The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 28, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #5,658 of 22,424
So now that people had the Phi for a few months, how has burn in ultimately changed the signature?

Is the bass still light compared to regular version? Or did it become more visceral & hard hitting? Did the treble become more incisive or is it still softer after all these months?

The Phi got a more neutral bass respones than the slight colored org. version, but it have got slight better after a long burn in.

Amps:

The Moon 600i dual mono 2x 250 watt 4 Ohm ( i own one)
got a sound of a big 500 watt Mark Levinson Mono block amps, with great control / viscerality / calmness / transparent. The best SS amp i have tried for headphones.

The EC Studio got that magic touch and impact but not too warm like the usual tube amps. Great choice

Pass Lab INT30
Less impact and power, sounds to me like something in between the Moon 430 and HeadAmp GSX. Little brighter and not the best combo with DAVE in my opinion.

Wells Audio HeadTrip got huge control / power / impact, but not as refined and visceral dynamic / airy / or transparent as the Moon 600i. Not the best combo with DAVE. The headtrip needs to be fed by a warm DAC like the AMR DP-777 to shine at is best. It sounding a bit hard.

The Moon 430 is a great amp also but i think the Abyss Phi needs a slight better amp if you got a DAVE and the Phi.

So my suggestion is the EC Studio o Moon 600i or Moon 700i SS speaker amp.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #5,659 of 22,424
Let's say strongest sub-bass rumble. The one you can physically feel the most air from the bass.

If you like subbas rumble then you can buy the Ifi Ican Pro amp with 10hz , 20hz , 30hz , 40hz analog xbass control, where you can get your Abyss to rumble your chick bones all the way down your spine :wink:

Or connect a Ifi iTube II tube buffer between your DAVE and the Moon 600i like i have, and you can choose how much rumble you want with the Xbass control. Much more expensive combo though.

Another tip is to connect a subwoofer when you are listening to your open headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #5,660 of 22,424
Pass Lab INT30
Less impact and power, sounds to me like something in between the Moon 430 and HeadAmp GSX. Little brighter and not the best combo with DAVE in my opinion.

What? I agree with everything else you've said the but the Pass is a more warm and lush amp for a SS amp. It's totally not bright - the Studio, even with warmer mesh plates - has more attack and aggressive treble. To me, easily the warmest of the three amps I mentioned. I would never, ever compare it to a GSX, even on the worst of days...

Are you sure you are thinking of the INT-30A? It sounds like you are thinking of a totally different amp....

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #5,661 of 22,424
What? I agree with everything else you've said the but the Pass is a more warm and lush amp for a SS amp. It's totally not bright - the Studio, even with warmer mesh plates - has more attack and aggressive treble. To me, easily the warmest of the three amps I mentioned. I would never, ever compare it to a GSX, even on the worst of days...

Are you sure you are thinking of the INT-30A? It sounds like you are thinking of a totally different amp....

Paule:

Yes it is lush as the Moon, and slight more transparent and i did not personally find it as great with the DAVE + Abyss Phi.
Did you find the Pass to be warmer than the Moon if i understand you correct?

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #5,664 of 22,424
I tried Phi with the Dave and I'm a bit lukewarm about it. Seems to lack a bit of body. I felt that it sounded thin

Any impressions of the Violectric HPA 280/281 or the Wells Milo with the Phi?

I have been using the v281 with mine since I got my Abyss and have been very happy with it. Effortless sound and plenty of headroom. Also definitely one of the warmer SS amps I have heard.

A couple of people on here are running the Milo and are quite pleased with it too. I believe the Wells Headtrip was designed with the Abyss in mind. I think it uses JPS cable internally or something? And the Milo is meant to be it's little brother so I suppose sound signature is probably similar. Haven't heard the wells gear myself though and there's a pretty big price gap between those amps. And some of the other amps mentioned on here actually. Depends what you want to spend.

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #5,665 of 22,424
Another week or two I get to wait anxiously for the delivery of my Abyss Phi and Milo. Can't wait! Uhgg!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #5,667 of 22,424
one thing i am really enjoying is the that i am finding myself listening to very busy musical passages and being able to make out words from the vocalist i have never understood in the past....i was listening tonight to one of my favorite live albums...smithereens live in concert an album i love but in the past was not able to make out many of the lyrics and lo and behold i was listening to songs and singing along to the proper lyrics...very very impressive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back