, so it wasn't too hard getting them to fit (they've been on my hp150 and grados previously). I do have the angleds on my 150s now and that was a bit of work getting them on. I don't think the angled pads like being round
wink_face.gif
. If you're referring to the drivers on the X2, yes they are angled already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back