The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 28, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #3,361 of 8,352
Quote:
Interesting. I have the HA-M750's and they look exactly like these.
I like the sound of the M750's. It's decent, but I can't wear them for long. Maybe an hour max? My ears start to hurt or get too sweaty.
Hopefully the S500's don't have this problem as that's going to suck.

Also, can someone comment on the sound isolation of the S500's. ie. if I go to the library/silent study and use the S500's will people hear my music?

Comfort in 750 vs 500 depends on - form of your skull. Since 750/770 earcups do not swivel, they introduce sore poin/line in front or behind your ear, if bones of your skull do not match the angle of 750/770 to lie exactly perpendicular/flat to your bones. 500 is long term comfier, particularly using velour pads, which cut too much of bass even for normal people, let alone for bassheads. Tape mod necessary in case of using velour. Please see the general earpad discussion here.

No, if you listen at anything like normal listening levels that do not lead to permanent hearing demage, your fellow librarians should have no idea what you are listening to.

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #3,364 of 8,352
How does drum & bass sound on these bad boys. Anyone care to comment?

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #3,365 of 8,352
Has anyone bought a pair of S500s from Amazon.fr? It works out to be 52EUR shipped to the UK, which would be less than buying it from eBay. Just curious to know if it'll be the same pair of headphones as the Japanese ones.

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #3,366 of 8,352
Has anyone bought a pair of S500s from Amazon.fr? It works out to be 52EUR shipped to the UK, which would be less than buying it from eBay. Just curious to know if it'll be the same pair of headphones as the Japanese ones.

Link??

Anyways, if I was you I'd buy them from eBay. It's not that much more expensive, even works out cheaper if you don't go for EMS shipping. Buy either from jp-ken or dtwhisper. :wink:

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #3,367 of 8,352
Quote:
Link??
Anyways, if I was you I'd buy them from eBay. It's not that much more expensive, even works out cheaper if you don't go for EMS shipping. Buy either from jp-ken or dtwhisper.
wink.gif

Ah, I just checked again and they're the SR500's, not the S500s. Damn.

Yeah, I was going to buy from them but I'm a little worried about it being picked up by customs. It'd add a ton to the cost if it was.

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #3,368 of 8,352
Ah, I just checked again and they're the SR500's, not the S500s. Damn.

Yeah, I was going to buy from them but I'm a little worried about it being picked up by customs. It'd add a ton to the cost if it was.

Don't worry about that, if you search the thread you will find my posts where I explained that both of those sellers agreed to mark the item as a gift so you won't get extra charges from customs. :wink:

I've messaged nearly every seller on eBay about these headphones, and the best ones to buy from are those 2. :cool:

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #3,371 of 8,352
Sound great on them, the bass is very controlled and the authority is admirable. The highs also draw you in nicely. Everything should be in their place, and more.

Thats awesome to hear. Another plus for me lol

So far, from reading this thread I gather that these HPs excel at anything Electronic.

However, band music seems to be slightly random on them...

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #3,372 of 8,352
Quote:
So far, from reading this thread I gather that these HPs excel at anything Electronic.

Yep that's the gist of it. Electronic music usually have minimal soundstage and vocals or human in it with natural sounds. They sound artificial and man-made, and these S500 has very small soundstage with a slightly V shaped signature with a fun sound so they are a good mixture. Live music is a little no-no for me with these cans, naturally because of the soundstage, they make the singers sound too forward.

Imaging is quite good IMHO, should be okay with those types of music. Anybody who want to correct me just help yourselves.

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #3,373 of 8,352
Quote:

Personally, I've liked these for almost every band that I listen to. Bands that I thought had terrible mixing before actually seem to work in the S500s.

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #3,375 of 8,352
Quote:
Just wondering if any of you think the JVC S500 would be better than the new Tiesto AKG K67 or K167's?

Not having heard them I can't say for certain but seeing that the AKGs use conventional drivers I cannot imagine them being uncompromised in some way.

The AKGs would have to be able to balance brilliant highs and mad lows, present mids, detailed across the board, transparent with no coloration, efficient to run direct out of ipod. I love AKG! but I don't think they can meet this with previous tech. They are probably real close but at 100 and 200 retail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back