The Audio Lounge
Sep 12, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #3,271 of 36,099
Yep. If you have headphones that need to drive. Definitely you can benefit from it.

But IEMs should be fine. Some harder to drive iems might need an amp. Some amps might add good flavor to sound if you enjoy those too.
I need to find my old e11

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #3,272 of 36,099
I've never owned a DAP, I'm waiting on my first one, the Hidizs AP200. If I don't find it to be a noticeable benefit to me to have a separate DAP, I'll sell it and continue to use my LG G5/E17k combo. Or maybe go ahead and upgrade to the LG V30 with the quad DAC when it becomes available here in the US.
I like phone as source. Is v30 better than Note 8?

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #3,273 of 36,099

For audio, yes, according to most reviews. Here is a snippet from THIS COMPARISON:

"The V30’s dark horse is a Hi-Fi Quad DAC that delivers 32-bit playback on headphones and the phone’s loudspeakers. It comes with digital filters, four pre-programmed sound setttings, MQA audio file decoding, and extremely sensitive mic-recording algorithms. Generally speaking, you can expect music and videos to sound better on the V30 than on the Note 8."

A vid worth looking at:

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #3,274 of 36,099
Really nice! Glad you like u12! If you enjoy warm sound. I find it hard to say otherwise. Its a great phone.

Also enjoy your ipods. I dont think you missing out on details. Maybe the tonality and way other dap manufactures tune with amps. But besides that, the ipod should have a relativity 2000s era dac that convert like any modern one.
U12 is a bit warm for my overall listening, but undoubtedly a very good IEM. What the U6, JH16, and K10 go for is more my style. What I will say about the iPods I've used though is that the iPod Touch 5g sounds markedly different than the iPod 30GB and iPod Touch 2g. Dunno if it was the DAC, amps, or combination of both, but the Touch 5g gave a much clearer and less colored sound.

The flagship LG V-series has always been marketed as the phone that will best please the audiophiles and they've been well-received in that manner as well. Many were happy to praise the audio quality of both the LG V10/V20, I can't imagine the LG V30 will stray from the path in that regard.

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #3,275 of 36,099
For audio, yes, according to most reviews. Here is a snippet from THIS COMPARISON:

"The V30’s dark horse is a Hi-Fi Quad DAC that delivers 32-bit playback on headphones and the phone’s loudspeakers. It comes with digital filters, four pre-programmed sound setttings, MQA audio file decoding, and extremely sensitive mic-recording algorithms. Generally speaking, you can expect music and videos to sound better on the V30 than on the Note 8."

A vid worth looking at:

Woah cool. And v30 will use 600mhz for T-Mobile.....

Sep 12, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #3,276 of 36,099
So yesterday I shared some Club 8 stuff.
I have the CD of their album 'Above The City', but my laptop malfunctioned before I had a chance to rip it.
Whilst looking for a FLAC copy online, I found that they'd released a more recent (2015) album, 'Pleasure' that had many great tracks on it too!
So I purchased the new one immediately on Bandcamp in FLAC (and WAV too for my Alien+, as you can download in multiple formats for the price of one!).
It's the only one of their albums that's available on Bandcamp unfortunately.

As part of the purchasing process, you can 'leave a message for the band'.
So I chanced my arm, congratulating them on the great album and asking if there was a FLAC version of 'Above The City' available anywhere for purchase.
And 12 hours later, I got an WeTransfer link from Johann himself (one half of Club 8) to a free lossless version of Above The City! :D

Amazing. I'm going to message them again to say thanks. And ask if they'd be able to sell me 24bit HD versions of their albums :D

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I've been listening to the newer album and enjoying it mightily on my iBasso combo of the DX200 DAP and the IT03 IEM.
I invite you to listen to the first track of the album below (the track is called 'Love Dies').
Not only is it astonishingly beautiful, but from the start of the track, until 1:07 in, the sound starts off low-key and sombre, then just unfolds as more layers and sounds are added in. I can literally experience the perceived limits of my IEM's soundstage increasing in stages and in different directions as they add in more complexity, right up until about 1:06! Try it and see.. :D

Sep 12, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #3,280 of 36,099
So yesterday I shared some Club 8 stuff.
I have the CD of their album 'Above The City', but my laptop malfunctioned before I had a chance to rip it.
Whilst looking for a FLAC copy online, I found that they'd released a more recent (2015) album, 'Pleasure' that had many great tracks on it too!
So I purchased the new one immediately on Bandcamp in FLAC (and WAV too for my Alien+, as you can download in multiple formats for the price of one!).
It's the only one of their albums that's available on Bandcamp unfortunately.

As part of the purchasing process, you can 'leave a message for the band'.
So I chanced my arm, congratulating them on the great album and asking if there was a FLAC version of 'Above The City' available anywhere for purchase.
And 12 hours later, I got an WeTransfer link from Johann himself (one half of Club 8) to a free lossless version of Above The City! :D

Amazing. I'm going to message them again to say thanks. And ask if they'd be able to sell me 24bit HD versions of their albums :D

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I've been listening to the newer album and enjoying it mightily on my iBasso combo of the DX200 DAP and the IT03 IEM.
I invite you to listen to the first track of the album below (the track is called 'Love Dies').
Not only is it astonishingly beautiful, but from the start of the track, until 1:07 in, the sound starts off low-key and sombre, then just unfolds as more layers and sounds are added in. I can literally experience the perceived limits of my IEM's soundstage increasing in stages and in different directions as they add in more complexity, right up until about 1:06! Try it and see.. :D

"Above The City" is actually available on my streaming service (actually, available both for streaming and for sale in lossless format).
I'll listen to it ASAP.

Sep 12, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #3,281 of 36,099
"Above The City" is actually available on my streaming service (actually, available both for streaming and for sale in lossless format).
I'll listen to it ASAP.

Awesome! What streaming service is that?
It's well worth listening to it all. There is quite a variety of different styles of music on there, and also several kind of short, atmospheric 'filler' tracks.
Like it's more of an old fashioned album (in concept, rather than style), designed to be listened to as a whole album rather than just individual tracks :)
Let me know what you think!

Sep 12, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #3,283 of 36,099
In case anyone was curious about the how the Zolo Liberty+ campaign was going, they just sent out an update saying that you've gotta have your shipping addressing in and up-to-date by the end of this week because after that, they're going to be prepping shipments. By the sounds of that, they're gonna be on track for their release target of October.

Sep 12, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #3,285 of 36,099
Awesome! What streaming service is that?
It's well worth listening to it all. There is quite a variety of different styles of music on there, and also several kind of short, atmospheric 'filler' tracks.
Like it's more of an old fashioned album (in concept, rather than style), designed to be listened to as a whole album rather than just individual tracks :)
Let me know what you think!
The streaming service is Qobuz.

And good to know about the concept, I'm an old-fashioned listener! I only listen to albums :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back