The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #5,686 of 22,297
You mean I didn't like your undervalued offer so decided not to waste either of our time?
Shoot.

I'm not a customer service rep, so no, I didn't send you a courtesy message. What do you think this is, the Kimpton Alexis?

These haven't sold because I am patient. Everyone is quick selling their Abyss for $2400 (with much less than mine comes with, or just in general a couple less items)
That, and I have replied to 90% of my PMs. Yours wasn't reasonable.

Anyways, back on topic. If you have further issues, please send me a PM and I would be glad to respond and ease your concerns. XD

The truth is you can buy a new Phi for 4500.00...you can update a current one for 1500 so the truth is it is going to be difficult to sell a used one for anything more than 2400.00 or so...I updated mine and i am being realistic about value

Aug 10, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #5,687 of 22,297
The truth is you can buy a new Phi for 4500.00...you can update a current one for 1500 so the truth is it is going to be difficult to sell a used one for anything more than 2400.00 or so...I updated mine and i am being realistic about value

At this point I'm just sad I don't have a working headphone, nor anything to sell.

That's a huge hole in my pocket.

Aug 10, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #5,688 of 22,297
understood and i commiserate with you,I was just commenting on the value of a used abyss

Aug 10, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #5,689 of 22,297
understood and i commiserate with you,I was just commenting on the value of a used abyss

That still doesn't include an extra headband + custom cable. Heck, even $2700 would have been fine.

Either way, now I don't have anything besides the right side.

Thanks for the comment though, I'll keep it in mind if this gets fixed for a reasonable cost.
That or I might just be screwed unfortunately. Life lesson I suppose.

Aug 10, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #5,690 of 22,297
@draytonklammer , Last we spoke early this year you were having similar problems, blamed the cable, you ordered an aftermarket cable and I never heard back, assumed you found the problem. That was the right channel, now it's the left. As I suggested before, send the whole set in and let us check it out, cables, adaptors, and all. PM me for a RA.

At this point I'm just sad I don't have a working headphone, nor anything to sell.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Aug 10, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #5,691 of 22,297
@draytonklammer , Last we spoke early this year you were having similar problems, blamed the cable, you ordered an aftermarket cable and I never heard back, assumed you found the problem. That was the right channel, now it's the left. As I suggested before, send the whole set in and let us check it out, cables, adaptors, and all. PM me for a RA.

Just sent you a message, thanks Joe.

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #5,692 of 22,297
@Mystel are these as resolving as the Utopia? How do they compare to the HE-6 in bass punch and presence?
In my opinion yes, they are just as, if not more resolving than the utopia. I still question the need of the Utopia in my collection, given my tastes. IMO, apart from looks, the Phi is better than the Utopia in everything .
Dont get me wrong, the Utopia is still an excellent headphone, it excels at many genres. Its just that it doesnt have the exciting, full-of-life sound that the Phis can offer. Its a more enjoyable experience to listen to tracks on the Phis than the utopia
I used to keep the Utopia as a complement to the original abyss. But with the Phis, i no longer see a need to.
But i do understand why some ppl will prefer the utopia.

With the Amps i use, i feel the Phis have quite similar bass presentation as a fully modded HE6, Just as tight, fast. I still think the HE6 has more body to the bass, but the Phis definitely punch harder.

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #5,694 of 22,297
AFAIK Joe has been very good with sorting out issues when people just ask. No need to post a bunch of messages saying how rubbish the drivers are especially when you have had this problem in the past and it has turned out not to be the drivers...

First of all, I haven't posted A BUNCH of messages saying how the drivers are rubbish.

Also, with the problem coming back, I have started to wonder if it was the driver the entire time, or something affecting the driver. That or it could have been a mix beforehand, who knows? I sure don't as I haven't opened up the driver for fear of doing further damage.

Neither of us know what's going on. I'll get back to the thread when I have relevant information. Also, when I spend $XXXX.XX on a headphone, I expect damn good quality. I've had $10 headphones last decades of use. Sorry to hold things to a higher standard, but not all of us have a million dollars to spend on our hobbies.
If my Utopia had an issue it would be the same situation. If a cheap pair I had broke, or stopped working properly, I'd go buy another one. These aren't that simple.

So in no way am I trying to generalize that Joe makes a faulty product. In general I've had good experiences with him, but if it is a dead driver for example, that was an extremely short lifespan and I probably only have 100-300 hours on these things. That's nothing to be honest.

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #5,695 of 22,297
I decided to keep my current pair of Abyss as they are in perfect condition and so I could compare them in a review with the new Phi. Joe is also sending the Super Conductor Cables to try in place of stock so I will be able to make some comments in the next few weeks.

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #5,696 of 22,297
Hmm yeah I just noticed they now have in their range a $15k amp and a $15.9k amp. And they are advertising the 33 Elite as the new flagship on their home page. Strange
Stay tuned on that one, things are always changing in the Amplifier world. To make things even more interesting Elrog have just released a Thoriated Tungsten 274B first one of its kind.

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #5,697 of 22,297
Also, when I spend $XXXX.XX on a headphone, I expect damn good quality. I've had $10 headphones last decades of use. Sorry to hold things to a higher standard, but not all of us have a million dollars to spend on our hobbies.

So do I have millions of dollars? No - I don't even have the spare change lying around to upgrade to the phi even though the portable setup I am using would likely benefit from the higher efficiency.

All I'm saying is why not just send it back and see what's up. If you are the original owner and registered your purchase online, the warranty is 3 years isn't it? I mean, if you thought the cable was faulty last time but didn't even bother to send it back to get replaced for free, well, yeah.

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #5,698 of 22,297
I decided to keep my current pair of Abyss as they are in perfect condition and so I could compare them in a review with the new Phi. Joe is also sending the Super Conductor Cables to try in place of stock so I will be able to make some comments in the next few weeks.

Sounds good - would be interesting to hear the two side by side

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #5,699 of 22,297
So do I have millions of dollars? No - I don't even have the spare change lying around to upgrade to the phi even though the portable setup I am using would likely benefit from the higher efficiency.

All I'm saying is why not just send it back and see what's up. If you are the original owner and registered your purchase online, the warranty is 3 years isn't it? I mean, if you thought the cable was faulty last time but didn't even bother to send it back to get replaced for free, well, yeah.

I respect what you're saying. I unfortunately don't have a warranty any longer for this headphone.
So either
A) I potentially replace the original drivers if that's the issue
B) I upgrade to the Phi
C) It's an easy fix

Weirdest thing though. I am wondering if a hair is caught in there somewhere?
I cranked the Abyss to the maximum volume my 430HA would allow and it started functioning again.
I'm getting so curious...

On a side note, who recommends the upgrade to Phi?
Now that I am listening to the Abyss again vs my Utopia, it's just... man did I miss the immersion, the bass, and how into the music it makes you feel in some genres.

I've heard bad things and good things. Some people say keep what I have, some say upgrade...
Hm...

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #5,700 of 22,297
I respect what you're saying. I unfortunately don't have a warranty any longer for this headphone.
So either
A) I potentially replace the original drivers if that's the issue
B) I upgrade to the Phi
C) It's an easy fix

Weirdest thing though. I am wondering if a hair is caught in there somewhere?
I cranked the Abyss to the maximum volume my 430HA would allow and it started functioning again.
I'm getting so curious...

On a side note, who recommends the upgrade to Phi?
Now that I am listening to the Abyss again vs my Utopia, it's just... man did I miss the immersion, the bass, and how into the music it makes you feel in some genres.

I've heard bad things and good things. Some people say keep what I have, some say upgrade...
Hm...

Hopefully the solution is either B or C....
I don't know that trying to blast a hair out of your driver with full volume is going to go well

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back