The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 10, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #16,336 of 22,596
Awesome, that's probably one of the best mobile hi-fi rigs out there! Never seen one of those at a campsite!
Utah is amazing. I was surprised how many European tourists go there. And they know way about the locations than my American born friends and coworkers, lol. I talked to some Europeans in Unimogs or other crazy off-road RVs that they brought in to the US, just so they could go on a 3-month or 6-month vacation. Incredible.
I never paid too much attention to the big rigs that serious vacationers took on their trips until this one. Man, these people are serious about what they take on the road with them. I was so blown away by some RVs and what they brought with them. And I would see these huge RVs and trucks pulling their 5-wheelers with the toy haulers snaking their way through narrow curvy mountain roads and all I could do was just smile: "Man, you people sure know how to enjoy life! You don't fool around. I want to be just like you!" Haha.

Entegra is like the Abyss of the RV world. One was parked right behind our "modest" 36-footer at a camp in Utah and I had some good talks with the owner. It's the first and fourth photos that I attached here. He looked a little younger than me (early-50's) but was already retired and traveling around with his wife in this TOTL RV pulling a custom hot-rodded off-road Jeep. And then there was another TOTL RV called Tiffin. That's in the last photo with a red SUV in the front. This was parked right in front of us and I talked to an elderly couple who came with this rig. They seemed quite happy with what they had.

Entegra and Tiffin are like Abyss and HiFiMan of the RV world, so to speak. I'd go into RV forums and there'd be these Entegra vs Tiffin threads for TOTL RVs. Haha. Funny stuff. Well, I can say for sure that these are not the only TOTL RV players just like Abyss and HiFiMan aren't the only ones making great TOTL HPs. And, yes, there are RVs that cost as much as a cool $2m. I guess that's like the HE1 or the Shangri-La of the RV world. :smile:

Competition is good! It forces the manufacturers to be the best they can be.

Attachments

• IMG_2378.jpeg
    IMG_2378.jpeg
    480.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2438.jpeg
    IMG_2438.jpeg
    437.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2440.jpeg
    IMG_2440.jpeg
    510.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2442.jpeg
    IMG_2442.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2446.jpeg
    IMG_2446.jpeg
    409.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2436.jpeg
    IMG_2436.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 0
Jun 10, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #16,337 of 22,596
Unimogs take this to a whole new level….
I looked up the Unimogs. Man, now that is some extreme stuff. Well, I'm too old for that now! Haha. I definitely want to do some off-roading but, like you say, that's a whole different level.

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #16,340 of 22,596
Jun 10, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #16,343 of 22,596
I looked up the Unimogs. Man, now that is some extreme stuff. Well, I'm too old for that now! Haha. I definitely want to do some off-roading but, like you say, that's a whole different level.
Not to derail the thread too much but I like the idea of the EarthRoamer (off road camper), since you can just spend the night wherever you want. No more sticking to paved roads and campsites.

1623332154037.png

1623332505589.png

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #16,344 of 22,596
Not to derail the thread too much but I like the idea of the EarthRoamer (off road camper), since you can just spend the night wherever you want. No more sticking to paved roads and campsites.
Does it come with Abyss car speakers though? :)

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #16,345 of 22,596
Jun 10, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #16,346 of 22,596
They have arrived. It's been just over 12 hours since Abyss shipped them so I was happy to see the UPS truck pull up this morning. The fitment video on youtube is very helpful and I followed that to get a rough fit on my head. I have the pads in the default 10/2 position. I had to stretch the orings a bit and the frame as well but it's sitting comfortably on my head. One thing I noticed is that if you pull the drivers away from your head the frequency of the lower notes increase (in pitch not volume) and it sort of sounds like you are underwater. Not sure why but at least I know that I can leave a gap between the pads and my head up to the point that the frequency changes. I'm still waiting for a more powerful amp to arrive, the Flux Volot, but out of the Flux FA-12 they sound just fine.
12663.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #16,347 of 22,596
Very cool! You had the first class experience. I had coach.

TDinCali, I take my MacBook Pro 💻 with an AQ Dragonfly DAC and Jitterbug plugged into a pair of Grado RS1i hp’s when I travel or go glamping in our big Hilleberg expedition tent. I’m trying to imagine how good adding a Hugo2 would increase my music enjoyment during these trips.

Attachments

• D4ED6118-2AEC-4D77-AF4E-D67B54CB1404.jpeg
    D4ED6118-2AEC-4D77-AF4E-D67B54CB1404.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Jun 10, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #16,348 of 22,596
They have arrived. It's been just over 12 hours since Abyss shipped them so I was happy to see the UPS truck pull up this morning. The fitment video on youtube is very helpful and I followed that to get a rough fit on my head. I have the pads in the default 10/2 position. I had to stretch the orings a bit and the frame as well but it's sitting comfortably on my head. One thing I noticed is that if you pull the drivers away from your head the frequency of the lower notes increase (in pitch not volume) and it sort of sounds like you are underwater. Not sure why but at least I know that I can leave a gap between the pads and my head up to the point that the frequency changes. I'm still waiting for a more powerful amp to arrive, the Flux Volot, but out of the Flux FA-12 they sound just fine.
12663.jpg
Awesome. Some notes about the headband... Abyss recommended to me that I stretch the o-rings by storing the 1266 at the maximum adjustable width, and keeping the headphones on a stand, being held by the headband, not the aluminum frame. The o-rings are meant to stretch over time. If the headband is still too tight, you can buy bigger o-rings. That's what I did. I ended up using o-rings that were 2 sizes bigger (size 216)

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #16,349 of 22,596
Awesome. Some notes about the headband... Abyss recommended to me that I stretch the o-rings by storing the 1266 at the maximum adjustable width, and keeping the headphones on a stand, being held by the headband, not the aluminum frame. The o-rings are meant to stretch over time. If the headband is still too tight, you can buy bigger o-rings. That's what I did. I ended up using o-rings that were 2 sizes bigger (size 216)
Good to know. I don't have a stand for them at the moment but I have to use them at almost max width so I hope that will stretch them out. I also ordered an o-ring set that someone had posted with all the different sizes and I have some dekoni nuggets too just to help with the fit if I need it

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #16,350 of 22,596
Good to know. I don't have a stand for them at the moment but I have to use them at almost max width so I hope that will stretch them out. I also ordered an o-ring set that someone had posted with all the different sizes and I have some dekoni nuggets too just to help with the fit if I need it
If you end up using the nuggets, please post about your experience. I am considering ordering them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back