The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #3,677 of 22,477

I found the mids a bit laid back at the beginning, but it turned out to be symptomatic of things up-stream, not the Abyss itself.

I have actually been playing around with the idea of a new portable option for the abyss (ifi idsd micro) and actually thought it was a bit too much in the midrange for my liking (compared with the v281 which is a bit more relaxed).  So I would tend to agree with you there.

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #3,678 of 22,477
So here are some initial impressions of the Abyss and some quick comparisons to other headphones. I like them, a lot. They are my favourite headphones I have heard, tied with the SR-009. Tied because they are so different, and I’m not sure I could say one is better than the other, it is totally personal preference. You might love the SR-009, you might love the Abyss, you might love both for different reasons. I think some of the poor reviews and impressions of the Abyss may come from meets where people haven’t been able to, or had time, to get the fit right. When I first put them on my head my reaction was…”uwotm8.” However, after a bit fiddling, extending, and toe’ing outwards, I have gotten a great, comfy fit. I would say they are similar to the LCD-3 in terms of feeling on the head. I’m not sure what the weight differences are, but they feel similar. I think once you get to this level of headphone, quite a lot of liking them or disliking them will be personal preference. You may prefer such and such headphone, while I may prefer another. “They” are all good (within reason.)

Edit. This is all listening with an Auralic Taurus and Resonessence Labs Concero HD. Opinions, sound, could all be different with different gear. Doing the best with what I have for the moment. 

Below are my opinions, yours may differ. That is why I recommend trying before buying if at all possible. I didn’t with the Abyss because I wasn’t able to, and it was a real gamble, but thankfully it has paid off and I like them.

The HD800 is more comfortable. It is light and airy on the head. After living with the HE1000 and now the Abyss, they lack bass to me. In all other areas they are awesome. The mids and treble are clean, and precise. I don’t find the treble on the HD800 a problem even unmodified. They have a “taller” soundstage than the Abyss, if that makes sense? The Abyss is almost as wide. I find the HD800 a bit cold and clinical, but it is an absolute bargain nowadays in terms of flagship headphones, especially used. Build quality is great on the HD800, it just needs thicker paint. Vs. the Abyss, the build quality is the same in terms of quality, just completely different in terms of materials used in construction etc..

The LCD-3 is similar to the Abyss in terms of comfort. The Abyss is like an LCD-3 +5-10% in all areas soundwise. Bigger soundstage, better imaging, better bass (both in quantity and quality,) more similar to the HD800 in terms of mids and treble. Less “warm,” but not cold and clinical like the HD800. I really like the LCD-3’s wood, and build quality. In terms of reliability, the LCD-3 seems to have had a lot of trouble lately, I never had trouble with mine, but there you go. I haven’t read of Abyss failures, but I have only had mine for a day, so fingers crossed for the future. 

The HE1000. In terms of comfort, the HE1000 probably edges out the Abyss a tiny bit, but not by much. The quality of bass on the Abyss is better.  It is punchier. The mids and treble are better, “faster” if that makes sense. Soundstage is wider and as tall, on the Abyss vs. the HE1000, but the sound has far more impact to it on the Abyss. Build quality wise, and quality of materials used in construction, the HE1000 is a joke, so lets just say the Abyss wins in that department and leave it there.

The Stax SR-009. As I said earlier, they are two completely different animals. I’ve read the Abyss is “faster” than the SR-009, but I disagree. The SR-009 is the fastest headphone I have heard. It is like the notes are tied together. The Abyss has more bass, but in terms of punch and quality of bass, I’d say they are tied. The SR-009 is light and airy and beautiful, the Abyss is hardcore and punchy. Two totally different headphones. I like both equally for different reasons. I bought my Abyss used, so the cost of a Price Japan SR-009 + alright amp was slightly more than my Abyss. If you are buying a new Abyss, or buying a GOOD amp to go with the SR-009, price could be more or less depending. Build quality, the Stax wins I think, but only by a little bit. It is also a bit comfier. 

What I would really like to compare the Abyss to is the LCD-4, but I don’t own one. Hopefully in the future? haha. I think the $4000 vs $4500 (Lite package) is interesting. Is the Abyss worth the extra $500? I don’t know yet. Im guessing it will be personal preference, and they will be similar, but that is just a guess. It seems like the Abyss’s most comparable competitor. 

The type of music used in these comparisons was mostly electronic bass heavy stuff, contrasted with jazz and film scores. I threw in a bit of the Police here and there, and some metal as well. 

Again, all of this stuff is so subjective in my opinion. The comfort of all these headphones will depend on your head, and your sound preference will dictate which you like more. I’m not sure what else to say. Is the price of the Abyss worth it? I'm not sure. If you want that extra 5-10% over the LCD-3, HE1000 etc.. then yes, I think it is. Any questions just ask I guess:)

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #3,679 of 22,477
  Again, all of this stuff is so subjective in my opinion. The comfort of all these headphones will depend on your head, and your sound preference will dictate which you like more. I’m not sure what else to say. Is the price of the Abyss worth it? I'm not sure. If you want that extra 5-10% over the LCD-3, HE1000 etc.. then yes, I think it is. Any questions just ask I guess:)

I would put it at more like 10-15% over the lcd-3f.  But I agree generally in that- is the Abyss worth the price of 2 LCD3-f headphones for that improvement - for rock and bass heavy music maybe.

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #3,680 of 22,477
Glad you are liking them!!

That's weird that your Abyss distort with a "bass boost"...  I would suspect that that is your amp clipping or something vs the Abyss having issues.  You aren't running a big amp so I would suspect that.  To be honest, a lot of what you are writing (the HD800's lacking bass, being cold, etc) sound like issues with your amp more than the headphones.  I've had a very different experience with the same headphones, but different stuff up-stream - but that's me, IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Anyway, I look forward to your future impressions with them and congrats again on a great pair of headphones!

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #3,681 of 22,477
  Glad you are liking them!!

That's weird that your Abyss distort with a "bass boost"...  I would suspect that that is your amp clipping or something vs the Abyss having issues.  You aren't running a big amp so I would suspect that.  To be honest, a lot of what you are writing (the HD800's lacking bass, being cold, etc) sound like issues with your amp more than the headphones.  I've had a very different experience with the same headphones, but different stuff up-stream - but that's me, IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Anyway, I look forward to your future impressions with them and congrats again on a great pair of headphones!

Agreed, I don't have the best source gear, its a work in progress. I should have put a disclaimer on my post. Broke right now, but at the beginning of a long journey. I'd like to hear the Abyss with the Simaudio Moon Neo 430 HAD, but that is another 4 grand, so...maybe not this minute. 

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #3,682 of 22,477
Agreed, I don't have the best source gear, its a work in progress. I should have put a disclaimer on my post. Broke right now, but at the beginning of a long journey. I'd like to hear the Abyss with the Simaudio Moon Neo 430 HAD, but that is another 4 grand, so...maybe not this minute. 

The HE1K are bass/sub light in comparison with the Abyss if you connect it with proper gear and a high end amp. The abyss are much heavier load for the amp than the Hifiman HE1K.

Then the LCD-3 comparison may be true on your system, but not on a great system, then the LCD-3 are way behind in my opinion.

I think the LCD-3 should win an Award for being the most dark / dull / recessed High End headphone on the market today!

The Abyss sounds as Kharma high end speakers, the rest sounds as decent headphones in my opinion. And yes i like the SR-009 too but it is a totally different sound, more situated for classical chamber music on low-mid volume levels.

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #3,683 of 22,477
I think the LCD-3 should win an Award for being the most dark / dull / recessed High End headphone on the market today!

Have you head the TH-900's?  That's a dark, recessed phone.  I actually liked the LCD3's.  But I totally agree - the Abyss are a whole different ball game.

I think what Beolab is saying really speaks the truth: the Abyss, in the right system, are a totally unique and incomparable headphone.  

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #3,684 of 22,477

Have you head the TH-900's?  That's a dark, recessed phone.  I actually liked the LCD3's.  But I totally agree - the Abyss are a whole different ball game.

I think what Beolab is saying really speaks the truth: the Abyss, in the right system, are a totally unique and incomparable headphone.  

stock TH900 is unlistenable compared to Abyss. Stock TH900 is harsh on the treble and very sibilant....

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #3,685 of 22,477

stock TH900 is unlistenable compared to Abyss. Stock TH900 is harsh on the treble and very sibilant....

HAHA!!  I was trying to be polite and not totally bash them, but yeah....  
darthsmile.gif

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #3,686 of 22,477

HAHA!!  I was trying to be polite and not totally bash them, but yeah....  
darthsmile.gif

biggrin.gif
 only stating the facts... maybe TH900 MK2 is better.

For stock TH900 owners, I recommend going with Denon D7000 ear pads, genuine ones. Not the eBay specials...

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #3,687 of 22,477

True facts! :wink::wink:

It is very easy to misjudge the Abyss if you don't have the proper amp :wink:

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #3,688 of 22,477
I'd like to hear them on a more powerful set up. Joe from JPS Labs said the Taurus would drive them just fine, just it might be a bit clinical and that I would ultimately seek better. Im guessing nothing is wrong with the headphones as at lower volumes they play absolutely fine, so the drivers are not blown, so the distortion issue is weird. Must be my amp :frowning2:

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #3,689 of 22,477
I'd like to hear them on a more powerful set up. Joe from JPS Labs said the Taurus would drive them just fine, just it might be a bit clinical and that I would ultimately seek better. Im guessing nothing is wrong with the headphones as at lower volumes they play absolutely fine, so the drivers are not blown, so the distortion issue is weird. Must be my amp :frowning2:

Thank you for your great and detailed impression. It is weird that you are experiencing such distortion. Your testing amp is powerful enough to drive any headphone to max as per its specification. I think you need a burn-in period (mentally and mechanically, which's I don't take seriously as mental one) to absorb all these variables around Abyss :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back