The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #16,381 of 22,596
Will you consider going to a pelican style box with custom kaizen foam cut-outs like other TOTL headphone companies? IMO, the wooden box is not very practical and is kind of useless once the headphones are removed.
I’ve received headphones in all kinds of packaging including pelican cases (Audeze). I actually like the wooden box, but I’m still not likely to use it. Ditto for pelican cases. Honestly I’d be happy with shrink wrap if it lowered the price!

Jun 12, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #16,382 of 22,596
Well, as long as they don’t raise the price…
They ****ing sell superconductor cables etched with who knows obsidian, kryptonite, osmium.

On my behalf, they'll call this customer appreciation at no extra charge!

Jun 12, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #16,384 of 22,596
From my perspective, the superconductor cables are made of unobtanium…
This ununennium is what caused all of the supply-chain delays.

Jun 12, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #16,385 of 22,596
The AB-1266 heavy leather carry case is far cooler than some plastic and foam case.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jun 13, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #16,387 of 22,596
Jun 13, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #16,388 of 22,596
Problem has always been supply, made by a small company in California. Working on building up stock. In the meantime, contact us if interested.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jun 13, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #16,389 of 22,596
I went with the box :)

How are the TCs for extended listening? I work from home so can listen for six hours plus a day as an example.

Jun 13, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #16,390 of 22,596
I went with the box :)

How are the TCs for extended listening? I work from home so can listen for six hours plus a day as an example.
I've only had mine for a few days but have listened for up to 3 hours at a time. I don't get fatigued and I find them to be more comfortable for longer sessions than my LCD-4z where the 4z would give me a hot spot on my head after an hour or so. They are very resolving though so if you are sensitive to treble they might be fatiguing. Also probably depends on the genre of music that you like. If you listen to more acoustic / instrumental music I wouldn't think you'd be bothered by them but if you are listening to a lot of electronic or pop you might get fatigued. I listen to mostly electronic though and they really don't irritate my ears at all unless I turn up the volume too much which is easy to do with these.

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #16,391 of 22,596
So, received mine on Friday 6/11 and I’m finally glad to be able to participate with actual impressions.

Firstly, the fitting process was actually fast and easy after watching the Abyss videos. I don’t have any hot spots and, on balance, they are pretty comfortable. Apparently I have the prototype head size; even the o-rings are fine as is. They don’t slide around and putting the ear cups at 10 o’clock and 2:00 o’clock seems perfect. I’ll certainly experiment with moving them around but tilting the headphone back and forth seems to provide enough flexibility to move sound stage, enhance bass, etc. I was worried they be an ongoing fit nightmare but they really don’t move much unless I shake my head with a bit of enthusiasm. I guess I’ll suffer with it!

My start point was single ended out from the TT2/M-Scaler listening from my stored music files (MacBook Pro/Audirvana/optical out/M-Scaler/TT2/Abyss) using the stock headphone cable. I also experimented with Lazuli Reference and Moon silver Dragon headphone cables. The stock cable is just fine IMHO though I might give a very slight edge to the silver dragons. I’d have to say the headphones exceeded my high expectations, so we are off to a good start. I’m not yet going to get into comparisons with other headphones I own (Utopia, Stellia, Sony Z1R, LCD-X) but the Abyss is definitely a clear step up generally speaking. The Utopia is pretty hard to beat when listening to acoustic, female vocals or small intimate music setting but the Abyss soundstage is fantastic.

Right now I’m listening from the XLR out from the TT2 which is a pretty big step up in terms of punch and power so I’m leaving single ended behind for now. Again, the stock cable is very nice though the dual wire configuration is a bit annoying; it tends to get twisted up so I’ll have to deal with that. I’ve currently settled on a Wywires Platinum cable using small adapters (LEMO to Abyss mini XLR) and it’s better IMHO than the stock cable in the mid range and at least equal in treble and bass. I’m not seeing any great need to move to the superconductor but, never say never! I’d want at least 8’ and $3000 just seems extremely high for what is not overwhelming improvement based on reviews. I’d like to listen for myself at some point though.

My music taste is pretty eclectic so it’s probably not productive yet to get into descriptions, comparisons or specifics; I’ll do that on an ongoing basis as the headphones break in and the spirit moves me. I will offer one comment on realism though: here’s the comment I made to @DJJEZ in a Private message. Hope he gets his soon!

“I don’t normally get too deep in the weeds with descriptions, but I do have a “reference” cd for the realism test Which is Eva Cassidy “Live at Blues Alley”. Here’s a Wikipedia article that will frame it for you. So, how real was it? I could smell the stale beer and cigarettes and almost went to make myself a drink. Does that help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_Blues_Alley

Thanks for reading!

Jun 15, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #16,392 of 22,596
Eva Cassidy “Live at Blues Alley”
Glad you are enjoying your 1266. I really enjoy this album so thanks for the suggestion. I like the parts where she sings a little louder to the point of hearing her voice reflect off the walls of the room / club she's performing in. This album got me listening to more acoustic music and exploring jazz and folk albums that I haven't listened to in a little while. Here's some albums that I think sound great on the 1266:
Jazz at the Pawnshop vol. 1 - Arne Domnerus (Inspired a bit by the Abyss video posted yesterday)
South Front Street - Grayson Capps
Undercurrent - Sarah Jarosz
Pine Hollows (Live) - The Staves
The Sting Variations - Tierney Sutton
The Unity Session - Pat Metheny. Also Pat Metheny Unity band album is good (similar songs more of a live sound)

Jun 15, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #16,393 of 22,596
I think both things really are true. The Abyss definitely had a greater degree of realism than the Susvara, but I think most people are referring to how the mids and vocals are more prominent/forward in general on the Susvara than the TC.
I think so too. People somehow confuse accentuation with quality. I have a Grado RS-1, which is said to be best for female vocals. Why? Because those frequencies are enhanced. For my own sake, I find female voices and countertenors to be almost unbearable on my Grados, and much prefer to listen to females on darker headsets. The Grados are, however, excellent for male vocals, especially deep male vocals, which do not feature as many of the frequencies that are readily enhanced on the Grados.

I haven't listened to the Susvaras, but I suspect it's the same thing there: boosting the frequencies for female vocals compared to the 1266. Nothing more. It's like a bass head who confuses bass quality with bass amount.

All that said, the 1266s ruined a recent favourite song of mine, Lacrimosa by Zbigniew Preisner. It revealed a poor mixing where whoever was mixing was rather fast-handed on the volume controls. And after I had first heard it on the 1266, I spotted it on any other gear as well. They should mark the outside of that wooden box we are discussing with Here Be Dragons!

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #16,394 of 22,596
I think so too. People somehow confuse accentuation with quality. I have a Grado RS-1, which is said to be best for female vocals. Why? Because those frequencies are enhanced. For my own sake, I find female voices and countertenors to be almost unbearable on my Grados, and much prefer to listen to females on darker headsets. The Grados are, however, excellent for male vocals, especially deep male vocals, which do not feature as many of the frequencies that are readily enhanced on the Grados.

I haven't listened to the Susvaras, but I suspect it's the same thing there: boosting the frequencies for female vocals compared to the 1266. Nothing more. It's like a bass head who confuses bass quality with bass amount.

All that said, the 1266s ruined a recent favourite song of mine, Lacrimosa by Zbigniew Preisner. It revealed a poor mixing where whoever was mixing was rather fast-handed on the volume controls. And after I had first heard it on the 1266, I spotted it on any other gear as well. They should mark the outside of that wooden box we are discussing with Here Be Dragons!

I also like to listen female voices, actually much more than male voice. I agree RS1 has that shouty problem. However, Susvara still the best to render female singer in my book, especially for medium-slow vocal songs like jazz and acoustic.

Jun 15, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #16,395 of 22,596

Yea I would say that isn't the case. I have had both for quite a long time and know them really well. The vocals aren't over emphasized on the Susvara, they are just a bit underemphasized on the TC (mids in general). This is noticeable in comparison to the 009 and Sr1a I have as well. It's not a huge deal or dealbreaker, I simply turn the volume up a bit to compensate. Once I do that, the vocals on the TC are just absolutely amazing in comparison to any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back