The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #16,366 of 22,596
I'm quite flabergasted by all the talk about Abyss being not as good as susv in vocals. I've had my Phi for a couple years now. I've heard susv, maybe not with the perfect amp,but vocals from Abyss just sounds more real.

Jun 12, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #16,367 of 22,596
15 weeks and they are finally here. Everything I had hoped for. Was very distracted with listening yesterday, so I didn't have a chance to post. Started with the SE output on my TT2 and have since moved to the XLR's. Much more grip and definition on everything with the XLR's. Currently having some speaker taps made for me, and then I will see what the Etude brings to the show. Until then, I will sit back and enjoy listening to how they evolve through the break-in period. And by the way, they only sit atop the mscaler for this picture, not a full-time thing :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #16,368 of 22,596
15 weeks and they are finally here. Everything I had hoped for. Was very distracted with listening yesterday, so I didn't have a chance to post. Started with the SE output on my TT2 and have since moved to the XLR's. Much more grip and definition on everything with the XLR's. Currently having some speaker taps made for me, and then I will see what the Etude brings to the show. Until then, I will sit back and enjoy listening to how they evolve through the break-in period. And by the way, they only sit atop the mscaler for this picture, not a full-time thing :wink:
IMG_0719_jpg.jpg
Congrats and let us know how it sounds on Etude when you get the adapter!

Jun 12, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #16,369 of 22,596
I have a option of buying a TC from overseas, the box alone adds approx $140 to the shipping cost. I personally have little need for it myself but in terms of potential resale is not having the box likely to reduce the sale value by more than that?

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #16,370 of 22,596
I have a option of buying a TC from overseas, the box alone adds approx $140 to the shipping cost. I personally have little need for it myself but in terms of potential resale is not having the box likely to reduce the sale value by more than that?
I'm going to support pure conjecture, but I surmise the dealer networks overseas are not as strong as in the US which would dictate MINT-like-conditions to foster sales.

As such, I'd wager more limited availability drives a more flexible market even without original packaging.

Could be totally wrong though. To think a box provides such value. :smile:

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #16,371 of 22,596
If I was buying one used, I wouldn't care about a box it originally came in with.

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #16,372 of 22,596
I bought a pelican style case for mine. The wood box has never come back out of the shipping box. Personally I wouldn’t care any the box if I was buying used. Interesting and nice to look at but wouldn’t change what I was willing to pay. Certainly not $140 worth.

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #16,373 of 22,596
We don't know what the market will be like on a boxless TC in the future but in my experience, I have bought used boxless TOTL headphones twice in the past and yes they were cheaper compared to used units that came with their boxes and in my experience by about approx 150-200usd. I didn't care about the box and was just happy to pay the cheaper price.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #16,374 of 22,596
I'm quite flabergasted by all the talk about Abyss being not as good as susv in vocals. I've had my Phi for a couple years now. I've heard susv, maybe not with the perfect amp,but vocals from Abyss just sounds more real.

I think both things really are true. The Abyss definitely had a greater degree of realism than the Susvara, but I think most people are referring to how the mids and vocals are more prominent/forward in general on the Susvara than the TC.

From my experience, buyers here tend to really care about having 100% of the original packaging, which is a bit weird to me as you're buying them used lol. I would think cost wise it probably will even out if you sale them used so it doesn't much matter either way.

Jun 12, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #16,375 of 22,596
Not sure why the box would add so much to the shipping cost, but in any event it’s probably a wash. You’ll pay less now and get a bit less when you sell. I’m about to banish my box to the basement with all of the other boxes but I guess I’m glad I have it.

Jun 12, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #16,376 of 22,596
get the box although I think the seller is taking advantage asking for 140 dollars additional for the box

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #16,377 of 22,596
Dimensional weight (LxWxH) on a fully boxed AB-1266 is about 17 pounds / 7 kg.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jun 12, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #16,378 of 22,596
Dimensional weight (LxWxH) on a fully boxed AB-1266 is about 17 pounds / 7 kg.
Will you consider going to a pelican style box with custom kaizen foam cut-outs like other TOTL headphone companies? IMO, the wooden box is not very practical and is kind of useless once the headphones are removed.

Jun 12, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #16,379 of 22,596
No no. We need petition for an all-aluminum 7075 CNC'ed custom-fit tiara display for you ****ing queens.

It'll only be a mere 200 pound case but you deserve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back