The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 13, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #436 of 8,352
Quote:

Due to the nature of the material (quite durable I imagine), did you burn them in at a volume much higher than listening?

80%-85% of Max volume. Yes. I would never listen to my headphones and earphones this loud. It is not max volume but it is audible easily off the head. I had to cover it with a blanket for the overnight burn in as it was too loud. lol! My unwritten rule about music burn in. First have them on your head crank up to what you would consider fairly loud. Take them off the head and turn up half a notch. So if it was 70% volume turn it up to 75%. That should do it. And just let burn in take place.

For these carbon nanotubes I went a full notch over loud for me which was 70%  to 80% volume..Not full blast yet fairly close.

It was around 40-50 hours when I noticed a tighter sound. @100 hours is an acceptable amount but I am going for 200 hours.

Oh and as a heads up. Watch what you write for impressions as it will be immortalized on a link on the first page.

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #437 of 8,352
Quote:
So - you both survived, I mean you personally and the drivers of HA-S 500 ?  Congrats for courage !

How does the new creation sound? I do not have or plan to get CALs, but might be interesting to others.

I have two pair HA-S500 comng this week from the Amazon $23 deal.... have a pair of Shure SRH240's that I am going to try to install the drivers into, with a DHC cable upgrade as well.  I have the cable already, just need to braid if I see that the driver transplant will work.  The SRH240's have 40mm drivers, and will upgrade to SRH840 cushy ear pads that fit around ear instead of on ear.  The SRH940 velours would also fit the SRH240.  Would be interesting if it works, around ear instead of on ear....won't know until I get both the HA-S500's and the SRH240 that I purchased from Best Buy for $30.

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #438 of 8,352
Burn in will give me a reason to use my  Fuze+ which normally only collects dust....lol

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #439 of 8,352
Quote:

Oh and as a heads up. Watch what you write for impressions as it will be immortalized on a link on the first page.

Sorry about that - I'd probably hold off on doing that.  After an hour with music blasting quite loud (a few notches above what I consider loud but tolerable) the whole frequency spectrum has shifted dramatically to where the top end has mellowed and they've become quite thick down low... now I would consider them borderline basshead cans lol.  I'm generally not a believer in long burn-in times but these guys are moving all over the place I'll hold off for a week or so before saying more.  Cheers.  

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #440 of 8,352
Quote:

I have two pair HA-S500 comng this week from the Amazon $23 deal.... have a pair of Shure SRH240's that I am going to try to install the drivers into, with a DHC cable upgrade as well.  I have the cable already, just need to braid if I see that the driver transplant will work.  The SRH240's have 40mm drivers, and will upgrade to SRH840 cushy ear pads that fit around ear instead of on ear.  The SRH940 velours would also fit the SRH240.  Would be interesting if it works, around ear instead of on ear....won't know until I get both the HA-S500's and the SRH240 that I purchased from Best Buy for $30.

This is an awesome idea. Let us know how it works. I might have to try a transplant myself.

I like the Cyloh's Cal transplant too. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #441 of 8,352
Quote:

Sorry about that - I'd probably hold off on doing that.  After an hour with music blasting quite loud (a few notches above what I consider loud but tolerable) the whole frequency spectrum has shifted dramatically to where the top end has mellowed and they've become quite thick down low... now I would consider them borderline basshead cans lol.  I'm generally not a believer in long burn-in times but these guys are moving all over the place I'll hold off for a week or so before saying more.  Cheers.  

My Ultrasone HFI-780 was a bit like this on burn too. I didn't notice too much sound shifting but the good news is the sound tightens up. Looking forward to everyone's take on these..

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #442 of 8,352
Quote:

Great! That around the ear SRH840 earpads sound the nicest of all - just keep us posted. Enjoy your music !

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #443 of 8,352
Quote:

I think you are going to really like the S500 cute.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #444 of 8,352
Quote:
Just got mine in from my eBay order last week.

Out of the box impressions running my MBA -> DragonFly -> S500 is they are certainly quite competent headphones.  

Keeping in mind I've been running GR07 MK IIs for the past few days, they have a bit more mid-bass than sub-bass but the bass extends low trying a sweep test, certainly register without too much drop down to 20 hz.  The GR07 excels in a bit in control/texture in the lower region, but these have a bit more impact and overall amount feels similar, not what I'd call basshead cans but neutral relative the mids, quite nice and how I like it.  They're coming off a bit hot in the upper mids/treble, hopefully that will go away will burn-in.  Certainly impressively detailed/tight/fast.  Quite an intimate sound.  I find them comfortable, light, easy to stow, etc.  Definitely a great purchase for the price, and they produce a type of sound that seems similar in my mind to what I've read about the HD 25 iis, which I'm looking forward to seeing comparisons against.

Although I have never heard GR07, either MKI or MKII, it keeps popping up all over the place with more stamina than weeds - in positive sense of course. As both GR07 and HA-S500 require long burn in periods to settle down to their final signature, this is a question I would like you to answer after you have at least 150 hours on either. One drawback sometimes mentioned for GR07 is that it is not the most dynamic sounding. How does HA-S500 compare in dynamics, particularly in softest ppp parts to the GR07 - as well as say Iron Maiden (or similar) in full cry ?

I have seen your post regarding changing nature of HA-S500 within first hours. I am familiar with this chore from phono cartridges - they also need burn in and one must be very careful not to burn them in under imperfect conditions. Still sonically it means roughly the same, I no longer listen in the first hours as it usually is, in your own words, all over the place. Sometimes character of a phono cartridge during break in changes apreciably within a single side of a LP (20 min approx) and that is just too great fatigue mentally - specially when that "vinyl grinder" costs silly money.

Just give your HA-S500 time required - but check every now and then during burn in. Audio gear is much like cars - if you burn it right, it will give you great performance afterwards for long(er) time. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #445 of 8,352
Quote:

I think you are going to really like the S500 cute.

+1. 

The sounds are incredible for the price. Just like the ckm500s! however, just like the ckm500s to me, it is a bit of getting used to. Mids are definately forward, but not too much thank goodness. Highs are good, not sparkly, but not dull either. To be honest, everything sounds like it should in the real life, compared to the a900x which makes it sound as if it is unnatural. The bass is a bit bloaty though, I can't really "feel" the strings yet. As in I can tell it is being used by a string such as in rock. Though the soundstage is small, it is definitely great to hear!  I feel as this headphone has a similar 3d soundstage as the a900x. This is just open box, 20 minutes of beatles. I will then switch to floyd, satisfaction. Then I will listen to some pop I have in my pc. This is from the sony player.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #447 of 8,352
Btw dsnuts, even players like sony's walkman z can't damage the carbons no matter how high the volume is? I am thinking of letting my library of songs burn-in near 90 percent.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #448 of 8,352
Quote:
+1. 

The sounds are incredible for the price. Just like the ckm500s! however, just like the ckm500s to me, it is a bit of getting used to. Mids are definately forward, but not too much thank goodness. Highs are good, not sparkly, but not dull either. To be honest, everything sounds like it should in the real life, compared to the a900x which makes it sound as if it is unnatural. The bass is a bit bloaty though, I can't really "feel" the strings yet. As in I can tell it is being used by a string such as in rock. Though the soundstage is small, it is definitely great to hear!  I feel as this headphone has a similar 3d soundstage as the a900x. This is just open box, 20 minutes of beatles. I will then switch to floyd, satisfaction. Then I will listen to some pop I have in my pc. This is from the sony player.

I remember the bass end being a bit loose on open box on mine too..Work them drivers out. It is all about the fitness level. Your used to your sound stage on the A900 which is fairly wide so understandable on the stage perception. I think the M50 and the AKG 518 LE has a smaller stage actually.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #449 of 8,352
Quote:
 One drawback sometimes mentioned for GR07 is that it is not the most dynamic sounding. How does HA-S500 compare in dynamics, particularly in softest ppp parts to the GR07 - as well as say Iron Maiden (or similar) in full cry ?

I have about 20 hours on the GR07 and I swear they haven't changed much past the first couple hours.  They're impressive phones technically, but the S500 is definitely a more fun sound at this early stage.  I can't really put my finger on why that is though, but they're more bass-heavy and overall feel more energetic - again at this early stage, listening to them now with about 3 hours.  I do like them quite a bit, I certainly could see paying $200+ for this sound.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #450 of 8,352
Quote:
I have transferred the S500 driver into the Creative Aurvana Live! headphone body.

It was a crude job, taking the foster drivers out of the CAL! was very easy. The S500 was horrible though. They really glued it down tight.

2 hours later with blood shed, success.

Did you separate the driver from the glued back?  I was thinking of using a heated exacto knife to do this!  Any more comments on the process?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back