The Interconnect and Power Cable Thread.
Jan 17, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #106 of 131
I think Blue Jeans are good for the price.  When I tested a used set of AudioQuest Diamondback balanced interconnects against the Blue Jeans, the diamondbacks were obviously better.  When I tested AQ Columbia against the AQ Diamondbacks the Columbia blew the Diamondbacks away.  When I tested AQ Sky . . . oh, never mind . . . you get the idea.  I didn't get much more from the very expensive silver AQ cables until I upgraded the DAC to something insanely expensive.  My recommendation for anyone interested would be to get a set of used Audioquest Columbia cables.  These should be be fantastic for the price (maybe around $200 - $250).  They come up on Audiogon all the time, but I'd try to get a set with the more recent packaging (box instead of bag) and avoid anything that doesn't come with original packaging.  I know everyone has their favorites, I'm just sharing my experience with BJ and AQ.  Used cables on Audiogon have to be one of the better opportunities out there, they sell for a fraction of original prices.  

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #107 of 131
The AudioQuest Diamondback is a very poor design for a balanced audio interconnect. Their design is very susceptible to Shield Current Induced Noise (SCIN).

Shield-Current-Induced Noise -  Current flowing on the shield of balanced audio cables will be converted to differential mode voltage on the signal pair by imperfections in cable construction.
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/Shield_Current_Induced_Noise.pdf
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/SCIN-2.pdf
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #108 of 131
  im using harmonic technology fantasy AC10 power cables for the dac /preamp and amp - power cord is about $200 each used
for interconnects im using soundsilver trilogy II Cu interconnects  approx $129 1m pair 

I have a harmonic tech ac-11 power cord and it is a pretty decent power cable . While it is not what you call a cheap power cable it is not overpriced like a lot of the esoteric cables out there.

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #109 of 131

Wong Kuan Wae of Singapore made this - what seems to be a 3 solid-cores interconnect.

Another interconnect by Wong Kuan Wae of Singapore.  Superb clarity.

A crystal copper and silver hybrid 3.5mm to RCA interconnect by Warren Lazibal.  Great body, detail and air.  

Erei Chua of Singapore made this RCA - RCA interconnect.  Great body in the midrange. 

Je'em Navarro made this for me out of Whiplash 8-wires (70% copper and 30% silver).  A little "slow" but it add midbass to the sound.

8 wires of DHC Peptide v1 cable made by Je'em Navarro.  Forward, fast and full-bodied. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #111 of 131
I used to have the expensive "heavy hitters" from some of the big names: Synergistic, Kimber Sellect, Nordost, Audioquest. While some had an added sense of air and transparency, I'm actually getting the most enjoyment from JW Audio interconnects- the Reference Series (retail is like $360 for 1.5m pair! ) Every frequency excels and for some reason they seem to have the truest tone of any cable I've had. Solid core copper, cryogenically treated. these are the cables that made me stop looking. and frankly I've never been happier. I have no connection at all to JW audio. Just a very happy, content listener.

I I'm also achieving amazing results with Hidiamond P3 power cords. Granted they all go to an ExactPower EP 15A voltage regenerator but, just sayin. At around $300 used, they beat out other very expensive cords.

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #114 of 131
[COLOR=454434]^ JW Audio has an interesting design concept - using a twisted pair is very different than the industry norm.  I'll bet the bass extension on those is phenomenal.  [/COLOR]
I will say that it's seemingly the most accurate bass I've had in my system. VERY tight and fast, not bloaty or muddy at all. When called for, It goes incredibly deep. All of this while having the most beautiful and truthful tone of any cables I've had. It's available with the NEW Eichmann bullets.
My ears and wallet wish I found JW Audio years ago, believe me.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #115 of 131

^ JW Audio has an interesting design concept - using a twisted pair is very different than the industry norm.  I'll bet the bass extension on those is phenomenal.  

I will say that it's seemingly the most accurate bass I've had in my system. VERY tight and fast, not bloaty or muddy at all. When called for, It goes incredibly deep. All of this while having the most beautiful and truthful tone of any cables I've had. It's available with the NEW Eichmann bullets.
My ears and wallet wish I found JW Audio years ago, believe me.

Well, I was wrong about the twisted pair being an unusual design.  It's not.  I found others using the same Helix type pattern on interconnects.  Now I'm curious to check it out !  
L3000.gif

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #116 of 131
Well, I was wrong about the twisted pair being an unusual design.  It's not.  I found others using the same Helix type pattern on interconnects.  Now I'm curious to check it out !  :L3000:

Are you differentiating "twisted pair" from "helix"? If so, what's the difference?

se

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #117 of 131
The JW Audio says they use a Helical design, but judging from the photos it looked more like a twisted pair.  I'm not expert, but In general I think a Helix pattern winds around a common center, whether it is really there or not.  

A twisted pair would look more like this:  

There are lots of interesting designs and photos on the DIY Gallery thread

I'll be making up my own cables before long . . . 

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #119 of 131
In a balanced interconnect, the virtue is that both wires are symmetrical in regard to external interference. That means that the interference signal has the same value on both conductors and cancel out in the input stage.
In an unbalanced interconnect, it's hard to beat a coax.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #120 of 131
In a balanced interconnect, the virtue is that both wires are symmetrical in regard to external interference. That means that the interference signal has the same value on both conductors and cancel out in the input stage.
In an unbalanced interconnect, it's hard to beat a coax.

And it goes beyond symmetry. A twisted pair will also offer low inductance (i.e. a smaller loop area) which makes it less susceptible to interference from noise sources that are largely H field in nature. And a separate electrostatic shield is effective for E field interference.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back