The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 7, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #2,866 of 8,352
Researching the bass lens and came across this
http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/4575#post_7873421

Funny how this is exactly what I was doing in theory
Edit: the S500s respond well to this technique

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #2,868 of 8,352
ath pad came in today. I'll see if these truly make a difference when I get home.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #2,869 of 8,352
Okay, so I don't quite know how I'm feeling about the ATH pads as of yet. It does open the sound significantly of the S500, but it also reduces the bass by quite a bit. I won't say they're a wash yet, but the S500 goes through a drastic change without the stock pads.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #2,870 of 8,352
Quote:
Doc suggests I ask my questions in this thread. I'm currently choosing between S400/500, DT 235 and PX 200 II. I'd like to be able to wear a pair for 3+ hours without the common heat, sweat and pain issues. Therefore, lightness and comfort are very important. Although I'm not an audiophile, I'd prefer decent SQ when listening to classical, house, pop and rock. What would be the best for me? At the moment, I'm swayed towards DT 235. I'd also be grateful for safe shopping (i.e. where to buy a genuine product) advice.

After owning them for just two days, I still can't wear the S500 for more than an hour or two before my ears hurt. They're my first on-ear headphones, so I'm hoping I'll get used to them.

I have no experience with the others.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #2,871 of 8,352
Quote:
Okay, so I don't quite know how I'm feeling about the ATH pads as of yet. It does open the sound significantly of the S500, but it also reduces the bass by quite a bit. I won't say they're a wash yet, but the S500 goes through a drastic change without the stock pads.

Ya pretty amazing ain't it?.. Hmm I would suggest you listen to some vocal jazz...I suppose you have to get used to a different sound. I think it sounds a bit like the headphone version of the FXD70.. I like it.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #2,872 of 8,352
Well, just bought the AKG pads!

EDIT: What's the comfort on these?

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #2,873 of 8,352
Quote:

After owning them for just two days, I still can't wear the S500 for more than an hour or two before my ears hurt. They're my first on-ear headphones, so I'm hoping I'll get used to them.

I have no experience with the others.

Stock pads? If so, the ATH pleathers are more comfortable (and IMO, sounds really awesome).

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #2,874 of 8,352
Quote:
Stock pads? If so, the ATH pleathers are more comfortable (and IMO, sounds really awesome).

The stock pads did hurt my ears too. The ATH pads are quite comfortable. No more on the ear. It's over the ear now.

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #2,875 of 8,352
which pads would you guys recommend for me
theres the ATH-SJ5 DJ pleather, AKG K518DJ, ATH-ESW9, or HD25 Pleather pads

edit: perferably around ear
and my second need would be that it maintains the level of bass and extension (i listen to more pop/ house)

seems like the ath pleather and hd25 pads are more mid oriented, esw9 pads have more bass impact?

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #2,876 of 8,352
Quote:
Anyone know how these headphones, with ath pleathers, would fare with alternative style music for example red hot chili peppers? And maybe genres like Linkin Park (punk) too?

These headphones are perfect for alternative music. The Red Hot Chili Peppers sound great to me. I'm mainly a metal guy, but alternative sounds WAY better than metal in these so far. I assume that's because they aren't fully burnt in yet, I feel as if metal is the last thing to sound great during the burn in process. Linkin Park sounds insane! I was listening to In the End and I can't believe how good it sounds.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #2,877 of 8,352
Quote:
Anyone know how these headphones, with ath pleathers, would fare with alternative style music for example red hot chili peppers? And maybe genres like Linkin Park (punk) too?

Yes, these phones are "fun" and they handle fun music very well.  That being said, mainstream music (no offense, i find it catchy too), rap/hip-hop, electronica, techno and the like just shine on the S500.  Im currently jamming out to Rustie and Lupe Fiasco pretty regularly.  

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #2,878 of 8,352
I don't think I've fully burnt these in, but I find them pretty disappointing for rock music so far. Electronic stuff is amazing, but I find that there's so much vocal and guitar stuff that I can no longer hear that I used to hear on a pair of Sennheiser HD205 headphones, which weren't exactly great headphones by any stretch of the imagination. I feel like I'm missing some meaty mids with these phones, even though othes say they aren't recessed.

I'm also personally finding the treble too much for me and I'm hoping they'll tame with continued burn-in. It's not quite sibilance, but just harsh to me. I am quite sensitive to treble, though, so i dont think it's a problem for everyone. That said, the treble is great for bringing out texture and detail and is especially good for watching movies. Same goes for the bass - phenomenal for movies and electronic.

And yes, I am using different pads. I actually tore the ones off of my HD205s for the sake of comfort. It decreased the bass a bit, which isn't really a problem for me and they opened up a bit more, too. And I can wear them forever now :).

I'd be interested in finding out what opening the backs of these would do for sound stage and whatnot, but I have a feeling the treble would be even more emphasized.

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #2,879 of 8,352
I'd be interested in finding out what opening the backs of these would do for sound stage and whatnot, but I have a feeling the treble would be even more emphasized.

Your ears sound like mine in terms of sensitivity to treble. Putting various velour pads on these as well as jury rigging the drivers into a cheap open heaphone resulted in PAIN.. You quickly loose your enthusiasm about the airy open sound when your ears start to bleed :)

Naw it isn't that bad but if you find them bright now, don't even try opening them up.

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #2,880 of 8,352
Quote:
Yes, these phones are "fun" and they handle fun music very well.  That being said, mainstream music (no offense, i find it catchy too), rap/hip-hop, electronica, techno and the like just shine on the S500.  Im currently jamming out to Rustie and Lupe Fiasco pretty regularly.  

Oh yeah, there needs to be more lupe listeners. LoL

beerchug.gif

edit: hey doc sounds like you need to sell yours to me then.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back