The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 29, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #3,377 of 8,352
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

Fwiw, I reformatted the 32G card to FAT32 using 64k file allocation. Sadly in rockbox mode it still hangs on me. So, I've been listening to my S500's on my clip zip in sansa mode... which really hasn't been much of a problem considering how friggin' great the S500 (and the FX40's with memory foam tips) sound. I am quite surprised that I don't feel the need to EQ them. Anyway, I'll keep my eye out for solutions to getting rockbox working for me.

Sorry. Maybe it just doesn't like your card. Have you googled to see if people are having problems with the Lexar card and Clip? 

You might be onto something...

I snagged another 32G micro SD card on Black Friday from amazon.ca for $24. This one was of the Sandisk variety. I formatted it to FAT32 using 64k allocation, copied my tunes over to it, and stuck it in my clip zip. I thought that I was going to have to re-install rockbox, but when I sparked up the clip, rockbox was still there (so I guess it is installed in the built in storage). Anyway, the good news is that I have played it for 20 hours or more and the hanging/drooling problem is gone! Very cool. Also, I was able to stick the Lexar card back into my phone and it works fine there. So all is good :D

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #3,378 of 8,352
Yep that's the gist of it. Electronic music usually have minimal soundstage and vocals or human in it with natural sounds. They sound artificial and man-made, and these S500 has very small soundstage with a slightly V shaped signature with a fun sound so they are a good mixture. Live music is a little no-no for me with these cans, naturally because of the soundstage, they make the singers sound too forward.

Imaging is quite good IMHO, should be okay with those types of music. Anybody who want to correct me just help yourselves.

Ah ok. I guess the nanotubes contribute to it being a fast and fun headphone.

Personally, I've liked these for almost every band that I listen to. Bands that I thought had terrible mixing before actually seem to work in the S500s.

Hm... will have to try this out when my S500s get here...

---

Also, was wondering if anyone has these Pioneers to compare:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271010221437?_trkparms=clkid%3D3798805379847779242&_qi=RTM1277621

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #3,379 of 8,352
Nice to see new S500 owners having fun with their Cheapo JVC's
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #3,380 of 8,352
Quote:
Ah ok. I guess the nanotubes contribute to it being a fast and fun headphone.
Hm... will have to try this out when my S500s get here...
---
Also, was wondering if anyone has these Pioneers to compare:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271010221437?_trkparms=clkid%3D3798805379847779242&_qi=RTM1277621

I have those Pioneers which I got for $10 on sale.  The sound is not good.  Not bad either and usable but it's just not quite clear sounding and favours the bass and lower ranges.  You can't compare the sound of the JVC to these Pioneers.  the S500 is far superior.

I will tell you that these are really comfortable though.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #3,381 of 8,352
After 3 months of usage (or so) the clamping force has loosened, and I would wish they still clamp tighter. Comfort goes high naturally, but in loud environments and in buses and trains they don't isolate as much.

Got the chance to test out the Fischer Audio FA 003 today, was quite blown away from their isolation. Also the pads are uber comfortable. I would highly recommend anyone who want to get the Brainwavz HM5 pads for padmods. They really are very very comfortable.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #3,383 of 8,352
Quote:
which dac they recommend below U$ 150.00? that is better than my asus xonar dx :)

At $20-30, possibly the Behringer UCA-202 or UCA-222.

At ~$150, the ODAC or HRT Music Streamer II.

Unless the Behringer's price is too good to pass up, I can recommend the ODAC. The designer of the ODAC said good things about the HRT MS-II; I don't have one of those.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #3,384 of 8,352
Quote:

Unless the Behringer's price is too good to pass up, I can recommend the ODAC. The designer of the ODAC said good things about the HRT MS-II; I don't have one of those.

behringer this can be better than the asus xonar dx?
Thanks for the trouble

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #3,385 of 8,352
Quote:
Quote:

behringer this can be better than the asus xonar dx?
Thanks for the trouble

It's not impossible to believe the Xonar outperforms the Behringers, but I'm not familiar with it. If you want a comparison, you might peruse the amplifier forums here.

The ODAC/O2's designer had good things to say about the Behringer UCA-202 plus a number of other products whose prices are well beyond $150. I have the '222, a '202 with a red case and some free software which didn't interest me in the least. You can find a review of the UCA-202 on his Blog. You'll have to search for it because the Head-Fi rules (and Currawong) were and are explicit: No linking to them.

I'm pleased with the sound from my UCA-222. I don't like the tiny, light case one bit. It's designed for professionals, and I found it too easy to overload the output of the FiiO E5 ($20) when they were connected together. So, I lowered the PC's volume to cure the problem. I got more than my money's worth of DAC, particularly when compared with the random collections of parts and fruity, fanciful claims from some other vendors.

Eventually, I'll replace with with an ODAC (or ODA, if it ever appears) but I'm in no hurry.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #3,386 of 8,352
I can vouch for the Behringer UCA-202/222 as well.

I've have the UCA-222 for about 3 years now and it's never gone wrong for me once.

Most reliable audio kit purchase I have made at that price, which 3 years ago was £21.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #3,387 of 8,352
Quote:

It's not impossible to believe the Xonar outperforms the Behringers, but I'm not familiar with it. If you want a comparison, you might peruse the amplifier forums here.

The ODAC/O2's designer had good things to say about the Behringer UCA-202 plus a number of other products whose prices are well beyond $150. I have the '222, a '202 with a red case and some free software which didn't interest me in the least. You can find a review of the UCA-202 on his Blog. You'll have to search for it because the Head-Fi rules (and Currawong) were and are explicit: No linking to them.

I'm pleased with the sound from my UCA-222. I don't like the tiny, light case one bit. It's designed for professionals, and I found it too easy to overload the output of the FiiO E5 ($20) when they were connected together. So, I lowered the PC's volume to cure the problem. I got more than my money's worth of DAC, particularly when compared with the random collections of parts and fruity, fanciful claims from some other vendors.

Eventually, I'll replace with with an ODAC (or ODA, if it ever appears) but I'm in no hurry.

ok ... I will give a more researched on the subject ..

thx !!

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #3,388 of 8,352
HM5 pads on both stock and a akg pads are giving me bad sibilance at louder volumes, which I want to listen to as I just went through a bad breakup :frowning2:

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #3,390 of 8,352
Doubt those pads will be any good.  Probably more comfortable than the stock ones, at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back