The KRK KNS-8400: you can have it all.
Aug 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #317 of 456
Has anyone ever gotten these to be rather hollow sounding? This happened today and it's just very, very strange. Happens on my Onkyo receiver too.
It sounded like there was this huge hole in the sound somewhere. Like the mids went on vacation and it was mostly light bass and LOTS of treble.

I was testing lots of different setups with all my headphones today.

It was X-Fi Go Pro (which is actually very, very good for the money!) to Headroom Micro Amp.

This sounded so bad..my first reaction was like "Wow, these aren't sounding as good as I remember...". Terrible actually. With the same setup I used my 6400 and DJ100 and it sounded amazing.
What the heck?

I switched my KNS-8400 to just using the output from the DAC and it's perfect. OK, so is it the Micro Amp? Nope.
I switched to using a Sansa Clip+ (that measures perfectly flat) to the Micro Amp and it's fine. Very strange.

If you want a pretty decent DAC for the 8400 I love this Creative DAC. Only $30 and sounds much better than that. It's clearly an update from the onboard sound and the piece of junk Audigy SE I just tested.

This thing even seems to drive my HD-580 decently..

BTW the soundstage of the 8400 + Xi-Fi Go Pro is quite impressive. It's definitely quite treble happy, but not too badly.

Another thing that makes this issue even stranger is that this DAC distorts my DJ100 yet the DJ100 sounds fine on my Technics receiver with an output impedance of 330ohm(!)

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #318 of 456
These headphones aren't unforgiving on poor recordings right? I want to use these for just listening to music and zoning out from everything around me, so I don't want to be wincing at harsh trebles or muddy basses.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #319 of 456
Quote:
These headphones aren't unforgiving on poor recordings right? I want to use these for just listening to music and zoning out from everything around me, so I don't want to be wincing at harsh trebles or muddy basses.

Look elsewhere if you want forgiving headphones. Plus, I thought the treble was a bit too hot, but I know we all hear things differently. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #321 of 456
Quote:
I was just hoping they would be a little forgiving. I'm not sure what other headphones have such a neutral signature with good clarity and details.

Try the Koss Pro DJ 100. I find them more balanced (and better) sounding than the KRKs, but not everyone will. I still love the 8400 and 6400 though and probably will never sell them.
Both KRKs are very bad for garbage tracks where it feels as if they cranked up the mids and treble. The DJ100 has lots of detail, but is much easier on the ears for the tracks the KRKs hate.
I wouldn't call the DJ100 forgiving though. You still need high bitrate files. Lots of my FLAC files still sound awful on the 8400.

The DJ100 also has better bass than the 8400 IMO. Listening to The Black Keys on the 8400 just makes me sad
normal_smile%20.gif

Too bad the DJ100 isn't as comfortable..

I think the 8400 has the DJ100 beat though when it comes their soundstage. With M50 pads it's pretty close.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #322 of 456
Try the Koss Pro DJ 100. I find them more balanced (and better) sounding than the KRKs, but not everyone will. I still love the 8400 and 6400 though and probably will never sell them.
Both KRKs are very bad for garbage tracks where it feels as if they cranked up the mids and treble. The DJ100 has lots of detail, but is much easier on the ears for the tracks the KRKs hate.
I wouldn't call the DJ100 forgiving though. You still need high bitrate files. Lots of my FLAC files still sound awful on the 8400.

The DJ100 also has better bass than the 8400 IMO. Listening to The Black Keys on the 8400 just makes me sad
normal_smile%20.gif

Too bad the DJ100 isn't as comfortable..

I think the 8400 has the DJ100 beat though when it comes their soundstage. With M50 pads it's pretty close.

Do they need to be amped? So you suggest M50 pads on the DJ100s?

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #323 of 456
Quote:
Do they need to be amped? So you suggest M50 pads on the DJ100s?

Well, the DJ100 sounds quite good straight from a Sansa Clip+, but not nearly as good with some other sources. An Iphone or similar should be OK.
The KRKs and DJ100 both benefit from an amp a lot. Even a Fiio E6 or E5 would help. Both are under $25.

I really like the M50 pads on the DJ100, but not everyone will. This seems to go against what everyone else says, but I think the DJ100 sounds MORE balanced with the M50 pads.

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #324 of 456
I'll add the Brainwavz HM5, and AKG K271 to the mix. The HM5 has a nice full sound with good clarity and detail. The K271 is slightly brighter sounding than the HM5, but it rarely fatigues me. The HM5 and 8400 have more sub-bass.

I think the 8400 and K271 are more comfortable to wear than the HM5. Some people think the clamping force on the HM5 is too high, and I can't disagree with them.

The K271 benefits more from an amp then the HM5 and 8400. The HM5 doesn't really need an amp at all if you ask me.

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #325 of 456
Quote:
Well, the DJ100 sounds quite good straight from a Sansa Clip+, but not nearly as good with some other sources. An Iphone or similar should be OK.
The KRKs and DJ100 both benefit from an amp a lot. Even a Fiio E6 or E5 would help. Both are under $25.

I really like the M50 pads on the DJ100, but not everyone will. This seems to go against what everyone else says, but I think the DJ100 sounds MORE balanced with the M50 pads.

Are there any other earpads that will fit on the DJ100? I'm hoping to be able to try out the 8400 with my music and see how much it will reveal. I really like the sound signature of the SRH840, but I can't get past the size of it. Is there a way to make the KRKs sound more like the 840? Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the DJ100 in any local music stores.

I might consider the Fiio amps, but as of now, I'd like to focus on the headphones only.

Quote:
I'll add the Brainwavz HM5, and AKG K271 to the mix. The HM5 has a nice full sound with good clarity and detail. The K271 is slightly brighter sounding than the HM5, but it rarely fatigues me. The HM5 and 8400 have more sub-bass.

I think the 8400 and K271 are more comfortable to wear than the HM5. Some people think the clamping force on the HM5 is too high, and I can't disagree with them.

The K271 benefits more from an amp then the HM5 and 8400. The HM5 doesn't really need an amp at all if you ask me.

I think the HM5 ear cups are too big for me, I have really small ears.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #326 of 456
The KRK's are quite sensitive, if the recording is mastered bad, especially excess in the treble region can be really awful with the KRK. The Fiio amps work really nice with KRK. The E10 is quite neutral and works well the KRK, also that bass boost button adds a nice kick when you really want to jam out. The bass with these is always controversial, it will not bump like my Denon's or HE-500 but it extends just as deep without the feeling of rumbling driver. Although this makes it really easy to track the basslines. Chances are that you probably won't like the KRK's...at first. I promised myself to not sell them or return them during my first month with them. After 4 months, I've finally grown to like it. Having a Fiio is a really good idea with these, just hit the bass boost for fun time. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #327 of 456
Would you recommend the KRK as an entry level headphone for someone looking for a balanced sound with good clarity though? I'm rather troublesome because despite a balanced sound, I kind of want a good punch from the bass, but not enough so that it's considered basshead bass. Just so it sounds kind of fun.

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #328 of 456
Another quick question,
How is the bass when listening to songs like 'More Than A Feeling' and 'Drift Away' ?
Also, how do these compare to the Creative Aurvana Lives? I'm trying to decide between the two.

I'm think I'm going to bite the bullet and order the KRK 8400 from Amazon for $113. Hopefully it's not too terrible with my playlist in terms of treble. I just hope Amazon's return policy isn't too bad but crossing my fingers that these work out. I don't want to spend so much on headphones only to have it sent back.

Aug 18, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #329 of 456
CAL leaks more....it doesnt block out outsdie noise tat well..but it has a fuller sound.
KNS8400 is sort of thinner sounding, the trebles are accentuated, not so forgiving..
the bass has a slight rumble to it...not massive ..quite enjoyable can.

if u wan something more "balance"...musically more weight..check out the philips citiscape Uptown.
It is also more forgiving, v entrancing vocals. also v comfy.. v light on the head..good isolation too.

============

Aug 18, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #330 of 456
Quote:
Would you recommend the KRK as an entry level headphone for someone looking for a balanced sound with good clarity though? I'm rather troublesome because despite a balanced sound, I kind of want a good punch from the bass, but not enough so that it's considered basshead bass. Just so it sounds kind of fun.

Yes, yes and yes.  The 8400s have all of that.  Not bassheady bass, but certainly not lacking.  Drums sound very good; very realistic, you might say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back