The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Apr 18, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #5,881 of 8,352
Quote:

@7s
What are they? If you mean S500, then I'm just gonna say that people hear and perceive things differently. For instance, I know lots of people swear that HE-400 doesn't have recessed mid, but to my ears, they do, uncomfortably so.

I'm just trying to learn as much as I can because these were the first headphones that got me into the audiophile world. For me the vocals sound VERY forward, I've never heard vocals stick out this much with any other pair. I was just asking if it's possible for the vocals to be forward while the mids are recessed. I do notice that guitars don't sound all that exciting.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #5,883 of 8,352
Do they have a V-shaped signature? How do they make the vocals sound so throaty, full, and intimate? I thought that was the mids.

They don't. I'm deciding I'm sort of a mid-dark-lush-laid back kind of guy and I'm fine with the modded S500 I have. For my taste, they run towards neutral, but certainly not V.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #5,885 of 8,352
LOL I see there is a new troll on the block. Praising the s500 is not only because this is a s500 appreciation thread but because how they perform. Whenever you get into a thread and start comparing a headphone to one that costs a bunch of times more you're just trolling. When I praise the s500 I never even refer to the fact that it cost 37 bucks but at this price and even at the ebay prices it's hard to find a competition for it. All the quoted headphones don't sound even 50% better let alone 10 times better. And V-shaped - please. It is very slightly laid-back and that's coming from a guy who likes mid-forward sound and hates V-shaped presentation. As far as better headphones than it - yes, of course, there are a lot but are not even close to its price. You won't see me going in iem threads and trolling that this or that $300+ iem sounds better than that 2-200 bucks iem. You just have to have realistic expectations. As far as the bass goes - it's very nicely textured and with a very good speed and with an amp you can push it even further adding control, thickness and fuller body. You may not like the s500's presentation but that doesn't make it less good on technical level.

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #5,891 of 8,352
I still like stock pads the best. I don't have to tape vents, which affects negatively the bass texture and also the depth of the soundstage.

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #5,895 of 8,352
I'm just trying to learn as much as I can because these were the first headphones that got me into the audiophile world. For me the vocals sound VERY forward, I've never heard vocals stick out this much with any other pair. I was just asking if it's possible for the vocals to be forward while the mids are recessed. I do notice that guitars don't sound all that exciting.

You described perfectly.
The mids is a huge area.
The lower mids are rich intimate and satisfying .
Same intimacy on the s400 that made it easier for me to let go my esw9.
This is a unique quality that for me sets the s500 above the popular three (m80, dt1350, sen25)
Bottom line it is about musicality and enjoyment :)

as far as i read here, it seems, that the bass of the es700 will be weaker than that of the s500.

Stock against stock = s500
S500 Mod (ws55pads) against es700 mod = es700
At least my mod ha

If only the cans could get better with post counts then I would. :)
Anyway, it is not my intent to cause such a ruckus here (though it was inevitable I guess, you just can't possibly have any negative posts on an appreciation thread no?).

Haha you have to own an s500 first. ..
just kidding!

Another point is practicality.
What can do you like for portable use?
I think maybe s500 beats it :p

LOL I see there is a new troll on the block. Praising the s500 is not only because this is a s500 appreciation thread but because how they perform. Whenever you get into a thread and start comparing a headphone to one that costs a bunch of times more you're just trolling. When I praise the s500 I never even refer to the fact that it cost 37 bucks but at this price and even at the ebay prices it's hard to find a competition for it. All the quoted headphones don't sound even 50% better let alone 10 times better. And V-shaped - please. It is very slightly laid-back and that's coming from a guy who likes mid-forward sound and hates V-shaped presentation. As far as better headphones than it - yes, of course, there are a lot but are not even close to its price. You won't see me going in iem threads and trolling that this or that $300+ iem sounds better than that 2-200 bucks iem. You just have to have realistic expectations. As far as the bass goes - it's very nicely textured and with a very good speed and with an amp you can push it even further adding control, thickness and fuller body. You may not like the s500's presentation but that doesn't make it less good on technical level.
Wow you dish it hard lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back