The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 13, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #422 of 8,352
Okay the mids and out-of-head soundstage on the 262 is what makes it special but the s500 come so close its not funny anymore. Coincidence that Dsnuts was recommending the velour pads to increase comfort. Guess what? I opened up my drawer and found a brand new pair of hd 25 velour pads. Took me about 15min to put it on. What a pain in the ass! But but but, comfort just went up to a whole new level. Now i can safely say that i can forget wearing the s500's since they are THAT comfortable after putting on the velour pads. On to the sound. Oh boy these will give all other brands some serious competition. I don't know what or how JVC tuned these but i must say i have never heard a portable headphone this cheap that spanks the rest of the competition. Imho the sound is worth at least $150-200 or maybe more after burn in. I'm not hyping these by the way... These are just really good enough to brag about. The audio technica es88 is the only headphone able to beat the s500 in soundstage and smoothness but just by a bit. I may have to do some more serious listening to further decide which is really better. I mean $200 vs $60? You kidding me? Will report back if there are any sound changes tomorrow after more listening. Rest assured, these blow off a lot of competition and is definitely the king of $150 and below price range. By the way i dont hear any sonic changes when switching between stock and velour but the latter is definitely more comfortable. I remember the last time i was this excited in giving out impressions was when i got the ultrasone pro 2900 last year. Good job JVC. Back to Listening.

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #423 of 8,352
My Amazon order now says shipped, so hopefully they're going out for everyone that ordered. Of course, that means that I'll probably get it and my Ebay order a few days apart. I must say, this is not the first time head-fi has talked me into ordering headphones, but it's the first time it's got me to order two sets!

Good job Dsnuts...
tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #424 of 8,352
Quote:
I have transferred the S500 driver into the Creative Aurvana Live! headphone body.

It was a crude job, taking the foster drivers out of the CAL! was very easy. The S500 was horrible though. They really glued it down tight.

2 hours later with blood shed, success.

So - you both survived, I mean you personally and the drivers of HA-S 500 ?  Congrats for courage !

How does the new creation sound? I do not have or plan to get CALs, but might be interesting to others.

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #425 of 8,352
Quote:
My Amazon order now says shipped, so hopefully they're going out for everyone that ordered. Of course, that means that I'll probably get it and my Ebay order a few days apart. I must say, this is not the first time head-fi has talked me into ordering headphones, but it's the first time it's got me to order two sets!

Good job Dsnuts...
tongue.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO shipped as well!!!

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #427 of 8,352
Mine has shipped as well.

Apparently arriving between wednesday and friday this week. Surprising, considering it's coming from Japan!
best $5 i've ever spent, i normally don't pony up for expedited shipping.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #428 of 8,352
Just got mine in from my eBay order last week.

Out of the box impressions running my MBA -> DragonFly -> S500 is they are certainly quite competent headphones.  

Keeping in mind I've been running GR07 MK IIs for the past few days, they have a bit more mid-bass than sub-bass but the bass extends low trying a sweep test, certainly register without too much drop down to 20 hz.  The GR07 excels in a bit in control/texture in the lower region, but these have a bit more impact and overall amount feels similar, not what I'd call basshead cans but neutral relative the mids, quite nice and how I like it.  They're coming off a bit hot in the upper mids/treble, hopefully that will go away will burn-in.  Certainly impressively detailed/tight/fast.  Quite an intimate sound.  I find them comfortable, light, easy to stow, etc.  Definitely a great purchase for the price, and they produce a type of sound that seems similar in my mind to what I've read about the HD 25 iis, which I'm looking forward to seeing comparisons against.

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #429 of 8,352
My JVC HA-S500s just arrived from Japan.  Hooked them up to McCormack Micro Headphone Drive with upgraded power supply modified by
Steve McCormack to begin long burn in process.  At Jsnuts suggestion i snuck a peek at the sound and....
WOW right out of the box, bam boom, zoom....

i could only  turn up the gain about 1/3 before thundering bass made me back down.  not uncomfortable either, quality shines through...
im very excited and pleased so far, and the box has only been open five minutes...
im stoked and now will let them burn in for 80 hours or more on a variety of EDM, blues, HBR1 from Germany and other stuff.
stay tuned...and thanks to everyone on this threat for their encouragement, listening time and audio observations...

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #430 of 8,352
Hey happy listening fellas. Yes I do recommend a solid burn in..100-150hours. All carbon nanotubes require it. Beat them drivers until they submit!

So yes the sounds actually get better..I was very impressed on open box but you guys should hear what my pair sounds like now. lol! Burn em danno!

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #431 of 8,352
Mine have shipped....too recently for tracking data to show up though...lol. The estimated delivery is still Sept.10 - Oct.1 ...hopefully by tomorrow I'll have tracking data to go by.

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #432 of 8,352
Quote:
Hey happy listening fellas. Yes I do recommend a solid burn in..100-150hours. All carbon nanotubes require it. Beat them drivers until they submit!

So yes the sounds actually get better..I was very impressed on open box but you guys should hear what my pair sounds like now. lol! Burn em danno!

Due to the nature of the material (quite durable I imagine), did you burn them in at a volume much higher than listening?

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #434 of 8,352
Good news everybody! 

I just recieved my ha-s500!!! That's not all, this professor wants to congratulate everyone's shipped orders! /end personality of professor farnsworth

Seriously though, you guys just grabbed a great deal of a lifetime! I'm glad you guys got it shipped, I was going to ask you guys if it even shipped yet, but now that people will get it in 3-4 days, that is impressive. I hope this thread gets loads of impressions, I'm going to give my own in an hour or two, then let it burn-in for 100 hours or so like dsnuts said. Despite this, I will already post the pictures.

from amazon.co.jp to tenso.com to america. So you can trust tenso. It took a week, and I am impressed. I did scheduled delivery for two days to tenso, then they shipped as soon as possible, then it arrived today. Ordered it on sunday night. 

A bit of a mixed bag considering the packaging, but it is in good condition!

The headphones!

Unfolded

Folded. I can't wait to use them!

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #435 of 8,352
Congratulations to everyone who has received their headphones (or it's on the way). You are in for a treat! I'm still blown away by the sound. Between those headphones and the FXD80 (and FXD70 to  a little lesser of an extent) my ears are quite happy! I have the FXD80 in my ears now, but the S500 will get it's time soon. I actually love falling to sleep with the S500 on my ears (first time for a headphone). Happy listening! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back