The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #16,411 of 22,500
It's been a while since I've gotten any new gear. I now have a Riviera AIC-10 on the way from @F208Frank . Very excited, it's the step I needed to take before upgrading TT2 to Dave, someday...

FWIW, I Do hear a difference using the TT2 rear XLR output. I have been setting it 6 - 7 db lower since using the front jack and I still get bigger soundstage, tighter more controlled bass, etc. Looking forward to having a TOTL amp on the road to Dave.
Regarding the Dave upgrade, mine is actually going to be sold in future. Just receive the AIC 10 1st (coming this friday) be satisfied for a good while (when I say good while I mean GOOD long while) and when ready ping me again.

It was probably meant to be as I accidentally sent you my DAVE remote within the AIC 10 package.

*shrugs*

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #16,412 of 22,500
For anyone who would like to upgrade their stock cable for something better, but do not wish to pay for Superconductor, have a look at my review of Lavricables Grand here. (yes, I used to own Superconductor for Diana V2, but chose Lavricables for AB-1266 instead). Hope this helps someone!

Jun 17, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #16,413 of 22,500
Doh! I hope the Riviera remote is in there. At least I believe the Riviera should have a remote.

It will be a while, maybe 6 months-ish... Have to pay off credit card first.

Jun 17, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #16,414 of 22,500
Jun 17, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #16,415 of 22,500
Recommended burn-in?

I recommend you get them, plug them in and start enjoying them right away. In between your listening sessions you can do burn in. It's wonderful to experience first hand how these "mature", like a fine wine, within hours of listening and burn in in the first 150 hours.

They completely transform. Open to a scale so exciting to see. It's like watching new life come into maturity.

Really, don't worry about burn in. Just enjoy them and see your baby go from first steps to adulthood.

Oh, at first these will sound like something is coming from a small area from the drivers. It's about all the talk about having them perfectly aligned and adjusted is coming from. After using them 200+ hours the drivers open up so much the sound is easy and smooth. Adjustments, to my ears, make so much smaller results. It becomes so easy to get wonderful results. They are so open, no matter how you adjust them. They become so easy to always get great sound, with the the adjustments being a small, but taylorable, adjustment to get the bass and spaciousness you desire. So great

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #16,416 of 22,500
I recommend you get them, plug them in and start enjoying them right away. In between your listening sessions you can do burn in. It's wonderful to experience first hand how these "mature", like a fine wine, within hours of listening and burn in in the first 150 hours.

They completely transform. Open to a scale so exciting to see. It's like watching new life come into maturity.

Really, don't worry about burn in. Just enjoy them and see your baby go from first steps to adulthood.

Oh, at first these will sound like something is coming from a small area from the drivers. It's about all the talk about having them perfectly aligned and adjusted is coming from. After using them 200+ hours the drivers open up so much the sound is easy and smooth. Adjustments, to my ears, make so much smaller results. It becomes so easy to get wonderful results. They are so open, no matter how you adjust them. They become so easy to always get great sound, with the the adjustments being a small, but taylorable, adjustment to get the bass and spaciousness you desire. So great
So, what is the difference (if any) between burn in and just listening to headphones for the recommended burn in time? I’m not downplaying (see what I did there) burn in and I assume it’s just a way to break in headphones more quickly. Otherwise I’m guessing 150 hours of listening time equals 150 hours of burn in.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #16,417 of 22,500
So, what is the difference (if any) between burn in and just listening to headphones for the recommended burn in time?
When I got my Diana V2 (I know I am in AB-1266 thread) it sounded off from the demo I had at the time. So I was listening to it normally and when I went to bed, I continued playing songs through them. At around 3 days in of non stop playing, they sounded very close to the demo. Someone told me I could have been playing white/ping noise instead (while asleep) as that would include all frequencies better and burn in the cable faster/better. I am not sure if this is true, but I think just regular use is fine, but if you want to fast forward, let them play during nights.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #16,419 of 22,500
I have received my TCs, but I have not had a chance to sit down with them yet.

These headphones look insane, like something Jigsaw would come up with from the Saw movies..!

I will need some way to tame the very long superconductor XLR cable as I sit only 1 meter from my headamp/DAC.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #16,421 of 22,500
I have received my TCs, but I have not had a chance to sit down with them yet.

These headphones look insane, like something Jigsaw would come up with from the Saw movies..!

I will need some way to tame the very long superconductor XLR cable as I sit only 1 meter from my headamp/DAC.
Someone recommended this cord covering from Amazon—here’s a link. Honestly, I can’t understand why they made it that way and I agree it’s inconvenient.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FW5H57B/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=A2N7NRZ9X3BHHN&psc=1

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #16,423 of 22,500
This man is a damn genius. Buy a roll of Velcro. I can't even count the number of times it has come in handy in my audio setup, general nerdery, fix-it stuff around the house, TV cable mgmt., Christmas light cable mgmt., etc. etc.
Totally agree here. I have a roll that is fairly wide (about 2”) and I can cut it for various uses. I really think it’s too stiff for the stock cable though.

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #16,424 of 22,500
Does anyone know what the default o-ring size is for the stock 1266 headband? When they arrived I went straight to 216 out of my o-ring kit I had purchased. Now I am on 214 as I have gotten used to how to fit them and don't need as much o-ring flex as I initially thought. I think it might be 213 but don't want to use a size less than stock.

Jun 18, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #16,425 of 22,500
For anyone who would like to upgrade their stock cable for something better, but do not wish to pay for Superconductor, have a look at my review of Lavricables Grand here. (yes, I used to own Superconductor for Diana V2, but chose Lavricables for AB-1266 instead). Hope this helps someone!
So, just ordered DHC Complement C cable for AB-1266, planning to compare it Lavricables Grand. So that we have a shootout of $600 cables, copper vs silver, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back