The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #16,396 of 22,503
Well recorded vocals actually sound very good with the TC, especially with the help of a great amp (and possibly tubes). Details, breathing, the mouth posture, the placement in the scene are second to none IMO.

The Susvara have a more fleshed out timbre, and a sligthly more forward presentation while retaining most of the technicalities of the TC, which make them more enjoyable and - to my ears - more realistic at the same time. They are also a bit more forgiving than the TC.

The SR1a have an extremely impressive vocals presentation, not only in terms of timbre but also when it comes to presence, as the body of the singer seems like a 3D sculpture in the empty space. Palpability is unique. The tone can be a bit lean but nothing that cannot be adapted to one's taste with some EQ and the right amp.

The Valkyria have a darker tonality than the Susvara, and an even more perceived sense of there-there when listening to both female and male vocals, thus becoming my favorite vocals performer so far in terms of (subjective) trueness of timbre, weight and emotional connection.

alexis.png

junkies.png

patricia.png

sara-k.png

youn.png

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #16,397 of 22,503
Right now I’m listening from the XLR out from the TT2 which is a pretty big step up in terms of punch and power so I’m leaving single ended behind for now.
This was my initial impression but then Rob Watts told me to volume match it and listen again (the difference is 6dB), and boom, the big difference disappeared (although there is still some difference as the XLR outs are slightly less transparent). That's why I keep using the front panel jack. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #16,398 of 22,503
Now, THIS was a treat! I'll soon check out your other suggestions too. Soon ... but not too soon. I have an exclusive date with Alexis Cole this evening.

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #16,399 of 22,503
This was my initial impression but then Rob Watts told me to volume match it and listen again (the difference is 6dB), and boom, the big difference disappeared (although there is still some difference as the XLR outs are slightly less transparent). That's why I keep using the front panel jack. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
As you probably already know, there is ongoing debate about which is best to use and provides the “best” experience. I went back and forth between front panel jacks and rear XLR’s with my Focal Utopia and, after volume match, concluded there was little to no difference between front and back. At the moment, I don’t think thats the case with the Abyss 1266 but I haven’t done any extended comparisons either. I’m keeping an open mind here, but I believe this particular headphone benefits from the 18W RMS in the rear vs 7.3W RMS in the front. I’m not ready to go the headphone amp route with these just yet but @Orlok for example is a big fan of the Chord TTOBY using speaker taps to drive the Abyss. Others will weigh in, I’m sure!

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #16,401 of 22,503
@DJJEZ so my @lavricables arrived today! Sharing a picture and first impressions as promised.

I went with their TOTL "Grand" silver cable and upgraded Furutech and AECO connectors. As always, I buy cables mainly for ergonomics, and this is a HUGE upgrade over the stock cable. Worth mentioning is that I used to own Superconductor with Diana V2 and that cable wasn't as nice to the touch as this one (very soft, light and easy to handle). I will give it a couple of days for my brain to adjust to, and then write a review. But my first impressions are, that I noticed imaging has improved significantly. I did not expect that, to be honest with you. In Eric Prydz - Opus song, one that I know by heart now, there is this background (very quiet) sound in the first minute of the song that I did not hear with the stock cable. But with the new cable, I picked it up immediately, as if it was always there. Very strange - not sure if imaging or resolution is better. I have heard this song hundreds of times and already tried multiple times to critically listen to it, and never noticed it before. Going back to the stock cable, I do hear it there now, but I have to focus, as if it was smeared into the main piece. I am absolutely amazed, did not expect to hear that much of a difference (cables don't make a difference argument, right?). Lavricables folks offered to make me even thicker (8 gauge) cable, but that would be extra cash I did not want to pay, and would make the cable significantly stiffer, which again, would go against the original goal - comfort of use. I got myself 2.5m cable, as I sometimes listen close up (1m on my desk) but other times I take Bartok to the living room where I need 2m cable. I hated how stiff and heavy the stock cable was, so needed to replace that and I am VERY satisfied. A proper review coming soon.

IMG-4914.jpg

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #16,402 of 22,503
@DJJEZ so my @lavricables arrived today! Sharing a picture and first impressions as promised.

I went with their TOTL "Grand" silver cable and upgraded Furutech and AECO connectors. As always, I buy cables mainly for ergonomics, and this is a HUGE upgrade over the stock cable. Worth mentioning is that I used to own Superconductor with Diana V2 and that cable wasn't as nice to the touch as this one (very soft, light and easy to handle). I will give it a couple of days for my brain to adjust to, and then write a review. But my first impressions are, that I noticed imaging has improved significantly. I did not expect that, to be honest with you. In Eric Prydz - Opus song, one that I know by heart now, there is this background (very quiet) sound in the first minute of the song that I did not hear with the stock cable. But with the new cable, I picked it up immediately, as if it was always there. Very strange - not sure if imaging or resolution is better. I have heard this song hundreds of times and already tried multiple times to critically listen to it, and never noticed it before. Going back to the stock cable, I do hear it there now, but I have to focus, as if it was smeared into the main piece. I am absolutely amazed, did not expect to hear that much of a difference (cables don't make a difference argument, right?). Lavricables folks offered to make me even thicker (8 gauge) cable, but that would be extra cash I did not want to pay, and would make the cable significantly stiffer, which again, would go against the original goal - comfort of use. I got myself 2.5m cable, as I sometimes listen close up (1m on my desk) but other times I take Bartok to the living room where I need 2m cable. I hated how stiff and heavy the stock cable was, so needed to replace that and I am VERY satisfied. A proper review coming soon.

IMG-4914.jpg
How long was the wait?
I ordered one and they say 3-4 weeks but you just got one and I’m curious how long you waited

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #16,403 of 22,503
How long was the wait?
I ordered one and they say 3-4 weeks but you just got one and I’m curious how long you waited
I had been talking to them about this cable for 2-3 months now (as I wasn't sure about what length I will need and if I want their custom 8 gauge). But I ordered exactly on June 7th, they made the cable on June 8th, 150 hours of burn-in, and shipped it on 15th, and it arrived to my doorstep today, on 16th.

Not sure why they quoted you 3-4 weeks. Did you order burn-in? Are you a new or returning customer? I had ordered from them already in the past (twice in fact), so I wonder if that played a role. Best to ask them directly why 3-4 weeks, i found them to be very honest and upfront with me, so they most likely will tell you the real reason (maybe some connector shortage, what exact cable/model did you order?).

Jun 16, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #16,404 of 22,503
Has anyone compared the Norne Silvergarde S4 to the Lavricable Grand cable?

Jun 16, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #16,405 of 22,503
I had been talking to them about this cable for 2-3 months now (as I wasn't sure about what length I will need and if I want their custom 8 gauge). But I ordered exactly on June 7th, they made the cable on June 8th, 150 hours of burn-in, and shipped it on 15th, and it arrived to my doorstep today, on 16th.

Not sure why they quoted you 3-4 weeks. Did you order burn-in? Are you a new or returning customer? I had ordered from them already in the past (twice in fact), so I wonder if that played a role. Best to ask them directly why 3-4 weeks, i found them to be very honest and upfront with me, so they most likely will tell you the real reason (maybe some connector shortage, what exact cable/model did you order?).
I got the cheapest one. I like the bag. Ive seen it before. I just didn't feel like buying a better cable right now. I can do that later.

I asked a week before I ordered and got a 3-4 week answer.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #16,406 of 22,503
I got the cheapest one. I like the bag. Ive seen it before. I just didn't feel like buying a better cable right now. I can do that later.

I asked a week before I ordered and got a 3-4 week answer

Ill ask again. Maybe things are not set in stone.
Hard to say what kind of backlog they are dealing with at the moment and who they prioritise (more expensive cables first? I am just guessing). Do ask them and let us know!

Jun 16, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #16,407 of 22,503
It's been a while since I've gotten any new gear. I now have a Riviera AIC-10 on the way from @F208Frank . Very excited, it's the step I needed to take before upgrading TT2 to Dave, someday...

FWIW, I Do hear a difference using the TT2 rear XLR output. I have been setting it 6 - 7 db lower since using the front jack and I still get bigger soundstage, tighter more controlled bass, etc. Looking forward to having a TOTL amp on the road to Dave.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #16,408 of 22,503
Hard to say what kind of backlog they are dealing with at the moment and who they prioritise (more expensive cables first? I am just guessing). Do ask them and let us know!
I read your first post wrong and thought that it was the better cable that came with the more expensive TC

im just passing the time waiting for my new 1266. And my illiteracy struck hard.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #16,410 of 22,503
As you probably already know, there is ongoing debate about which is best to use and provides the “best” experience. I went back and forth between front panel jacks and rear XLR’s with my Focal Utopia and, after volume match, concluded there was little to no difference between front and back. At the moment, I don’t think thats the case with the Abyss 1266 but I haven’t done any extended comparisons either. I’m keeping an open mind here, but I believe this particular headphone benefits from the 18W RMS in the rear vs 7.3W RMS in the front. I’m not ready to go the headphone amp route with these just yet but @Orlok for example is a big fan of the Chord TTOBY using speaker taps to drive the Abyss. Others will weigh in, I’m sure!
First of all, congrats on finally receiving your AB-1266 TC! Not spending as much time as I used to here. Got a lot of other things going on and I decided I'm totally set and happy with what I have so I've kind of lost interest in even looking at any other gear. Haha. Planning another RV trip up the CA coast right now.

Yes, huge fan of using the TToby's speaker taps driving the TC. I've done extensive comparisons with the TC through the SE front-end, the XLR outs in the rear and the TToby and, to me, there is simply no comparison: the TToby wins by a huge margin. And I know I'm not only one who has said this - @Mh996 has reported results that seem to mirror mine with the TToby.

Major heatwave rolling through southwest US right now so I've been spending time listening through my Buchardt S400 speakers the past few days. Even with the AC going, the heat made HP listening less than pleasurable. This is the first time I've listened with speakers in several months since I got the TC and, I must say, it was a very refreshing experience. The S400s are amazing.

This being said, it cooled off today so I went back to the TC and it put a big smile back on my face. It's way different and HP listening will never quite equal the soundstage and imaging that speakers provide but it provides a level of detail and a sense of immersion that speakers can't either - unless they were some $100K+ type of systems and I've heard some of those so I doubt even they can match the TC in that regard.

I also decided to try the HD800S through the TT2's SE HP output today. It's one of the two that I passed on to my sons. My younger son is a budding audiophile but my older son doesn't really seem to care. He's away on some vacation trip with his friends and noticed that his HD800S had the cable tied up in a small bunch in a corner of his room. He hasn't been using it at all. I just rolled my eyes and thought, "Okay, so you are not meant to be an audiophile even if I give you a $1700 HP to start out with. Oh well, I tried..." Haha

Anyway, I tried it through the TT2 for the first time and, I have to say, compared to the TC with the TToby, it sounds really small - I mean, claustrophobic small. The HD800S is known as the "king" of soundstage and it felt like listening in a tiny cramped room. I don't mean to diss the HD800S as it really is a fine HP but it was so badly outclassed by the TC through the TToby that I was actually quite surprised by the magnitude of the difference. Well, it only reaffirmed how huge, clear and transparent the TC sounds through my setup. It works for me so I'm just not going to look any further. :L3000:

Attachments

• IMG_2558.jpeg
    IMG_2558.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back