The Interconnect and Power Cable Thread.
Jan 9, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #46 of 131
AES/EBU is a 110 Ohm balanced line that typically has lower noise due to common mode rejection.

S/PDIF is 75 Ohm single ended with less noise immunity.

I have used both connections on my previous DACs with little sonic difference (unless you are running long cables). Then there is USB... :).

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #47 of 131
order of my preference on my Magnepan system with ExaSound E20 > XPA-1s>Storatos Speaker Cable:

1. Tara Labs 0.8EX RCA
2. HiDiamond 8 RCA, High Fidelity CT-1 RCA(tie)
3. JPS labs Superconductor 3 XLR
4. Gabriel Gold Reflection V2 RCA
5. Cardas Clear XLR
6. Supra Sword IXLR 
7. ClearDay Silver RCA
8. DH Labs Revelation RCA silver
9. Kimber Hero RCA
10. anti-cable

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #48 of 131
  My entire A/V system is wired up with Signal Cable (power, analog, Coax, HDMI, Optical) end to end.  Tried everything else including Nordost and Signal suits the bill for me.  Very pleased. Seems to be best bang for the buck along with Blue Jean Cables. Service has always been incredible.
http://www.signalcable.com

I've also dealt with Signal Cable, and agree that they make a great product, no hype, and with great service.  They are definitely worth a look in the very least.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #50 of 131
I have owned or demo'd a lot of interconnects and power corrds in both my headphone and speaker rigs.  The best sounding interconnects I have used are Crimson Music Links.  Austin Hi Fi sends out demos and they are not ridiculously expensive.  The second best were WyWires, which are more expensive than the Crimson Music Links.  If you want something cheaper, Clear Day Cables interconnects are quite good for the money (~$150).  I have owned Purist Audio Design, Tara Labs, Gabriel Gold, Cardas -- none were nearly as good as the Crimsons.

The best power cords I have owned are Mojo Audio Enigmas. I also own a few Triode Wire Labs cords, which are somewhat warmer sounding but don't sound as extended as the Mojo cords. (Overall, I have found that power cords make a bigger difference to sound quality per dollar spent than interconnects, where differences between good and great are usually fairly subtle.)

Hands down, the best speaker cable I have owned are the Clear Day Cables Double Shotguns.  The owner of Clear Day, Paul Laudati, is a really great guy who lends out his cables without even taking a credit card or deposit from customers.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #51 of 131
  AES/EBU is a 110 Ohm balanced line that typically has lower noise due to common mode rejection.

S/PDIF is 75 Ohm single ended with less noise immunity.

I have used both connections on my previous DACs with little sonic difference (unless you are running long cables). Then there is USB... :).

I have tried both the S/PDIF and AES/EBU inputs from the same output on my Perfect Wave DAC and like the AES/EBU connection better -- resolution is a little better than through the S/PDIF input.

I demo'd quite a few digital cables from the Cable Company, including Shunyata Zitron, Analysis Plus, Harmonic Technology, and Wireworld.  The best (by far) was also the least expensive -- the DH Labs Silver Sonic D-110.  Much better than the others.

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #52 of 131
Question for you guys that have your rigs in a stack.  Where can one get cables that are short, like, 9" or so (balanced)?  
I noticed the companies that are mentioned here don't offer anything shorter than 2 ft  :frowning2:

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #53 of 131
Jan 17, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #54 of 131
  Question for you guys that have your rigs in a stack.  Where can one get cables that are short, like, 9" or so (balanced)?  
I noticed the companies that are mentioned here don't offer anything shorter than 2 ft  :frowning2:

A lot of times, these smaller companies will accommodate custom lengths if you just contact them directly. I've ordered custom lengths from a variety of companies mentioned here. I've also had luck contacting some of the headphone cable companies popular here that can do custom length interconnects using similar or even the same wire, geometry, design, etc. as their headphone cables. 

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #55 of 131

I have tried both the S/PDIF and AES/EBU inputs from the same output on my Perfect Wave DAC and like the AES/EBU connection better -- resolution is a little better than through the S/PDIF input.

I demo'd quite a few digital cables from the Cable Company, including Shunyata Zitron, Analysis Plus, Harmonic Technology, and Wireworld.  The best (by far) was also the least expensive -- the DH Labs Silver Sonic D-110.  Much better than the others.

I have owned or demo'd a lot of interconnects and power corrds in both my headphone and speaker rigs.  The best sounding interconnects I have used are Crimson Music Links.  Austin Hi Fi sends out demos and they are not ridiculously expensive.  The second best were WyWires, which are more expensive than the Crimson Music Links.  If you want something cheaper, Clear Day Cables interconnects are quite good for the money (~$150).  I have owned Purist Audio Design, Tara Labs, Gabriel Gold, Cardas -- none were nearly as good as the Crimsons.

The best power cords I have owned are Mojo Audio Enigmas. I also own a few Triode Wire Labs cords, which are somewhat warmer sounding but don't sound as extended as the Mojo cords. (Overall, I have found that power cords make a bigger difference to sound quality per dollar spent than interconnects, where differences between good and great are usually fairly subtle.)

Hands down, the best speaker cable I have owned are the Clear Day Cables Double Shotguns.  The owner of Clear Day, Paul Laudati, is a really great guy who lends out his cables without even taking a credit card or deposit from customers.

Good stuff here....   I will look into the Crimson Music Links..

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #57 of 131
I just stumbled across this website hplaudio.com which looks to have some nice custom interconnects.  
"HPL Audio is exclusively Chris_Himself from Head-Fi, all cables are now produced in-house!"

I wonder if these are any good?  The pure silver ones are enticing.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #58 of 131
I just stumbled across this website hplaudio.com which looks to have some nice custom interconnects.  
"HPL Audio is exclusively Chris_Himself from Head-Fi, all cables are now produced in-house!"

I wonder if these are any good?  The pure silver ones are enticing.

I have some silver plated copper wire on order from him right now to build myself an interconnect, I'm looking forward to it arriving. He's been great to deal with so far.

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #60 of 131
Hey prepro,

Silver-Fi may be bringing their ICs (balanced) back through the US for review if your interested. I'd highly recommend trying them. He also has a prototype USB done in pure silver that may be ready now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back