The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 19, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #16,426 of 22,459
So, just ordered DHC Complement C cable for AB-1266, planning to compare it Lavricables Grand. So that we have a shootout of $600 cables, copper vs silver, haha.
Let us know which music styles are best with which cables. There's probably not going to be an overall winner that takes all genres. Never is in our hobby, it seems.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #16,427 of 22,459
Let us know which music styles are best with which cables. There's probably not going to be an overall winner that takes all genres. Never is in our hobby, it seems.
Exactly my thinking. I am not after the best here, just something that fits my listening expectations. Right now, I listen to 70% EDM without vocals, 25% with vocals and the rest is random stuff, from rock to metal. Lavricables are to my ears +4 (ergonomics, resolution, staging, mids) and -1 (bass) so +3 improvement. But the priority of these attributes for me is “unchanged tonality” > ergonomics > resolution > mids > staging. I wish Lavricables did not change the lower end register as much as they do (by uplifting mids), hence my 4.5* review and not 5. I hope to see DHC to solve this issue, which it should, after speaking with Peter who also listens to EDM mainly.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #16,428 of 22,459
Re the fit, should the seam on the pads be facing (approximately) towards the headband? If so, as I look at mine it would be 1 o'clock and 11 o'clock.

I read that there needs to be a gap, well I wouldn't say mine clamp my head exactly, but they feel flush to my head nonetheless, is this against recommendation?

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #16,429 of 22,459
I read that there needs to be a gap, well I wouldn't say mine clamp my head exactly, but they feel flush to my head nonetheless, is this against recommendation?
I had a BIG reveal on that yesterday! I had been somewhat sub-impressed by the bass of my 1266, and was starting to wonder if I had gotten a "monday product". And I had an audiophile friend over, and he said they were great at resolution and reality and all that, but they were a bit lacking in the bass department. So when he went home, I pondered this, and I remembered something Joshua Valor had said about DMS bending the frame out for him. Well, my friend has an even bigger head than I do, so I tried, and BAM there's the bass! That was quite late yesterday, so I haven't gone much past the initial discovery that the opening at the bottom -- a real opening -- is essential.

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #16,430 of 22,459
I had a BIG reveal on that yesterday! I had been somewhat sub-impressed by the bass of my 1266, and was starting to wonder if I had gotten a "monday product". And I had an audiophile friend over, and he said they were great at resolution and reality and all that, but they were a bit lacking in the bass department. So when he went home, I pondered this, and I remembered something Joshua Valor had said about DMS bending the frame out for him. Well, my friend has an even bigger head than I do, so I tried, and BAM there's the bass! That was quite late yesterday, so I haven't gone much past the initial discovery that the opening at the bottom -- a real opening -- is essential.
Bending out the frame? How hard / easy was it? I have a large-ass noggin' and I still get bass from my TC, enormous amounts, but interesting you had to bend out the frame.

Jun 19, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #16,431 of 22,459
Bending out the frame? How hard / easy was it? I have a large-ass noggin' and I still get bass from my TC, enormous amounts, but interesting you had to bend out the frame.
Quite easy. Just grip on the same side of the top screw so you don't compromise it. The key was to get a large enough opening as opposed to a seal. I guess you already have that opening. Head size: When the 1266 were fresh, very recently, they clamped my head to the point of discomfort, even when slid out to the max. So I bent them out a little bit then until they were comfortable. But for bass, even a bit more bending was needed. The track where it made a huge difference was this, btw:

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #16,432 of 22,459
Check out Abyss Youtube setup videos (first and second), where Joe showcases it.

Jun 19, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #16,434 of 22,459
it takes a bit of effort but isnt all that difficult,there are videos out there showing to best do it...

Jun 20, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #16,437 of 22,459
Can any of you recommend EQ profiles for the TC, to adjust the balance between its bass, midrange and treble? I would like to see if there are others who EQ to bring the midrange forward relative to the bass and the treble.
You could get Lavricables Grand (like you have for your Susvara) which kinda achieves this. Or splurge for Superconductor cable that goes above and beyond when it comes to mids. Obviously, EQ will be cheaper, haha.

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #16,438 of 22,459
Short listen mini-pressions:
I've always been enamoured by the unique and agreeably polarizing design of the Abyss AB-1266 models from the very first time I looked at pictures of them online. Something about them screamed unashamed pride of standing out from the rest both in looks and from what I had read, and now having heard them myself, sound. These were very comfortable for me to wear for over an hour and I am very picky about comfort. Couldn't stand the ZMF Ori and struggle with even the ZMF Atticus.

@Sajid Amit kindly invited me over to try his newest bad boys out since he knew I have been daydreaming about these for a long time now.

They were driven off of the speaker outs of the Accuphase and source was the legendary May Holo using Roon. In this set up, and from my admittedly brief hour of listening, these are everything I had hoped for in my dream cans and much much more. I have heard the Susvara a couple of times before too and these were much much much more suited to my preferences than the hifimans. The physicality. The dynamism. And the breathtaking gentleness of surrounding you with micro details and texture. And these do sound very different depending on how you rotate the pads, tighten headband and position them on your head(closer or further from the ears). I set them so there was less treble energy and not crazy sub bass but enough to satisfy a closet basshead such as myself. The mids shined through as a result. Maybe it was due to the holo dac or the Accuphase, I don't know, but I do know that the liquidity of the mids had me so lost into the music that I forgot about everything else for the duration while listening to them.

Liquid and velvety yet unapologetic in it's impactfulness is how I'd describe their sound. It didn't feel like it was just music. There was something more powering through it. Giving it more life. No strings and acoustic instruments did not sound as real and godly as they did on the Susvara, but it wasn't that far behind the bar of uncompromising satisfaction and pleasure to these ears. Natural is not a word I'd use to describe them. But it's breathtakingly fun, but yet so refined and TOTL that I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, actually feels like I'm getting *more* then real life natural sound could give me. Yes, if you can't tell by now, I'm in love with them.

Obviously these are VERY raw and short listening impressions. My thoughts on these beasts may very well change with more listening sessions.

Wishing you all a very good day/night!

Attachments

• 214204F4-B628-4413-B4BF-4BD8AB88CED5.jpeg
    214204F4-B628-4413-B4BF-4BD8AB88CED5.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 0
  • C0514D5E-0C37-4A05-A8D9-E00A0095AA94.jpeg
    C0514D5E-0C37-4A05-A8D9-E00A0095AA94.jpeg
    834.9 KB · Views: 0
Jun 20, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #16,439 of 22,459
Short listen mini-pressions:
I've always been enamoured by the unique and agreeably polarizing design of the Abyss AB-1266 models from the very first time I looked at pictures of them online. Something about them screamed unashamed pride of standing out from the rest both in looks and from what I had read, and now having heard them myself, sound. These were very comfortable for me to wear for over an hour and I am very picky about comfort. Couldn't stand the ZMF Ori and struggle with even the ZMF Atticus.

@Sajid Amit kindly invited me over to try his newest bad boys out since he knew I have been daydreaming about these for a long time now.

They were driven off of the speaker outs of the Accuphase and source was the legendary May Holo using Roon. In this set up, and from my admittedly brief hour of listening, these are everything I had hoped for in my dream cans and much much more. I have heard the Susvara a couple of times before too and these were much much much more suited to my preferences than the hifimans. The physicality. The dynamism. And the breathtaking gentleness of surrounding you with micro details and texture. And these do sound very different depending on how you rotate the pads, tighten headband and position them on your head(closer or further from the ears). I set them so there was less treble energy and not crazy sub bass but enough to satisfy a closet basshead such as myself. The mids shined through as a result. Maybe it was due to the holo dac or the Accuphase, I don't know, but I do know that the liquidity of the mids had me so lost into the music that I forgot about everything else for the duration while listening to them.

Liquid and velvety yet unapologetic in it's impactfulness is how I'd describe their sound. It didn't feel like it was just music. There was something more powering through it. Giving it more life. No strings and acoustic instruments did not sound as real and godly as they did on the Susvara, but it wasn't that far behind the bar of uncompromising satisfaction and pleasure to these ears. Natural is not a word I'd use to describe them. But it's breathtakingly fun, but yet so refined and TOTL that I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, actually feels like I'm getting *more* then real life natural sound could give me. Yes, if you can't tell by now, I'm in love with them.

Obviously these are VERY raw and short listening impressions. My thoughts on these beasts may very well change with more listening sessions.

Wishing you all a very good day/night!
You look VERY happy in those photos, that’s what this hobby should be about!

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #16,440 of 22,459
You could get Lavricables Grand (like you have for your Susvara) which kinda achieves this. Or splurge for Superconductor cable that goes above and beyond when it comes to mids. Obviously, EQ will be cheaper, haha.
I am pondering alternative cabling or added cabling as well. One thing is listening to music. Usually short distance to source. But then there's TV after the family's gone to bed. 5m or so required. Should I extend, or should I have a plain long 5m? Or should I just use my old Denons for that purpose?

It's intriguing to see discussions of cabling especially wrt the 1266, since the same people who make them also make top-tier cables and have a more or less "insiderish" grab at the lead there. But I'm not financially positioned to buy a load of different ones and test, so I'll be following yours and others' experiences here. As I'm writing this, I'm running 1266 out of a goddamn Mac Powerbook as I am grading exams, and even then I am pleased as punch! I have better amping, but not near my "grading station". Anyway, big future decisions will have to wait until 1) I have gotten familiar with them with what I have, 2) I understand what the rest of you have written, and 3) my bank account no longer looks at me with that accusatory stare.

Might be that dac comes ahead of cabling as next upgrade. Or even amp, or some tubey preamp stuff. Dunno. But waiting and learning seldom hurts at this price point, and I learn a lot here and by listening to totl at YouTube (and pestering them with my questions).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back