The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #3,663 of 22,424
Made the mistake of paying by e-cheque on paypal for the Abyss. Still waiting for it to clear. Then shipping time. Ahhhhh! 

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #3,665 of 22,424
I just got back from a head-fi meet in Houston and I found the Abyss to be my favorite cans there, even among Stax, he 1000 and LCD 4. Color me impressed

Hahah! The Abyss is quite something else, isn't it? Everything else is what you expect a headphone to be. And then, there's the Abyss... :)

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #3,666 of 22,424
Still no news about DIANA, the "baby ABYSS 1266" ?

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #3,668 of 22,424
It is an impressive piece of kit.  What amp(s) did you get to demo?

Well the Stax Sr 007 mk1 and the sr009 were powered by a blue hawaii. I listened to the HE 1000 out of a WA5 and out of a gsx mk2. The Abyss was hooked into the WA5. I honestly wasn't expecting to like them much and I think thy are ugly. My first thought was "man these are uncomfortable". But man as soon as I pressed play I was stunned. Just like that they became my new favorite headphone. It has some design issues but they dont ruin the experience for me.

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #3,671 of 22,424
Welp. They arrived. I won’t make comparisons to other cans just yet as I need some time with them. 

Initial impressions? Wow. Comfier than I thought they would be. Bent the headband a little, got the ear cups in the right place, comfort is now on par with my LCD-3’s. I will see how the weight goes, but it doesn’t seem too bad. 

Sound. Again, wow. Similar to how I thought they would be. Great bass. Mids are a little scooped perhaps, but that is my preference actually, so it works out well. Highs seem pretty well represented, but I need more time with them to really get a feel for what is going on. 

Build quality? F’in tank. Makes my HE1000’s look like a joke, though they are heavier. Its a trade off I suppose. 

I will post comparisons to other cans in a day or two once I get more used to them. Happy listening guys, hope you all have a good day :) 

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #3,672 of 22,424
  Welp. They arrived. I won’t make comparisons to other cans just yet as I need some time with them. 

Initial impressions? Wow. Comfier than I thought they would be. Bent the headband a little, got the ear cups in the right place, comfort is now on par with my LCD-3’s. I will see how the weight goes, but it doesn’t seem too bad. 

Sound. Again, wow. Similar to how I thought they would be. Great bass. Mids are a little scooped perhaps, but that is my preference actually, so it works out well. Highs seem pretty well represented, but I need more time with them to really get a feel for what is going on. 

Build quality? F’in tank. Makes my HE1000’s look like a joke, though they are heavier. Its a trade off I suppose. 

I will post comparisons to other cans in a day or two once I get more used to them. Happy listening guys, hope you all have a good day :) 

Congrats!!  

What kind of amp/source are you using with the Abyss?  I found the mids a bit laid back at the beginning, but it turned out to be symptomatic of things up-stream, not the Abyss itself.

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #3,673 of 22,424

Congrats!!  

What kind of amp/source are you using with the Abyss?  I found the mids a bit laid back at the beginning, but it turned out to be symptomatic of things up-stream, not the Abyss itself.

Right now I'm only able to listen with my LH Labs GOV2. Tonight I will be able to listen with my Auralic Taurus MK2 and Resonessence Labs Concero HD. Next upgrade is a better DAC. I'm doing the best I can within my budget. I find headphones make the biggest difference, so now I have that sorted, I can work on the rest of the chain :) 

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #3,674 of 22,424
  Right now I'm only able to listen with my LH Labs GOV2. Tonight I will be able to listen with my Auralic Taurus MK2 and Resonessence Labs Concero HD. Next upgrade is a better DAC. I'm doing the best I can within my budget. I find headphones make the biggest difference, so now I have that sorted, I can work on the rest of the chain :) 

I agree - they show you all the problems with your other gear :)

And the Abyss are merciless.  

You've taken the first step on a very expensive, but very rewarding, road.  The good thing is that if you really love the Abyss, you can forget about spending more on headphones and just focus on your amp, etc.

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #3,675 of 22,424
I agree - they show you all the problems with your other gear :)

And the Abyss are merciless.  

You've taken the first step on a very expensive, but very rewarding, road.  The good thing is that if you really love the Abyss, you can forget about spending more on headphones and just focus on your amp, etc.

Amen to that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back