The Interconnect and Power Cable Thread.
Jan 7, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #16 of 131
  I've been using these Decware's for years: http://www.decware.com/newsite/powercords.htm I've only compared them to a few different aftermarket cords however-but these were an improvement everytime. Basically better transparency, and a less congested sound (i.e. soundstage) is what I notice every time. I also really like their pure silver RCA's-I'm sure Steve would make you some XLRs if you asked...

-Daniel

Wow, those cables look to be a great deal. Also interested in any reviews.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #18 of 131
You can check Decware's forums for user reviews there-I'm not sure if there are any. I know there's a pretty big thread on the RCA-s though.
Being a pretty small, direct sale company, I doubt there's much in the way of reviews out there. Steve's a pretty down to earth, stand up guy though-and I wouldn't hesitate recommending his stuff to first timers.

Personally I haven't tried a lot of interconnect cable rolling or headphone cable rolling-but in my limited experience I haven't noticed much improvements if any. OTOH-I was VERY surprised at the differences between aftermarket power cables with different gear of mine-especially since I didn't hear much from the aforementioned IC/HP cables. YMMV.

-Daniel

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #19 of 131
I use a variety of different stuff but right now the best IC's I've heard for silver is the Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II. Quite expensive, but again these are serious cables for only those that are willing to shell out the price. There are a variety of used ones on Agon from time to time. 

I've built the exact same cable that AZ builds using Neotech NEI-1002. That is the exact same wire they use, with of course their own twist. From the reviews I've read they are basically the same sonically. Even going the DIY route isn't cheap. 

My everyday cables varies as well, but I've owned Signal Cable, Wireworld (one of my favorites for people on a budget), Trevor's cables (formerly Norse Audio), DH Labs, and Acoustic Revive. I've demoed a bunch, and like many others the differences are not huge. Just like swapping headphone cables you aren't going to hear a drastic difference, but it will be there subtly. 

For power cords, I like VH Audio, Neotech, and DH Labs. If you want something that is really hard to beat for the price, try DH Labs Power Plus cables. They are reviewed well, and match up with that $1000 snake oil crap. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #20 of 131
I have a cable box tucked away in a dark corner of my basement.  I'm pretty sure the cables are breeding because every time I go down there it seems like there are a few more I never bought.  As is always the case, I typically have every cable other than the one I need at any given moment, and all the cables have tangled together to form one monstrous super-cable (think Bizarro Captain Planet) that looks like the Flying Spaghetti Monster and has measurable brain waves.  I'd kill it before it has the chance to become fully independent and throttle me in my sleep but I don't know which plug to pull.

Some of the brands for my IC's/power cord/speaker cables box include:

Redco 
Monoprice
BJC
Anti-Cables
DNM
Nordost Freys (treacherous though they are)
Slinkylinks

I had some stealth cables too but I can't find them.  I thought of buying Enigma but I couldn't figure them out.  

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #21 of 131
Jan 7, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #22 of 131
  Bringing Music to Life.  That's what I like to hear.  That will be the motto of my new DAC  "Brings The Music To Life"  That's sure nuff what it does.  If cables can do that as well - Heck looks like a win, win.  I wonder how much something that looks as good as those cables cost..

Crystal Cables are some of the most expensive cables on the market I believe. Prices range from 500-10000, I believe. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #23 of 131
  My entire A/V system is wired up with Signal Cable (power, analog, Coax, HDMI, Optical) end to end.  Tried everything else including Nordost and Signal suits the bill for me.  Very pleased. Seems to be best bang for the buck along with Blue Jean Cables. Service has always been incredible.
http://www.signalcable.com

Their prices are really fair. Thanks for sharing! 

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #26 of 131
  What benefits does sold core interconnects have over stranded if any?

From what I understand, solid core offers superior signal. This is definitely delving into the sound science territory but that is what I've read. There are arguments for litz, stranded, and solid core - so I don't think one is better than the other. I can say that the solid core cables I've heard are more focused and fuller sounding. That seems to coincide with the signal argument. 

OTOH, solid core can be very difficult to work with, and use. They are much more rigid in construction and can break if they are bent. Also, it seems more studios use stranded because it is more flexible and durable. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #27 of 131
Silverfi Rumi ICs Best I've heard to date. Solid silver but very flexible.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672213/silverfi-d-2-vs-oyaide-dr-510-digital-cables-silverfi-spirit-sg-vs-rumi-sg-interconnects-review

http://www.silverfi.com/index.html

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #29 of 131
Good Grief.  Stealth cables are pretty expensive as well.

I have heard different levels of the crystal cables in a friend's system, up to the ultras, and they are very good. But the price range is large, but so is what you get. It would help if you provided some idea on price. And then think about buying used.

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #30 of 131
Have not been into cables for many years. Many of the more expensive brands are pure silver which sounds far better than commonly used silver plated copper (cheap Mil Spec wire). Just make sure that you are getting pure silver, 5-7 nines purity and NO plating!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back