The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 26, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #3,316 of 8,352
No offense to the guy who posted this pic, but do they seriously look like this? Why would JVC design such a terrible shape. Might as well put a satellite on your head and pretend you're a looney. 
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #3,317 of 8,352
Quote:
No offense to the guy who posted this pic, but they do seriously look like this? Why would JVC design such a terrible shape. Might as well put a satellite on your head and pretend you're a looney. 
tongue.gif

lol, no, they do not look like that

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #3,318 of 8,352
No offense to the guy who posted this pic, but they do seriously look like this? Why would JVC design such a terrible shape. Might as well put a satellite on your head and pretend you're a looney. :p

the pads on those ones loook like mods

check out dsnuts pictures

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #3,320 of 8,352
They are comfy for hours but I would advise getting some pads. The ATH pleathers are really comfy and give some isolation not a lot but better than velours. The velours are too open as you can hear everything. But that might be a good thing in the streets.  The ATH pleathters will give way more comfort over stock pads and even a better sound. I would advise the tape mod coverning the bass vents to bring back the bass to drown out some street sounds.  You could even try that HM5 over the ear mod which seems to be the easiest way to get these to a full sized sound. I got mine on order will give it a try.

I took the tape off the vents. I think I prefer the sound the way it was just using the ATH pleathers. It is too cool to cover up some vents for more bass however.  

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #3,323 of 8,352
Nov 26, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #3,324 of 8,352
Quote:
Just received my S500s! I'd say out of the box the sound is very good for a headphone of this price, but nothing amazing. I'm gonna give them 10 hours of burn in over-night and see what they sound like tomorrow. Anyone care to mention what I should expect? At the moment I find the highs are very sharp, mids are fine and bass is there but doesn't quite "sing". Hopefully after burn-in the highs will calm down and the bass will mature 
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. any ideas on what I should use to burn then in?

I'm sure this has been talked about in the thread before but I don't have the patience to look through it, thanks!

Ok after about 30 hours of burn in the headphones are much improved. The bass has really opened up and the highs are no longer fatiguing, mids seem to have stayed the same, which is very good. 

However I'd say where these headphones could do better is in instrument separation and detail, but it's still very good for a headphone of its price. I'd also say these headphones aren't very comfortable, but maybe that's just what you have to deal with with on ear headphones.

In conclusion: these headphones have the quality of a £100 pair of cans, but in reality are half the price. You will not be disappointed. 

I'm now at the stage where I want to mod these headphones to increase comfort, but not change the sound. What are some cushions that are the same size as the stock (I want to keep them on-ear) and don't change the sound quality (especially in the bass), but increase comfort?

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #3,326 of 8,352
Quote:
Ok after about 30 hours of burn in the headphones are much improved. The bass has really opened up and the highs are no longer fatiguing, mids seem to have stayed the same, which is very good. 

However I'd say where these headphones could do better is in instrument separation and detail, but it's still very good for a headphone of its price. I'd also say these headphones aren't very comfortable, but maybe that's just what you have to deal with with on ear headphones.

In conclusion: these headphones have the quality of a £100 pair of cans, but in reality are half the price. You will not be disappointed. 

I'm now at the stage where I want to mod these headphones to increase comfort, but not change the sound. What are some cushions that are the same size as the stock (I want to keep them on-ear) and don't change the sound quality (especially in the bass), but increase comfort?

Sadly no one has tried this pad-on-pad mod besides me, and I POSTED THIS BACK ON PAGE 53 of this thread. LoL This thing fits like a glove over the S500/ S400 stock pads. They go on sale on Amazon used/ like new for like $6 to $8s shipped. It is everything you are asking/ looking for on your previous post. I can literally wear my S500/ S400s all day long with almost zero discomfort even with glasses on. These cheapo pads on the Sound Storm Laboratories Headphones is it buddy cuz the long lips on them can wrap around the entire pad of these JVC portables with a snug fit.

And if you tape the ports of the S500 and stuff the stock pads with one ring of cotton ball as the inner layer and a ring of paper towel as the outer layer, make sure you don't block the driver opening (or you can just stuff then with all paper towel, which i found not as good sounding), these S500s are gonna sound blissfully bassy with the SS Lab headphone pads over them.  Better bass/ soundstage/ comfort and overall general sound presentation of these S500s/ S400s. So cheap and so easy yet so much improvement in sound straight out of my ipod/ nano on flat EQ setting, just crazy!  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015C3UB8/ref=ox_sfl_cart_mbc_s1?ie=UTF8&serverToken=Obidos

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #3,327 of 8,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]
I'd also say these headphones aren't very comfortable, but maybe that's just what you have to deal with with on ear headphones.

They made my ears very, very sore when I first got them. I gave them a little stretch and kept wearing them, for a few days or so, taking them off only when they became too uncomfortable. I can't say I recommend bending them, but they're no longer uncomfortable.

I've been comparing the S500 to with HD-650 (usually US$500) and DT 990 Premium (often ~US$350.) The S500 definitely comes in third place, in my opinion, but the difference isn't anything like "night and day." Tomorrow, the competition is Beyerdynamics' T70.

I'm not disappointed in the least especially at US$75 shipped.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #3,328 of 8,352
Thanks for the reply sfwalcer but that would make the headphones over-ear, i'd quite like to keep them on-ear so they stay very portable and don't look too silly :p

They made my ears very, very sore when I first got them. I gave them a little stretch and kept wearing them, for a few days or so, taking them off only when they became too uncomfortable. I can't say I recommend bending them, but they're no longer uncomfortable.

I'm finding the same thing at the moment, after about an hour or 2 my ears will be very sore. However I'll give them another week or so to loosen up and see whether I still have the same problem.

I'm still interested in getting some more comfy cushions though.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #3,329 of 8,352
I wanted a velour pad :frowning2:

I'm wrong, they're the perfect size: http://www.head-fi.org/t/347587/es7-and-esw9-ear-pads-interchangeable#post_4528073
You want 70mm earpads for S500.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #3,330 of 8,352
Quote:
Thanks for the reply sfwalcer but that would make the headphones over-ear, i'd quite like to keep them on-ear so they stay very portable and don't look too silly :p

That's the point of this SS Lab pad, it makes the headphones look even better with the small oval shaped pad over them. Unlike the big old pads others have been using of late, these actually look like it was made for the S500/ S400s, fit as well as look. Match made in heaven, no hype.

^ And this pic is with the bigger paper towel stuffed AKG pads, which it fits over as well. So imagine it wrapping over the entire stock pads of your S500s. Looks/ comfort/ same/ improved sound you are getting from your S500s for $6-$8??? No brainer, i need to stock up on these damn pads. Too bad they don't just sell them, have to buy more of these crappy SS Lab headphones just for the pads. LoL

^ Here is a pic with it wrapped over the stock pads of the S500s, looks even better/ matches in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back