The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 27, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #3,346 of 8,352
Yes, this seems to be the case. I am pulling the trigger on white 770s today.

The problem of comfort and longeivity of 770s ( and any future model JVC will pack in the same cup/enclosure/design that first appeared as HA-M750 ) is interrelated. 

The linkages that allow for folding do not allow swiveling of the earcup - and if your skull bone structure does not fit the angles for HA-M759/HA-S770/etc exactly, you will expirience some sore point or sore line after wearing those for say more than half an hour. Depending on your skull form, it can be either the line in front of your ear or behind it. The steel headband is quite strong - perhaps you could try to bend/deform it a bit to adress this problem. 

As a consequence, plastic linkage pieces ( besides your skull ... ) are in such a case overstressed - and will fail eventually, as my HA-M750s did. Armed with this  hard learned knowledge, the incoming 770s will get steel band "custom bending" and plastic linkage reinforcement - prior to any listening.

Circumaural design of 750/770 should be much better than anything possible with HA-S500.

Things we do for sound ...lol !

for those wondering about the hs-770, check out their thread as one head fi member got one already

here is the initial description: Soundwise... interesting out of the box they don’t sound like the S500 at all. Less bass, less highs, good mids, and a more natural tone. Are these midcentric headphones? Too soon to tell, but it looks like it.

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #3,347 of 8,352
I just want to throw this out there: I was at Best Buy today and demoed a few headphones. I've heard people say the S500s are on par with $200 headphones. I listened to the ATH-A900Xs which were $300. Honestly, I'd rather have my S500s.

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #3,348 of 8,352
No, I do not have the HD25.
I have had the S500, now I want to buy the HD25, but if the HD25 has less bass than the S500 than I won't buy it.

After a few reviews I'm gonna pass on the HD25-1. 
go find yourself a Mac store and try the Amperions which are the newest flavor of the HD 25s. I too found the S500 to have better Sub Bassand better balance but the Amperions had more airyness and staging.

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #3,350 of 8,352
$40.26 shipped in the US for new ESW9 pads from AT USA. =o
Er, that can wait for now.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #3,352 of 8,352
Hey Guys, glad to see so many people loving these (as do I, they've become my go to work HPs).   One question I did have was how these are complemented by the V-Moda M-80s.  I pulled the trigger on a pair on Amazon today, but are they too similar (not asking which is "better" as that's really subjective, just wondering how the sound signatures compare and if I will notice any major difference between the two).  I can still cancel/return if its too much of a similar thing.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #3,353 of 8,352
Hey Guys, glad to see so many people loving these (as do I, they've become my go to work HPs).   One question I did have was how these are complemented by the V-Moda M-80s.  I pulled the trigger on a pair on Amazon today, but are they too similar (not asking which is "better" as that's really subjective, just wondering how the sound signatures compare and if I will notice any major difference between the two).  I can still cancel/return if its too much of a similar thing.

M80 is more polite and bassier with clearer treble and better soundstaging. S500 has clearer mids, more resolving, and more forward but a bit thinner in sound. S500 isolates a bit more as well, so they differ. It is up to you which you should keep.
Or keep both. :cool:

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #3,354 of 8,352
Quote:
We wish and JVC grants????

The first over ear nanotube headphone: JVC HA-S770B

http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=HA-S770-E&catid=100161

ha-s770e.jpg

Interesting. I have the HA-M750's and they look exactly like these.
I like the sound of the M750's. It's decent, but I can't wear them for long. Maybe an hour max? My ears start to hurt or get too sweaty.
Hopefully the S500's don't have this problem as that's going to suck.

Also, can someone comment on the sound isolation of the S500's. ie. if I go to the library/silent study and use the S500's will people hear my music?

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #3,355 of 8,352
Quote:
M80 is more polite and bassier with clearer treble and better soundstaging. S500 has clearer mids, more resolving, and more forward but a bit thinner in sound. S500 isolates a bit more as well, so they differ. It is up to you which you should keep.
Or keep both.
cool.gif

Interesting, I'm surprised to hear the bassier comment, the S500s seemed to have deep bass to me.  I think I'll end up keeping both since they do seem to have different strengths, which is of course half the fun in this hobby =)

Quote:
Interesting. I have the HA-M750's and they look exactly like these.
I like the sound of the M750's. It's decent, but I can't wear them for long. Maybe an hour max? My ears start to hurt or get too sweaty.
Hopefully the S500's don't have this problem as that's going to suck.

Also, can someone comment on the sound isolation of the S500's. ie. if I go to the library/silent study and use the S500's will people hear my music?

I work in an open office (read: cubes w/o walls and very little separation) and within reason (usually around 25-37% volume on my laptop) people more than a couple feet from me can't hear my music.  I think you should be fine!

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #3,356 of 8,352
Quote:

If you end up getting the M80s give us a comparison after you've burned them in! I'm curious to see how they compare 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #3,360 of 8,352
I think isolation really depends on how loud  you play your music and what pads you're using. With the HM5 pads, they wrap completely around my ears and seal things off quite nicely.

I'd definitely be interested in the S770 if it's mid-centric, but they're so... ugly and cheap-looking compared to the S500. I know the S500 is plastic, but they feel solid. Those S770s have that gross shiny plastic look about them. Not going to be very successful pad-rolling with those rectangular cups either. Bah, if only JVC were to know how much we get out of these things by changing the pads  :).

Something I noticed recently since I got some Brainwavz R1s - does anyone else find that the S500's most upper treble sounds a little off on songs with "real" cymbals? I mainly listen to Alternative/Rock and I always thought the cymbals sounded kinda compressed, but didn't know for sure until the R1s showed me a better resolution of cymbals. I'm sure many people won't notice, but seeing as I jam with a drummer regularly, I'm very familiar with how these things sound IRL. I was just wondering if it's just me. 

I'd still be interested to know how Doc's going with the HM5 pads? I'm also finding them a bit, well, shrill. Like it enhances the v-shape. I was just wondering how various pad-on-pad mods might affect that and I don't have many pads to try. The HM5's make these stupendously comfy, like little pieces of heaven gently sitting on my ears. I just don't dig how much fullness seems to get taken out of the sound, like my dear mids are being sucked out again. 

Oh, and to the guy who's so very concerned about how these look on the head... I really think that you will NOT like them. They're not slim-fitting around the head at all, especially if you put on more comfortable, larger pads. If you're concerned about how you look in public with headphones, then I'd probably just consider IEMs. Most headphones will land up making you look dorky to some degree or the other, no matter how fashionably they were designed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back