The Interconnect and Power Cable Thread.
Mar 10, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #61 of 131
hai all
as we know that the pure silver cable is the first best choice for signal cable. i have question about interconnect cable. does we don't have international standard (ISO) for build or make interconnect from pure silver? and if the some company or diyer make pure silver cable? why still have diffrent character when the cable transport the signal from source to audio.
what i talking about is the pure silver cable.
if i want build cable to get the flat, netral sound like as the recording. that has any material to mixing with the silver plated.
thank you if you appreciated to answer. :)

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #62 of 131
  hai all
as we know that the pure silver cable is the first best choice for signal cable. i have question about interconnect cable. does we don't have international standard (ISO) for build or make interconnect from pure silver? and if the some company or diyer make pure silver cable? why still have diffrent character when the cable transport the signal from source to audio.
what i talking about is the pure silver cable.
if i want build cable to get the flat, netral sound like as the recording. that has any material to mixing with the silver plated.
thank you if you appreciated to answer. :)

If you want to DIY an interconnect, then the best method with common tools and materials is typically to get the smallest gauge you can find, 24-30AWG for example. Dielectric of choice is teflon tubing. Then you would twist the pair by hand with atleast 3 twists per inch, and optionally wrap it with a shield of mesh or foil.

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #63 of 131
  If you want to DIY an interconnect, then the best method with common tools and materials is typically to get the smallest gauge you can find, 24-30AWG for example. Dielectric of choice is teflon tubing. Then you would twist the pair by hand with atleast 3 twists per inch, and optionally wrap it with a shield of mesh or foil.

thank you brunk for the answer.
i'm very interesting with audio cable, but still have a lot of different opinions at out there. so i get the answer by my self. does the same cable will have different produce sound character if play from different source?
for now, i have my project to make audio cable "interconnect".
hope one day i can share with head fi member. thank you.

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #67 of 131
In the above two links all I see is nonsense where the specs are supposed to be.

These are what good cable specs look like:

LC-1 Audio Cable Specs:
Physical Characteristics:
Center Conductor - Solid Bare Copper, 25 AWG
Dielectric - Nitrogen-Injected Low-Density Polyethylene
Shield - Braid/Braid, 98% coverage, bare copper
Outer diameter - .305 inch
Certifications:
UL Listing: Yes
NEC Rating: CM (Communications rated; suitable for residential and commercial in-wall installation)
Electrical Characteristics:
Capacitance, conductor to shield: 12.2 pF/ft
Resistance, center conductor: 34 ohms/1000 feet
Resistance, shield: 1.7 ohms/1000 feet

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #69 of 131
I have used over 20+ different interconnects in last few years. The best one in my system was $4900 high fidelity CT-1U.. Followed by hidiamond XLR3 ($2500).. With this two, You don't really need a high resolving setup to hear the differences.

This has to be a joke right?

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #70 of 131
This has to be a joke right?
i am not joking..

I have magnepan 3.6r with custom crossover.
Interconnects go between my DAC and monoblocks. I also had few interconnects costing less than $300 (morrow, clear day, dh labs, jps labs) that sounded pretty good but with high fidelity, hidiamond and teo in place, it was more like a component upgrade.
If you are near vancouver bc i would love to demo how different cables sounds for you non believers out there.

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #71 of 131
i am not joking..

I have magnepan 3.6r with custom crossover.
Interconnects go between my DAC and monoblocks. I also had few interconnects costing less than $300 (morrow, clear day, dh labs, jps labs) that sounded pretty good but with high fidelity, hidiamond and teo in place, it was more like a component upgrade.
If you are near vancouver bc i would love to demo how different cables sounds for you non believers out there.

Oh, I'm a believer - but the idea that a not-so revealing system will allow you to accurately distinguish between interconnects is what I have a hard time believing. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #72 of 131
Oh, I'm a believer - but the idea that a not-so revealing system will allow you to accurately distinguish between interconnects is what I have a hard time believing. 
Ok i should've been little more clearer.
Not so resolving system i mentioned is based on my friends benchmark dac2 -> forgot the headphone amp's name -> hd800 / lcd2 / lcd3 setup so i retract what i said. It was just not as resolving compared to my setup.. My rig is also not a huge $$ system either compared to some crazy ultra fi $100k setup my friends have.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #74 of 131
Can anyone tell me whether there is a lot to be gained from using higher quality interconnect to go from the DAC to amp? I assume there is as I do believe in cables generally but I've never owned a stand-alone DAC before and I'm getting one this week. If they do make a difference I'm looking for something as transparent as possible for preferably less than $60 and it must be as transparent as possible. I have some in use right now which could be swapped if any of then we're deemed suitable. I've got Furukawa (showing my age there), Linn Black Series, Cambridge Audio, Audioquest something or other, Chord.

I would think this might well be the most important cable in the chain but I'm not sure.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #75 of 131
Volex 17604 power cables.

A very well thought of and priced power cable is the NOS Volex 17604s. They have not been manufactured for some time, and when they do appear under on eBay under the Volex name they can go upwards of $30 per cable. But you can also find them on eBay in the guise of Sun server power cables. These are the thick first generation of Volex 17604, the Sun part number is 180-1097-02 X311L. I see them on eBay all of the time using the "Sun X311L" search, there are 15 or so up right now, including a lot of 8 for about $4 per cable. I bought 6 earlier for $20 and that included shipping. A steal I thought, and I have no complaints at all.

Newark also appears to have them as well, but judging from the pictures they are the later revisions of this cable.....much thinner. I have no idea if they are the same in overall sonic performance, and have never used them. http://www.newark.com/volex/17604/power-cord-nema5-15p-iec-c13-2m/dp/93K2606?CMP=KNC-GPLA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back