The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 26, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #3,301 of 8,352
for the ones concerned about comfort, maybe look for the around ear version- jvc ha-s770
they're arund $20 more expensive and they fold inwards but not flat
seems like the same driver (not sure though)

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #3,302 of 8,352
So after being recommended these, I might as well ask a few questions about these headphones right? :)
I currently own a pair of HD205s, their common issues are the lack of bass and the lack of comfort. In fact, my ears will hurt after about 15-30 minutes of wearing them, which is annoying since I tend to wear them for 3-4 hours sometimes. People here have been talking about mediocre/bad comfort, would I be gaining on this? How bad is it? I'd prefer not to buy another set of headphones just to be facing ear-pain again.
The lack of a good bass some describe would also probably annoy me, but some seem to have modded their way out of this problem. How hard is this to do if I find it does have too little bass for me?
Do I buy the Z or the B? I'm assuming from the links posted here it is the Z I want.
Last, but not least, would there be any fakes on eBay? I saw a few $50 ones, which seem okay, but I don't want to end up with fakes (over cautious with eBay, sorry). I have tried searching, but couldn't find much. Sorry.

Hi Flozzo. I had a pair of 205 for a few months.

Comfort. The issue with the 205 is the headband/clamp force, its anoying and it hurts. The S500 is an on ear design so the pads are what some find uncomfortable, but you can change the pads and issue solved, even with stock pads its not so bad, its better than the 205, not the most comfortable but better, yes. Also with time its gets better, but with the 205 it was bad all time.

Sound. Not even close. The s500 is better by a large margin, in every aspect. Bass is bigger more refinded, subbass is almost non existent in the 205 compared with the 500, that has gobs of subbass. Overall the sound is bigger while the sound of the 205 is flat and thin and boring compares to the 500, soundstage is small on the 205 while the 500 has a more bigger 3d sound, the mids on the jvc are more unfront but the bass abd the highs are more present giving you the U shape but still with more mids. I am talking about how the s500 sounds with stock pads, with pleathers i can use the for hours without issues and even if you loose some bass the thepleather pads still there is more and better bass, with the added benefit that the sound gets wider and you can hear more details.

Imo, the 205 is a boring phone there is nothing that stands out and to make thing worst that clamp force is anoying. The s500 is a much more exciting and better sounding phone.

In ebay there is a saller called ace of bycle (?) and on amazon there a few like aoyama, madeinjapan.

If i could score them.

Comfort. Hd205: 5 points S500: 6.5 points stock pads. 7.5 pleather pads.
Sound: Hd205: 5points. S500: 8.5 points

Not even close.

Pd. My english s$cks, So, you know.....

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #3,303 of 8,352
Just trying again, is someone kind enough to post a pic of how they look from the front? Since I can't stand hp's that look like half  a circle on the head. I prefer it snug, tight along the head. Haha. Would be awesome. Totally blur out your face or do whatever, I just care about the shape of the hp!

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #3,304 of 8,352
I was about to pull the trigger on these, but the noontec zoro's are making me think twice... I'm afraid of the over-hype factor on these JVCs as I haven't seen a single bad review, which makes me think the current reviews might be somewhat skewed. Also the noontecs look to have nicer frequency response and square wave graphs compared to these on Tyll's page - but no review from him :frowning2:

In an ideal situation, I would get both, audition and return/sell the other one, but cash is too tight *sigh* - any insight head-fiers?

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #3,305 of 8,352
I was about to pull the trigger on these, but the noontec zoro's are making me think twice... I'm afraid of the over-hype factor on these JVCs as I haven't seen a single bad review, which makes me think the current reviews might be somewhat skewed. Also the noontecs look to have nicer frequency response and square wave graphs compared to these on Tyll's page - but no review from him :frowning2:

In an ideal situation, I would get both, audition and return/sell the other one, but cash is too tight *sigh* - any insight head-fiers?

Oh gawd.

You're really not thinking about buying that beats rip off over the JVCs are you?

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #3,306 of 8,352
I'm afraid of the over-hype factor on these JVCs as I haven't seen a single bad review, which makes me think the current reviews might be somewhat skewed.

The hype in this thread has been going on for a while, which pretty much indicates that it is valid. I think that most people would tell it like it is, and if they re-thought their opinions of the S500 and thought that they weren't so good after all, that they would voice those opinions. I certainly would, and at first with the stock pads and without much burn in, I was finding them to be fatiguing. But with the ath pleathers, and with plenty of burn in, I am a definite fan.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #3,307 of 8,352
At first they dont impress me so much, but now my s500's are well over 30 hours and they start to sound fantastic! Cant get them off my head all the day :)

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #3,308 of 8,352
Ok so I have something to share with ya'll.  I discovered this little DAC and you guys can see some more impressions on how this sounds with iems and other headphones on the discovery thread but I figured since it is that time of the year that we all look for great gifts or a good deal on stuff I can't think of a better deal than one of these.

This is the Ele dac I have been using and yes with the HA-S500. It sounds wonderful. This little dac came to me as a complete surprise. You figure a simple dac like this will not make much of a difference. Oh was I wrong. This little dac which can be bought on ebay for a mere $18. Sounds unbelievable using the HA-S500. Not only the HA-S500 but everything sound great on it.

You want to hear even more detail in your music. Try one of these. And as always happy listening.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #3,309 of 8,352
Is there any S500 owners here who also own the HD25-1?
I just need to know if the bass quantity on the HD25 is the same or more than the S500.

I'm thinking about buy it, but if it has less bass than the S500 I'll pass

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #3,310 of 8,352
... I'm afraid of the over-hype factor on these JVCs as I haven't seen a single bad review, which makes me think the current reviews might be somewhat skewed. Also the noontecs look to have nicer frequency response and square wave graphs compared to these on Tyll's page - but no review from him :frowning2:

The hype is quite real. :evil:
They definitely throw down with HD25, M80, and T50p. Isolation is pretty good, too, depending on which earpads you use.

Just trying again, is someone kind enough to post a pic of how they look from the front? Since I can't stand hp's that look like half  a circle on the head. I prefer it snug, tight along the head. Haha. Would be awesome. Totally blur out your face or do whatever, I just care about the shape of the hp!

Yes, it is a "semi-circle", not snug along the head like some other headphones. The headband sticks out along the sides quite a bit. You probably won't like it.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #3,311 of 8,352
Just got my AKG pads, I love 'em, sound great, and are a little more comfortable!

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #3,312 of 8,352

the jvcs have been reviewed numerous times so its not just hype anymore
pretty much the negatives ive seen are that they're on ear as opposed to around ear, and (not really a negative but) they can be modded to be better

from what ive read, the noontecs have a more linear frequency response, and the jvc are more fun sounding, without losing all of the good stuff (detail, soundstage...)
also the jvc are more portable (collapsible)

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #3,314 of 8,352
Hi Flozzo. I had a pair of 205 for a few months.
Comfort. The issue with the 205 is the headband/clamp force, its anoying and it hurts. The S500 is an on ear design so the pads are what some find uncomfortable, but you can change the pads and issue solved, even with stock pads its not so bad, its better than the 205, not the most comfortable but better, yes. Also with time its gets better, but with the 205 it was bad all time.
Sound. Not even close. The s500 is better by a large margin, in every aspect. Bass is bigger more refinded, subbass is almost non existent in the 205 compared with the 500, that has gobs of subbass. Overall the sound is bigger while the sound of the 205 is flat and thin and boring compares to the 500, soundstage is small on the 205 while the 500 has a more bigger 3d sound, the mids on the jvc are more unfront but the bass abd the highs are more present giving you the U shape but still with more mids. I am talking about how the s500 sounds with stock pads, with pleathers i can use the for hours without issues and even if you loose some bass the thepleather pads still there is more and better bass, with the added benefit that the sound gets wider and you can hear more details.
Imo, the 205 is a boring phone there is nothing that stands out and to make thing worst that clamp force is anoying. The s500 is a much more exciting and better sounding phone.
In ebay there is a saller called ace of bycle (?) and on amazon there a few like aoyama, madeinjapan.
If i could score them.
Comfort. Hd205: 5 points S500: 6.5 points stock pads. 7.5 pleather pads.
Sound: Hd205: 5points. S500: 8.5 points
Not even close.
Pd. My english s$cks, So, you know.....

Thanks, that's definitely a rather assuring answer, with all the good things I've heard, the low cost and the fact it isn't as bad as the HD205s I might just give these a shot! With NZ prices for 205s still ratherhigh I might even be able to get a similar return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back