The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Apr 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #5,913 of 8,352
Hook me up dude! I want those pads.

Aren't you in the US mate?

I don't see how I could hook you up, unless of course I order them and then ship them to you myself lol

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #5,914 of 8,352
Quote:

I don't see how I could hook you up, unless of course I order them and then ship them to you myself lol

Yeah, I am in the US... I want these pads, but I don't wanna spend $34 for them.

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #5,915 of 8,352
Quote:
Only 1 1/2 years ago I was living on cheap £15 earphones straight from apple or skullcandy that would need replacing every 3 weeks.

I hear you brother. Same with me a year ago. Then I met head-fi. Then I got a taste of good sounding headphones (ksc75's). And then I ran into dsnuts. It's been all uphill since then! Oh, and sorry for your wallet :)
beerchug.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #5,916 of 8,352
Quote:

Yeah, I am in the US... I want these pads, but I don't wanna spend $34 for them.
They are $47 for me to getthem here in Canada... So $34 isn't too bad. :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #5,917 of 8,352
I hear you brother. Same with me a year ago. Then I met head-fi. Then I got a taste of good sounding headphones (ksc75's). And then I ran into dsnuts. It's been all uphill since then! Oh, and sorry for your wallet :)
:beerchug:

Money wise, probably not as bad a decision as the one I made to start collecting vinyl :$

Does anyone here listen to post rock or ambient? How are these with stuff like that if the soundstage is small?

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #5,918 of 8,352
Just realised my fxt 90s aren't broken like I thought they were for several weeks, one of the earbuds had just gotten a little lodged and was distorting the volume on one side. Feel like a massive idiot.

Not gonna cancel my order for these though. I can have both a set of IEMs and portable headphones together from JVC. Doubt the SQ will be much better on these though

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #5,919 of 8,352
Apr 18, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #5,920 of 8,352
Quote:
Finished my re-cable. And i said I would post the results but I got to thinking. From the last time I listened to the time i finished I don't think it is a fair test to go saying it sounds better because I don't believe anyone has that good of hearing memory over a few hours time with a subtle change like a recable. Anyway I feel like there is improvement but why wouldn't I after I went through all the trouble. All I CAN say is the cable I posted yesterday made of the same materials which I CAN do an A/B test is certainly noticable.

That being said. Instead I thought I would share some of the pics from the recable process:

Braided 4 strands of 24awg silver plated OFC. Then used a drilled die as a Y. Twisted the 2 conductors to each cup. Used braided jackets.

Driver removed.

Shows how thin the stock wire is to the replacement.

Had to melt the hole to make it a bit bigger to fit the jacket with the 2 conductors.

Buttoned up.

Pads back on.

Done deal.

Was really a lot of fun. Coulda been nicer I think but good for a first go. I recommend to anyone who has any interest and is a cabling noob (like myself) to do it as a project because they are easy to take apart and the soldering pads on the drivers are real easy to access and nice and big. And if you mess it up...... at least they are 70 dollars and not 350 dollar or more cans.

What type of soldering did you use for that project?

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #5,921 of 8,352
Apr 18, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #5,922 of 8,352
If both are stock, then this statement is true imo.
after swapping pads, not at all.

Have to agree.
S500 are better at everything with pad swap.
The lower treble area seems a slight dip.
While the lower mids are slightly pronounced but on level with bass.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #5,923 of 8,352
Quote:
Money wise, probably not as bad a decision as the one I made to start collecting vinyl :$

Does anyone here listen to post rock or ambient? How are these with stuff like that if the soundstage is small?

Ambient like Sigur Ros and Post Rock like Deftones? They go great, don't sweat it. Just that you'll hear the music mostly inside your head rather than in an expansive room/concert area.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #5,924 of 8,352
Quote:
If both are stock, then this statement is true imo.
after swapping pads, not at all.

Quote:
Have to agree.
S500 are better at everything with pad swap.
The lower treble area seems a slight dip.
While the lower mids are slightly pronounced but on level with bass.

Alright, sounds good. I guess I'll give it some more thought but I'll probably end up with a pair of S500s at some point.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #5,925 of 8,352

That's not too bad mate.

You could always wait for them to come back into stock at the US ATH service.

I looked at those too.

Pretty sure they are made to fit and are not ATH original pads.

Hey geko, do you have it? Can you post some pics with S500 inside? Thanks

Haha nope I don't have it. Was just trying to make a point of keeping your S500 safe and sound. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back