The Audio Lounge
Sep 11, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #3,257 of 36,016
But what if I don't want to hear the answer? Oh right, probably should just put one of those in and listen to music while I ask them :p
That's right, a £500 pair of earplugs. What could possibly be unreasonable about that? :D

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #3,260 of 36,016
For any ex-Trinity crew in here, just posted my review of @JustBobski 's new offering (the R1) on my other blog:

https://audioprimate.blog/2017/09/1...al-ceramicberyllium-hybrid-with-bags-of-tone/

It's a very enjoyable listen, so hoping the new start for Bob pays off and these things get out to people without any of the drama, as they are (for me) the most well balanced and enjoyable tuning he's done yet.

Will post it in Head Gear at some point, but as always, any comments/criticism etc very gratefully received.
Great review. You explained the sound and technology well. They have an interesting construction and seem to be an IEM that will please a lot of people. Thanks for the review.

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #3,261 of 36,016
Put it this way.

I'd buy an A18 before 600+ universal.
I'd buy a $600+ universal. I've listened to several and they sound damn good. Not to mention they retain resale value better. Plus, my view is that without listening to stuff in the price ladder along the way, you can't really get appreciation for what the top of the top is. Do I want an A18? Yes. Would I understand exactly what I'm listening to if I didn't listen to anything else along the way? I don't think so.

Sep 12, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #3,262 of 36,016
I dunno. Not all of custom 64 audio iems are end all be all.

What about those who bought a Noble Katana and prefer that sound signature over A18.

What if someone prefer bob's IMR sound signature over U6.

Just some food for thought.

Yes custom are a great way of helping you achieve a great seal.

I already a great seal on Andromeda.
Ive listened to U12 and U6 and U8. I still prefer Andromeda's specially tuned sound over any of those.

But Empire Ears Zeus and Athena are otherwise. All the Zeus custom IEM are a different story.....

But thing is....you need to know what you want when you go custom. You will waste a lot of money if you find down the road you cannot resell them for a good price like @Midgetguy said. It takes a path for some to discover what they like.

If I bought A12 or A18 without auditioning them like I did...i wouldve wasted my money for no reason.

Also regardless the 64audio Tia fourte I forgot to mention is really amazing. But way too much I would spend on audio gear. Same with AK Sp1000 ultima. No way.

If someday CA or 64audio or EE did come out with a new iem that I did really like with 1,000-1,500 I can always resell Andromeda for most of its cost as long as in excellent condition.

Problem with iems in this competitive 1000 - 4000 cost. Is they all suffer from diminishing returns. You are paying for 10 - 18+ drivers.

You can buy a full size headphone and feel happy for less.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #3,263 of 36,016
Also. I learned some neat ideas from sound science forum.

Also as long as a DAC is modern and well designed to accurately output a audio stream conversion.

A ipod classic. Cayin n3 and AP 200 hidizs should be able to accurately output an audio stream. It should be able to output the entire audio file that a 1000-4000 dap can.

Differences are how the audio file is changed through sound signature and modifications. But at base idea you should be able to hear the entire audio file and everything in it without spending thousands of dollars.

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #3,264 of 36,016

What about those who bought a Noble Katana and prefer that sound signature over A18.

Ive listened to U12 and U6 and U8. I still prefer Andromeda's specially tuned sound over any of those.

But Empire Ears Zeus and Athena are otherwise. All the Zeus custom IEM are a different story.....

But thing is....you need to know what you want when you go custom. You will waste a lot of money if you find down the road you cannot resell them for a good price like @Midgetguy said. It takes a path for some to discover what they like.

If I bought A12 or A18 without auditioning them like I did...i wouldve wasted my money for no reason.

Also regardless the 64audio Tia fourte I forgot to mention is really amazing. But way too much I would spend on audio gear. Same with AK Sp1000 ultima. No way.

If someday CA or 64audio or EE did come out with a new iem that I did really like with 1,000-1,500 I can always resell Andromeda for most of its cost as long as in excellent condition.

Problem with iems in this competitive 1000 - 4000 cost. Is they all suffer from diminishing returns. You are paying for 10 - 18+ drivers.

I've had personal experience with 64 Audio's U12, U10, and U6, a Shure SE846, JH16 Pro FP and Noble K10U Aluminum. For my preferences, probably U12 > U10 > SE846 on the lower half, then the K10 = U6 = JH16 Pro FP on any given day. More expensive doesn't necessarily mean more enjoyment. I bounce between the JH16, Supra, Noble X, and TAE Vyrus 2 in any given week.

Also. I learned some neat ideas from sound science forum.

Also as long as a DAC is modern and well designed to accurately output a audio stream conversion.

A ipod classic. Cayin n3 and AP 200 hidizs should be able to accurately output an audio stream. It should be able to output the entire audio file that a 1000-4000 dap can.

Differences are how the audio file is changed through sound signature and modifications. But at base idea you should be able to hear the entire audio file and everything in it without spending thousands of dollars.
As such, I've had only had 3 DAPs so far (and all happen to be Apple): iPod (30GB), iPod Touch 2G, and currently using the iPod Touch 5g. If I had a phone that could do everything well, I likely wouldn't even have a separate DAP.

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #3,266 of 36,016
So on that basis it really comes down to if you want to use an Amp then? So my ipod / iphone (depending on if I want to carry both) are fine, but could benefit from an amp?
As far as I know, yeah. Obviously still also depends on what IEMs you're using. Most don't really benefit much from an amp at all. Some stuff that does better with amps include multi-BA offerings, but single dynamic drivers can also benefit depending on how the driver was designed.

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #3,267 of 36,016
I've had personal experience with 64 Audio's U12, U10, and U6, a Shure SE846, JH16 Pro FP and Noble K10U Aluminum. For my preferences, probably U12 > U10 > SE846 on the lower half, then the K10 = U6 = JH16 Pro FP on any given day. More expensive doesn't necessarily mean more enjoyment. I bounce between the JH16, Supra, Noble X, and TAE Vyrus 2 in any given week.

As such, I've had only had 3 DAPs so far (and all happen to be Apple): iPod (30GB), iPod Touch 2G, and currently using the iPod Touch 5g. If I had a phone that could do everything well, I likely wouldn't even have a separate DAP.
Really nice! Glad you like u12! If you enjoy warm sound. I find it hard to say otherwise. Its a great phone.

Also enjoy your ipods. I dont think you missing out on details. Maybe the tonality and way other dap manufactures tune with amps. But besides that, the ipod should have a relativity 2000s era dac that convert like any modern one.

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #3,268 of 36,016
So on that basis it really comes down to if you want to use an Amp then? So my ipod / iphone (depending on if I want to carry both) are fine, but could benefit from an amp?
Yep. If you have headphones that need to drive. Definitely you can benefit from it.

But IEMs should be fine. Some harder to drive iems might need an amp. Some amps might add good flavor to sound if you enjoy those too.

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #3,269 of 36,016

Great points.. Maybe I need to continue tip rolling so I can feel better about universals... But since my v6 broke I figured it's better to start with Chi Fi :call_me: :call_me:

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #3,270 of 36,016

I've never owned a DAP, I'm waiting on my first one, the Hidizs AP200. If I don't find it to be a noticeable benefit to me to have a separate DAP, I'll sell it and continue to use my LG G5/E17k combo. Or maybe go ahead and upgrade to the LG V30 with the quad DAC when it becomes available here in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back